Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traeger Grills

Pit Boss or Green Mountain. Traeger is junk, since they stopped making them in the US. The quality really tanked.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Master

Kind of an aside quandary here. We've finally booked a moving company to move us from SE New Mexico to Baytown, TX (greater Houston area). My smoker is home/professionally built to my specs and has a cooking area about 20"x36". It's built from 20" casing and has a firebox that will accommodate typical fireplace length wood. I'm guessing it weighs about 500 pounds from pushing it around and knowing that it took 3 of us to put it in the back of a pickup. It's going to cost about $250 to the move because of the weight and size. The options are to suck it up and move it or sell it and replace it with either a Traeger or some sort of electric smoker. It's not a grill; just an offset smoker. It maintains temperature easily with only manual controls and I enjoy cooking with a wood fire.

I think I could sell it pretty easily for a few hundred bucks and there's the $250 or so I wouldn't be out for moving the behemoth. Replacing it with a similar commercially built reverse flow smoker would run over $2500. I don't really want to spend that much so that limits me somewhat. I don't want to go back to a lightweight Char-Griller or similar big box smoker. What would you do?
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Kind of an aside quandary here. We've finally booked a moving company to move us from SE New Mexico to Baytown, TX (greater Houston area). My smoker is home/professionally built to my specs and has a cooking area about 20"x36". It's built from 20" casing and has a firebox that will accommodate typical fireplace length wood. I'm guessing it weighs about 500 pounds from pushing it around and knowing that it took 3 of us to put it in the back of a pickup. It's going to cost about $250 to the move because of the weight and size. The options are to suck it up and move it or sell it and replace it with either a Traeger or some sort of electric smoker. It's not a grill; just an offset smoker. It maintains temperature easily with only manual controls and I enjoy cooking with a wood fire.

I think I could sell it pretty easily for a few hundred bucks and there's the $250 or so I wouldn't be out for moving the behemoth. Replacing it with a similar commercially built reverse flow smoker would run over $2500. I don't really want to spend that much so that limits me somewhat. I don't want to go back to a lightweight Char-Griller or similar big box smoker. What would you do?
    I'd move the thing for that price any day. You won't get better for a lot more if you try to replace it, it sounds like you designed it for your use so it's a toss up if it will fit anyone else's use. It fits you and you enjoy using it. To me it's a no briner.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post

Pay the mover! I miss my offset but it was a larger one for catering and to big for just cooking for myself/friends.

Vendor Sponsor

You know That grill, you like to cook with it and its WELL built . I would move it for sure .. Even at $350.00 you will njot get anything like it for double the price
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Google ugly drum smokers,I just put one together from parts I had laying around my shop. You can make it plain or fancy. Just ran mine this weekend 12 hrs on about 8 lbs of charcoal 4 chunks of wood.

Moderator Emeritus

You will love a pellet smoker, turn it on, preheat, cook. I did a baked potato and a chicken leg quarter on mine tonight. Cooked at 375.

Boolit Master

How long does it take a pellet grill to come up to normal cooking temperature?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    How long does it take a pellet grill to come up to normal cooking temperature?
    I don’t own one but watch YouTube videos of guys that do, and they claim it takes 15-20 minutes...or about one beer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Takes mine about 10 min.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Anyone know anything about the Rec Tec grill the Bull-RT-700
    https://www.rectecgrills.com/bull-rt...-pellet-grill/
    Last edited by DCP; 07-21-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

10-15 minutes for mine on a calm day, windy/rainy slows it down...

Boolit Master
    David, if it is a solid strong piece of equipment you enjoy cooking on I suggest moving it. A replacement will not be as well constructed for the price and there is enjoyment of using good equipment every time used. Most all products are being made with less quality as the years go by and holding onto great old stuff becomes the challenge. My cast iron pan used almost daily is over 100 years old and still is a pleasure to use. Often I used Old Hickory knives from days gone by when they were sold sharp. Old heavy strong equipment that works beautifully is to be cherished.

Boolit Master

Thanks to all. You helped cement my gut feeling that I should keep the heavy smoker. SWMBO looked at the comments and agreed. Never hurts to have her on board.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

This smoker is constructed of 3/16”-1/4” plate and the counterweight for the lid is a Browning Buck and Doe of 1” plate. You guys are right; not replaceable.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I have been using the, Green Mountain Grill, Davey Crocket almost daily for 2 years. Love the little grill and it goes with us when we go camping.Gluten free Brownies, pizza, cake and all forms of meat have been wonderfully cooked in it. Many times when camping it is filled to capacity with our meat for supper and friends meats.

Very happy with Green mountain Grill!

Get anyone you like, you will love the way they cook.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Pit Boss love it for ease of cooking and clean up. Much cheaper than a Treager. That being said I have only had mine a couple years so I cannot attest to the long haul durability. I will also say that it is the only grill I have ever owned that my wife would use actually loves to use it.
    I was not sure about a pellet grill and needed a new one so I opted for a $399.99 Pit Boss 820. Whenever I have to replace it it will be a pellet grill regardless.
    That being said I have a separate smoker for bbq.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12