MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uberti Wells Fargo Schofield revolver

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    The Colt revolver represented the highest level of manufacturing development of its time (not necessarily design development). The ergonomics of the Colt seemed to fit more people than other brands and the gun was/is easy to repair. The Schofield and other S&Ws are fragile and fiddley by comparison. Fall off your horse on to your Smith revolver and it is likely bent beyond repair, the same accident with a Colt SAA probably won't damage it at least my 240 pounds did not bend my SAA when I fell on it. I have a Schofield and like it very much and find it easier to shoot than the Colt but it is not revolver the Colt SAA is in spite of the Colt's faults.
    Dan, in a prolonged gun fight you would have to admit, the S&W reloads must faster. I regard the Remington 1875 revolver a better design than the Colt. It had a one piece frame as the 1858 cap & ball model did. I will go even further with my blaspheme. I think the Colt SA was obsolete the day it came out. I will have to admit once again they not only look good, they feel better in my hand than any other hand gun, even today's handguns. I have small hands.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I had a original Schofield when I was in high school. It was tight but blue was gone years before I got it. It had been a longer barrel and had decent cut of job and a piece of a dime for a front sight. Rifling wasn't to good and it didn't shoot well. I've always wanted a nice original but not at the prices nowadays. The only ones I've seen the last few years at shows were low condition high priced speciments. I know where a nice one is at and have been waiting for 40yrs to get my hands on it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of the 2000 S&W Schofields in 45 S&W and it is one of the most accurate revolvers I own.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    In the mid 1960s I was looking at a very large gun collection belonging to a women whose husband had died and left her with a house full of all kind of firearms. The man bought everything that fired a bullet. Most of them were priced cheap by today's standards, it was the 1960s. I bought two Colt SA. One in 32-20, which I still have and the other in 45Colt. I gave $180 for the pair. The women had a large drawer full of them. She had an adviser who knew guns and their value. The lady also had a Scholfield stamped W-F CO. It looked like the one this post is about. It was priced at $400. Far out of mine price range. I don't recall if she sold it or not. I bought many guns from her, mostly for friends of mine. The last time I was there she still had hundreds of guns.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

David,
    Just stopped by drool. That's a really nice piece.

Boolit Buddy
    This may be viewed by some as heresy, but I have 'improved' the grip on my reproduction Schofield with a Tyler grip adapter. Apparently S&W frame size is inherited; not only does an adapter for the modern N frame fit, but the weapon fits nicely in custom made N frame holsters.

Boolit Master

I've had one since they came out; .45Colt - 7" bbl.
    I don't think they are better or faster loading then a Colt SAA. The SAA is easier to maintain. And May GOD Help you if you ever dry fire it on an Empty Chamber. That Exceptionally Long Hammer Nose (firing pin) of the Schofield will snap right off. The only Fix is a Whole New HAMMER. The spare I bought and haven't needed yet, cost just under a $100 bucks over 15yrs ago.

With a Colt the Firing Pin can be replaced in the field. I know, I've done it on the seat of my Gun cart for 2 people in the middle of a Cowboy Shoot. Took 10-15minutes. Screw drivers, a little brass hammer and a Firing Pin and rivet (parts I always carry, but have never used for my own SAA's, yet).

A Colt SAA can be loaded one empty ejected, one Cartridge loaded.

John Wayne does this after the "Shooting Lesson" in His last Movie; "The Shootist".

While you Can open and eject all rounds from a Top Break Schofield Model, with only one hand. Reloading it is not something I'd care to try from the back of a Plunging Horse.

I can however eject empties and reload fresh cartridges, one after the other from the back of a restless Horse. One not overly fond of it's Rider shooting over it's head.

It's Amazing the stupid things 17yr olds will do.

Literally growing up shooting Colt & Ruger SA's from the age of 5yrs, I can strip down & reassemble Colts & OM Rugers in minutes.

Taking down that UBERTI Schofield Terrified Me. Took me 3 days to get it back together.

Trying to load it on horseback, it would be next to impossible to keep live rounds in the cylinder as you put more in. Closing it and keeping the rounds in the cylinder would Really be impossible.

And as for Holsters; the 2 Mexican double loop that Gordon Davies made for my NM SBH's 30+yrs ago, will fit all my 7-7 1/2" Revolvers. Old Vaquero's, Remington 1875 and the Schofield - 7" bbl. Plus any Colt SAA or clone.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    The only gripe I have with the Uberti is the lack of a gas ring. I know they did it so they could lengthen the cylinder enough to shoot .45 Colt, but this makes attempting to shoot black powder loaded cartridge an exercise in frustration. My Uberti .44 Russian is marginally better, but no combination of bullet lubes or cylinder pin lubricants has effectively controlled the fouling.

By contrast, an original No. 3 Smith will digest a couple hundred rounds of black powder without getting gritty or binding. The same is true for the old Iver Johnson black powder era break top revolvers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W#3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	245485

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12