RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Molds for .50 BMG?

Boolit Buddy

Molds for .50 BMG?

I have a bunch of .50bmg rounds. However, for plinking I'd like to roll my own. Would also be handy to figure out how to capture the lead in the backstop somehow. For those that have done it, what are some remaining options? I say remaining because it seems like a few "used to" but no longer make them.

EDIT: Also, what about a sizing die and gas checks?

Thanks!
    Last edited by emt1581; 07-10-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post
    I actually spoke to NOE last week. That was the only one I was able to find.

Thanks

Boolit Master

what style boolits are you looking for? I have 4 different. 512 molds that I can cast for.

One is the NOE 513-580 referenced. it is a gas check and plain base mold, so I have both options.

I also have the NOE 513-888 bmg mold in plain base. I don't plan on shooting it fast in a straight walled case in a light rifle.

I also have 2 MP molds. I think both are the 640 profile boolits. so both have a wide meplate or a flying ashtray hollowpoint. the 440 grain is a gas check if I really want to try and push it. the 525 grain is a plain base.

I really dont know what I have cast or not at the moment. the tornado rearranged all my stuff for me and I've only started going through some of it

If you wanted to try some, I'd be happy to accommodate you if I can. Just let me know.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 07-10-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    what style boolits are you looking for? I have 4 different. 512 molds that I can cast for.

One is the 513-580 referenced. it is a gas check and plain base mold, so I have both options.

I also have the 513-888 bmg mold in plain base. I don't plan on shooting it fast in a straight walled case in a light rifle.

I also have 2 MP molds. I think both are the 640 profile boolits. so both have a wide meplate or a flying ashtray hollowpoint. the 440 grain is a gas check if I really want to try and push it. the 525 grain is a plain base.

I really dont know what I have cast or not at the moment. the tornado rearranged all my stuff for me and I've only started going through some of it

If you wanted to try some, I'd be happy to accommodate you if I can. Just let me know.
    Wow! Lots of info there. To clarify...do you make and sell molds or are you offering something else?

To be honest, I'm not sure what weight or shape I'd go with. Not sure of the pros/cons of each at that caliber. All I have is ball, API, and APIT...so no experience with cast rounds.

Also, you said "light rifle"....what .50BMG is light?? Mine is a single shot (planning on upgrading to an M82A1 in the next year or two) and mine weighs 20-30lbs. easy.

Thanks!!

Boolit Master

Those are molds I have purchased have purchased from NOE and Mihec (MP molds) I was offering to send you some boolits if youd like to try some before buying a mold.

My rifle is not here yet, but will be a .50 razorback, a 2.375" cut down Remington Ultra Mag case. the rifle should weigh in the 10-12 lb range, so yeah, it'll be light. I have a bunch of API bullets I want to plink with, also. The rifle should push the API bullets to 1700 or 1800 fps. Not sure that I want to shoot the rifle at max velocity of the case, though.

A Remington 870 with 1 ounce slug at 1300-1400 fps isnt bad, but a 1 1/2 ounce slug a few hundred fps faster in a slightly heavier rifle might be a bit too much. I'll have to wait and see. lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Those are molds I have purchased have purchased from NOE and Mihec (MP molds) I was offering to send you some boolits if youd like to try some before buying a mold.

My rifle is not here yet, but will be a .50 razorback, a 2.375" cut down Remington Ultra Mag case. the rifle should weigh in the 10-12 lb range, so yeah, it'll be light. I have a bunch of API bullets I want to plink with, also. The rifle should push the API bullets to 1700 or 1800 fps. Not sure that I want to shoot the rifle at max velocity of the case, though.

A Remington 870 with 1 ounce slug at 1300-1400 fps isnt bad, but a 1 1/2 ounce slug a few hundred fps faster in a slightly heavier rifle might be a bit too much. I'll have to wait and see. lol.
    10-4. That makes sense. And thanks for the offer. Once I get my .50 press and dies I might take you up on that offer so I can do some testing. I got a couple hundred rounds of API/APIT in the deal when I bought my gun. So I'm good for quite a while with those...unless I get the Barrett...then that's only a couple dozen mags or so. Plus I'm saving those for a tyrannical day.

Thanks again!

Boolit Master

The 50RB has pushed a 440 grain boolit to 2300+ fps, so even though the case is smaller than the BMG, it is still potent.

Boolit Master

Your welcome. If I can help you out with some boolits in the future let me know.

Basically, my rifle will be about a 50-110 or 50 Alaskan that can handle 60-65k psi chamber pressures.

Boolit Buddy
    Your welcome. If I can help you out with some boolits in the future let me know.

Basically, my rifle will be about a 50-110 or 50 Alaskan that can handle 60-65k psi chamber pressures.

Much appreciated. As far as sizing die and gas checks...what are you using?

Thanks

Boolit Master

I have purchased some of the gator gas checks sold by Blammer here and by NOE. The only sizer I have at the moment is a lubesizer die in 0.512" diameter I have a holder to use it like a push through sizer. I may have to get someone to make me a push through sizer in different sizes if they are required.

I dont know if 0.512 will work on my chamber yet, but I'm hopeful it'll be just right. if not, I'll have to address that at the time.

ETA: I have also purchased the NOE sizer system with body bushing in 0.511 diameter. However, I have used it all yet. So I'll have 2 options, 0.511 and 0.512", for boolit sizes.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 07-11-2019 at 12:03 AM.