Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do?!?!?

Boolit Master

Since it is not the style I want in a 92, I would remove the barrel, magazine and stocks. It would then get a new 20 inch half octagon barrel in 32-20 a blind magazine, schnobble forearm and buttstock with a rifle buttplate. The parts removed would be kept in case a future owner wanted to return it to original.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master
    What a great dilemma to have. Of course it boils down to what you want but I'm a #2 guy. Some re-lines are just about invisible. It would become a shooter again and continue life doing what it was born to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to a fellow CB member, I will be purchasing some 25-20 brass and it shall continue to be a 25-20. Because so many of you have shared your very valuable input, I will be bringing you all along on the ride as I work up loads and take her out to shoot once more.

You already have a 32-20 (and they're pretty slow comparatively) so I'd go with the faster cartridge. You can buy bee brass and size up, with a little trim to length loss. Maybe another option I'm sure won't be the purist choice: reline to .218 bee. That thing gets there!

Otherwise, reline to 25-20

Boolit Master
    before doing anything clean that bore real good. I picked up a 92 rifle in .32-20 one time cheap because it had no bore left. I got it it home and started cleaning. yep it was leaded up.

Moderator Emeritus

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...1s0oo56cd30d13
    I would try this mold, hope it casts fat, Beagle it if it doesn't, get a custom sizing die @ 0.261" and try it with fat bullets. It gives you an attempt to make the gun work as is.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

#2. Reline to 25 20.

Boolit Buddy
    Bob- I scrubbed her like we all had to when we came home with dirt under our fingernails. No rifling left on the old girl. Ran the new hawkeye down the bore as well, can see some rifling at the very beginning. To my knowledge it has only shot jacketed factory rounds. #2 is the route I am going with, thanks to a member here who had a bunch of brass in 25-20. Midway is sending cowboy dies and Meister bullets. It will be a sole cast rifle, the ammo I have for it already will very likely find a collector. My 32-20 is a lead slinger as well and I am more than happy with it.

My legitimate fear is that the 25 won't be able to keep up to the 30. Will have to wait and see. Don't want to jinx anything!

Thanks again everyone!

Boolit Master
    well I was hoping the bore cleaning would have worked for you . but I would reline it back to the original cal. then.

Boolit Buddy
    Update: I had the rifle re-lined back to a 25-20 and received it Friday night. Yesterday I took the beginning loads and some antique factory stuff and went to the rifle range. I will likely increase the powder from 4.5 to 5 grains of unique on the little lead bullets (85 grain?) and give it another go. It is a great companion to my 32-20, glad I did it. The smith who did the work could get a TJ'S liner, we went with a Redman. Now it is just getting the sights aligned and true the front sight (somewhere in the last 108 years it has flattened out and has a dogleg). Thank you one and all for the insight on what to do with this, will post pictures of the target when things slow down a bit.

Boolit Master

I do a lot of work for collectors. If the bore is bad it is not valuable to a collector, most of them want something that looks like it was never used. I get lots of these in for reline because they are worth more as a shooter than a collectable. If a person is worried about loosing the original, a new barrel can be installed and the old barrel set aside, it can always go back to original.
    Several years back a customer sent me a rifle with a bad bore and he wanted to shoot it. He paid more than the rifle was worth and all his friend said he would loose value if he had it re-lined. So he asked me to send it back. He now has a wall hanger that he can't get his money out of and he can't shoot it.

Boolit Buddy
    I was very fortunate to purchase the rifle reasonably. With the barrel liner installed, I am still roughly at current market value. At the end of the day, I am glad that I went through the trouble to have it re-lined. The most hardcore collectors won't pay because of the reline, but at the end of the day, the rifle is and will always be a shooter.

Boolit Mold
    John Taylor relined my 1892 in 25-20 and you cannot tell it was a relined job. Now it shoots great! No regrets!

Boolit Buddy
    So- 3 types of powders, all running the Meister 85 gr cast have given me a consistent low and left, no matter the adjustment.I can bring elevation close, but by the time I get to the windage, moving both front and back, it won't seem to move. I have whittled on the front sight, moved the back sight (has a screw, then moves easily back and forth). Any thoughts?!!? I am on the verge of putting wheels on it, I can't say I have had this much frustration with a rifle. period.... Different front sight? Then I would have to change the back out as well, to match. Any and all nuggets of wisdom will be appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    I had to go back and look at the pics you have in your original post to try and see what type of sight arrangement you have.

It appears that rear sight you have on your rifle is for a Winchester Model 1906 22 rimfire pump action rifle as it is made for a rimfire (most probably 22 Short).

If the above pic is what your rear sight looks it might be impossible for you to correct your POI to correspond to a proper sight picture with that sight arrangement.

You will most likely need to replace the rear sight with a proper Model 92 sight that looks like this one:

As far as windage adjustments go, with that type of rear sight, (the one for the Model 1906) you need to be moving your front sight left or right to make your windage changes.

If you have been attempting to drift the front sight and you can’t get it to move, you either need to hit it harder or investigate whether or not someone has attempted to drive in a sight that’s got too big a base for the dovetail.

Boolit Buddy
    ATCDR- I want to thank you for your wisdom. After looking and doing some exhaustive research on the subject I came to (close to) a likely culprit in the rear sight. You are exactly correct on the type. Great Eyes! I ordered a new elevator, am going to re-purpose the rear sight of my 94 trapper (fits nice!) and get the correct elevator. I have also ordered a new front sight from Skinner, to adjust down to the height I would need. Hope isn't dead yet!
    Thanks again!
    Zingger

Boolit Master
    Option #4 send it to JES and get it rebored to .32-20 it will cost half of a reline and with the condition of your rifle it will be a great shooter. If your rifle was near perfect condition I would say reline it but condition wise its pretty much a good shooter plus you've already got the loading stuff for .32-20.

Boolit Buddy
    Good Morning Hawkeye- unfortunately that won't be an option anymore. The work and re-line has been done for 25-20. With some certainty I think ATCDr has it right. When I receive the new front sight I am hoping the problem to be solved.

Boolit Buddy
    Working through issues with a gun is how some folks come up with nice shooters. Many folks get something they know nothing about and get frustrated and get rid of it. It takes patience and thought to get a satisfactory end. You're almost there. When I can buy the Meister 25-20 so cheap, no need to cast. In my2520 and the Meister .
    Bullet, 6.5 grains of IMR 4227 is a mild accurate load. Use Rem small pistol primers for best results, go to 8.0 gr of same powder shoots well. The rifle when you got it was never going to be more than a shooter..........ever! Good choice to reline. You'll really like that little round. Visit the MarlinOwners Forum in reloading section in the stickies at top of page for help with loads. Enjoy the new life in that old girl. I have that caliber in single shot, lever and pump and enjoy them all.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    8.0 grains of 4227 was one of the loads I have been trying. I have been running the 3.4 grains of trailboss. They are accuracy, just poi and poa are off. With hope, my Skinner will arrive on Friday, Numrich maybe? I want to thank you 50target for the words of encouragement, they mean a lot at times like these when I am ready to just scrap and go to what I know. I have been using small rifle primers, haven't thought about the small pistol with the 25-20. I have used them in 32-20, but my Marlin classic doesn't seem to care a bit if rifle or pistol primers are used. Thanks again!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast