Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti Wells Fargo Schofield revolver

Boolit Master

Uberti Wells Fargo Schofield revolver

I decided as a retirement gift to myself that I was going to buy a revolver I always wanted. I have always had an eye for a Schofield. I really wanted an original, but I can't afford one no matter how much I like them, so I went the next best route with an Uberti version, but I wanted the shorter barreled Wells Fargo model. I got it in .45 Colt, and one thing I did when I bought it was since the original grips were kind of blocky was to find a set of aftermarket grips. I picked up a set on Ebay, they're cherry, and they were unfinished, so I added four coats of Tru-oil which gives it a really nice honey color and brought out the grain.
    Today I took it out with some Winchester 250 grain rounds. The Schofield isn't all that uncomfortable, especially with these grips, I would describe the grip angle as weird, just something very different from the Colt SAA style. The trigger on this gun is wonderful and it points pretty instinctively. The bullseye target was shot at 7 yards offhand, one handed, and the silhouette was shot at 10 yards one handed. The ejection of the empty rounds is exactly like you hear about with Schofields, simple and easy. I wouldn't hesitate to carry this gun one bit.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice! The Schofield is on my bucket list

Boolit Master
    Nice gun! I like how you finished the grips.

I’ve always wanted one as well, but other guns keep getting pushed to the head of the line.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Your grips turned out beautiful! A great looking revolver - have always had a hankering for one but never got to one on my bucket list .. . . . maybe someday? Looks like it shoots well and the 45 is one of my favorite handgun calibers . . . load both LC and Schofield for my Uberti SAA. Congrats on your retirement and enjoy that "retirement gift" . . . she's a beauty!

I have the Schofield in a .38 Special with the 7" BBL. Like yours, it is quite accurate, functions reliably and is a great target pistol in that caliber. The grips on yours looks very nice and I'd say your 5" in the .45 Colt will make it a better carry gun than the longer barreled model. Because of the way Uberti has modified the hammer safety, their Schofield can be safely carried with 6 rounds in the cylinder.

Boolit Master
    Nice. The Uberti Schofields are very well built and finished, and shoot great

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BPSharps View Post
    Nice! The Schofield is on my bucket list
    YEP!! On my bucket list also.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats! That’s a beautiful piece. I had a cimarron with 3” barrel 6-8yrs ago. I foolishly traded if off and wish I could find another. Hold on to it, I’m still on the hunt for a replacement.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master
    Those are neat guns I could probably wear one out just playing with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Man alive is that thing nice looking.

Congrats on the wheel gun and retirement!

Rich
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Boolit Master

Nice grips

I've always like the Wells Fargo length. The two I had were the longer barrels, one in .44/40 and one in .45 Colt.
    I think the grip was weird too, after years of shooting plow handle Colts and Uberti model P's. And the sights are different too.

Boolit Master
    I cannot understand why that revolver didn't outsell the Colt 10 to 1. If I had lived in the old west and carried a pistol The Schofield would have been it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I think guys back then weren't as keen on the S&W as it was different than what they were used to, being brought up on cap and ball Colts. It just didn't feel "right" to most people, although some outlaws and lawmen were known to have used them.
    Plus the Schofield was a more complex design and not as rugged as the Colt. Unless you were in a big city (Denver, St Louis, San Fransisco), there probably weren't many gunsmiths that could work on a S&W or had parts for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I cannot understand why that revolver didn't outsell the Colt 10 to 1. If I had lived in the old west and carried a pistol The Schofield would have been it.
    Glen, you are not alone in that opinion. I feel the same way. I have tried for a while to FORGET ABOUT buying one of these repros, and their cost is only one of the reasons I balk. I would far prefer to have a Schofield repro in its original caliber--45 S&W. If the 44 Russian variant didn't have that decadent trigger guard, I might consider one of those. Russians do strange things at times, and that extra finger hook thing mystifies me. "Perfect" for me would be the Wells Fargo/5" barrel/45 S&W.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Congratulations on your retirement and your new revolver!
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Very handsome revolver. Congratulations!

Boolit Grand Master

It did! Well, maybe not 10-1, but a lot. Just to the Russians, and for gold as well. Very little of the production ended up here.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    I think guys back then weren't as keen on the S&W as it was different than what they were used to, being brought up on cap and ball Colts. It just didn't feel "right" to most people, although some outlaws and lawmen were known to have used them.
    Plus the Schofield was a more complex design and not as rugged as the Colt. Unless you were in a big city (Denver, St Louis, San Fransisco), there probably weren't many gunsmiths that could work on a S&W or had parts for them.
    While I have never owned a S&W Schofield I have owned several Colt SA and still own one. I have found them to be anything but rugged. I gave up on trying to keep the ejector rod housing attached to the one I have now. I got very tired and frustrated looking for that little screw. The grip frame has too many parts and frequently shoot loose. Back in the day, owners of the colt would dip the screws in varnish to keep them from backing out. No Lock Tite in those days. I will say this in the Colt's defense. They do look and feel good in the hand.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

While I have never owned a S&W Schofield I have owned several Colt SA and still own one. I have found them to be anything but rugged. I gave up on trying to keep the ejector rod housing attached to the one I have now. I got very tired and frustrated looking for that little screw. The grip frame has too many parts and frequently shoot loose. Back in the day, owners of the colt would dip the screws in varnish to keep them from backing out. No Lock Tite in those days. I will say this in the Colt's defense. They do look and feel good in the hand.
    The Colt revolver represented the highest level of manufacturing development of its time (not necessarily design development). The ergonomics of the Colt seemed to fit more people than other brands and the gun was/is easy to repair. The Schofield and other S&Ws are fragile and fiddley by comparison. Fall off your horse on to your Smith revolver and it is likely bent beyond repair, the same accident with a Colt SAA probably won't damage it at least my 240 pounds did not bend my SAA when I fell on it. I have a Schofield and like it very much and find it easier to shoot than the Colt but it is not revolver the Colt SAA is in spite of the Colt's faults.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast