RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Post 64 Winchester 94 issues.

Post 64 Winchester 94 issues.

We all know about the finish issues common to the post 64 winchester 94.

I'm curious as to other common issues with them. Are there any parts that are common for wear or breakage? And if so, what's the repair.

My winchester 94 made in 1970 is tight and works well and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks
    Bazoo

Boolit Master
    About the only thing that comes to mind is the stamped carrier on the post '64 rifles and carbines. Replacing the stamped ones for milled ones aka using the ones made prior to the post '64's. Having said that all three of my post '64 Winchesters to date have not given me any problems. Frank

Thanks for the reply.

My rifle has something other than a machines or stamped carrier. Not sure if it's sintered or MIM. I don't think it's investment cast.

Boolit Master
    if its a chunky looking one,then it will be sintered from somewhat later gun.............ive never had any trouble with the stamped ones......but stamping and forming parts from sheetmetal requires the "grain " of the steel sheet be correctly aligned to bends...which normally it will be.........Ones Ive seen pics of broken appear to have the grain orientation wrong,or maybe the sheet not correctly annealed.....or maybe someone had a go at modifying /bending them.....Making a gun seems simple ,but there are a million small details that must be correct for a satisfactory result........The common place to break is where the slot to allow the stop to be folded up,and IMHO,a spot of TIG is a good permanent fix............if you try to modify a 94 to a different cartridge ,you soon realize just how critical all the interacting dimensions are.......and can easily end up with a single shot.

Thanks for the reply John.

One of the things that concerns me is that I've seen guns of the same era as mine in stores that were very sloppy at the locking bolt. I've seen several and I'm wondering I there is a particular part that wears unduly.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 94AE in .44 mag- when feeding factory rounds it would feed fine. When feeding the 429421 it would double/triple feed and lock the rifle up. Out came the tig torch and build up and cut back to put the appropriate amount of "tit" back on. Lots of build up,shape and cut back. Now it feeds like a champ.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    We all know about the finish issues common to the post 64 winchester 94.

I'm curious as to other common issues with them. Are there any parts that are common for wear or breakage? And if so, what's the repair.

My winchester 94 made in 1970 is tight and works well and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks
    Bazoo
    one of the corners they cut was to eliminate the stirrup connecting the mainspring to the hammer but kept the flat spring - so instead of a nice smooth pivot the spring under tension rubbed along in a recess under the hammer - everything still worked but addedd one more point of roughness to the action - coil mainspring came later and improved it - dont know how long this was in place but I had one of those clunky 30/30's that was bought new in the late 1970's.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks for the reply John.

One of the things that concerns me is that I've seen guns of the same era as mine in stores that were very sloppy at the locking bolt. I've seen several and I'm wondering I there is a particular part that wears unduly.
    In all likelihood, those rifles were loose from the factory. Winny wasn't too particular about fitting things properly. I've seen some new ones that the action would open just by gravity.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.