Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traeger Grills

Boolit Master

Traeger Grills

Every person that I have talked to that owns a Traeger grill just raves about them.
    The only thing keeping me from buying one is the price.
    My question is: Is there a knock off grill out there that is equal to the Traeger for less money?
    I see a few grills that look and operate like the Traeger for less money.

Vendor Sponsor

If you want to replace your China made Traeger knock off in a few years, buy one. I bought a used Traeger over 10yrs ago, the steel in the body will last easily another 20-30 years. It's heavy. I have seen the copies, reminds me of the days of my youth where we would laughingly comment about Honda motorcycles made out of beer cans. Same deal.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I was in the same boat. I couldn't justify the price of a new Traeger. I am new to smoking, have done a little on the grill over the years but I am easing into retirement and thought this was something I wanted to learn. I have no doubt I could hand a Traeger down to my kids but for my needs right now I went with a Pit Boss. Since I haven't used them both, I can't do a side by side comparison. I just know I spent $400 and it does everything I want to do.

I know several people with a Pit Boss and they rave about them.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Go read some grilling/bbq forums. The Camp Chef Wood Wind (I think its called) is sposed to be better and cheaper. Its the one I would get but there are several that are better than Traeger.

Super Moderator

We own a Traeger, and we love it. Yeah it's a little spendy up front, but I will say that their customer service is second to none if you ever have a problem with it. Keeps the temperature right where you set it, just like an oven. I give them a thumbs up, I don't think you'll regret the purchase of one. It's been a good investment for us for sure.

Banned
    “Buy once, cry once” comes to mind.
    The guy who has a YouTube channel called ‘The Wolfe Pit’ uses a couple different smoker grills, one of which is a Grilla grill. It’s spendy, too.
    R/Griff

Moderator Emeritus

I have one of the last USA made Traegers, compared to the new ones it is TWICE as heavy with a lot thicker steel. Pit Boss gets good reviews as does Green Mountain and if memory serves me both have the ability to sear a steak by removing a drip tray.

And you get what you pay for, this is a long term investment... my Traeger is at least 12 years old now. It is stored indoors when not in use so it is basically rust free.

I shopped and went with a Louisiana grill. Heavy and won’t blow over in the SD wind!
    I liked the fact the burner was off to the side so it had air flow from left to right. No smoke stack (which Traeger just did away with...), and the Louisiana has an opening in the plate over the burner you can open to char grill over a wood flame.

All my slow cooks are done by pellet with a Weber blue tooth thermo to my iPhone. Set the temp and forget it. Just keep an eye on the level of the pellets. I bought the optional add on hopper for overnight cooks but have never run out. Get up at 2am, start the grill and get a beer. Prep the pork butt and put it on at 3am. Go back to bed. Ready the next day in early afternoon for a bbq party.

Boolit Grand Master

Joe Rogan sure raves about them but too pricey for me
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I must be the odd man out i have never heard of them. I just have my no name grill that i have been using for almost 20 years. And you know what i doubt the food knows.

Boolit Man
    If your going to buy a Traeger I would look at Pitts N Spits before you buy. They have both pellet grills and stick burners. Much thicker steel for the cook chamber, Stainless lid and a better build. Large amount of cooking space as well. You can even get it 100% stainless if you want.

I have the stick burner version (Ultimate Combo Smoker Pit 24x36). Great pit and can cook up to 5 briskets at one time and still have ample room to spare. Pit is about #400 pounds in weight. Temp is very constant and due to the design hot spots are limited. Will last for many years.

Vendor Sponsor

If you are only cooking for 2 or 3 people look at these

Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Pellet Grill – WIFI enabled
    Very good pellet grill and Amazon has them for $312.00 and free Prime shipping

and July 16th they just might be on the prime day specials.. No guarantee they will be but who knows
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I have the pit boss and love it. My father in law has the traeger and he likes it as well. I wouldn't spend the money for a traeger as there are better grills out there for the price. My next one will be a rec tec if the pit boss ever wears out

Boolit Master

Love my Davy Crocket - it comes to Baja with me every trip. I got it when I was working a remote job for a year and living out of my trailer. Cooks everything and does a great job. I also have its big brother - the Daniel Boone at home. All the new Green Mountain Grills run on either 12 volt DC or 110 volt AC, so camping off grid is no problem with any of them. Before, only the Davy Crockett ran 12 volt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161558479.3U48gRre.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	245154
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161566417.C7ce3Lnt.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	245155

Moderator Emeritus

One nice thing about a pellet pit is you can use them as an oven. I bake bread in mine in summer! I have made pie, cobbler, apple crisp...

And pizzas!!

Papa Murphy’s Tuesday’s, any pizza for $10

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got my second Traegar for Fathers Day. Wife found it on sale at Home Depot. Gave my other one to the kid. They really enjoy it too.

I usually use Apple pellets, but have a bag of hickory, mesquite and pecan blend I am going to try

Moderator Emeritus

I have two smokers, a charcoal grill and a lp grill hooked to my 500 gallon tank. I don't see a need to buy pellets. 90 % of our outdoor camp cooking is done in dutch ovens.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Super Moderator

I have taken my big Traeger grill camping once, and ran it off the inverter of my Tacoma. I don't think I would do that again, because it's dang heavy. They make smaller ones though, the Tailgater and one called the Scout. These things work so well that I'm totally sold on them, so easy to use.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...RoC2iUQAvD_BwE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast