Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastco
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Short Encore 223 rem

Short Encore 223 rem

Well I would like this to be a cast boolit post ... but ... it aint.

Wanted a 22 mag like load for my Encore 17 inch barrel. But it did not happen with the Lee 225-55 RF. I tried with it and no joy yet. Gonna have to try ordering several kinds of cast boolits to try getting 22 mag like loads ... HOWEVER ... I did find joy with 50 grainers

Hornaday 50 grain red tipped jacketed did the trick for now. Those and trailboss powder made my day today.

Lee 4 die loading dies and I neck sized the mix of cases. Then primed them with CCI small rifle primers. Next I loaded 4.1 grains trail boss powder in the cases. After this I seated the 50 grainers just deep enough to just lack kissing the rifling by about .020. No crimp. Just neck tension.

Trepidation set in as I set up at the range. Setting this short barreled dandy on the rest, I squeezed off the first shot ... bingo ... center shot at 25 yards. Gently squeezing off the 2nd shot ... double bingo ... just enlarged the first hole.

Third shot I got edgy and pulled it to the right about 1/4 inch ... last 2 enlarged the first two out to bout 5/15ths inch for 4 with the 3rd hanging out to the right bout 1/4 inch.

These little hummers shoot so easy AND pretty quiet. I have found a fun and very accurate load. Going to take my chronny next time to record the speed.

Now all I will search out will be some boolits that I can coax into doing the same. I KNOW I can find a good combo ... maybe with these Lee's. Gonna take some and PC them and see if I can get em to group.

So looked up the speed, goin bout 1050 fps. 55 grain 22 LR. Fun fun

Evidently I would be the only one enthralled with this unexpected fun surprise.

Yep ... Lee 55 grain boolits did the trick Powder Coated Ford blue. Same load but did not weigh em to ensure a tight similarity shot to shot.

Today I weighed and sorted into 56 +- .05 grain and 57 grain with the same +-.05 grain.

Loaded 20 of the 56 grainers over 6 grains Unique powder to the crimp groove which keeps em around .020 inch off the rifling.

Will give a range report on these when I get time to shoot em.

What I am looking for is a reloadable 22 LR or Magnum using cheap lead and accurate enough to forage for birds n squirrels and such. Do not want em to expand and as quiet as I can get em. Going to build and register a can also but that later.