RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Would You Do?!?!?

Boolit Master
    Reline to .25-20 and shoot that winchester !!!

Boolit Master
    My bad I didn't read all the post before putting in my 2 cents. .25-20 is a fun round Iv'e thought about having a .25-20 barrel made up to go with my stevens 44 in .32-20 but brass availability has kept me from going forward with the project. Maybe if and when starline starts up brass production I'll order a .25 cal blank.

Boolit Master
    Call Jihn Taylor at Taylor machine and have him do a reline using one of the TJ's liners in the caliber of your choice. Either 25-20 or 32-20. You won't regret it. May have to google him to get the phone number. I'm going to be sending out a low wall in 25020 single shot to get relined to 32-20 and maybe a 22rf BSA martini to get relined to either caliber when I get ready. I buy my rifles to shoot not collect regardless what they cost. Too old and onery that way. If you do decide on the 25-20 get the fast twist barrel will give you more choices for bullets. Same for the 32-20 slightly heavier bullets. TJ's does make fast twist liners but not for the 32-20 but there is a 1x10 for the 30 luger that will work for the 32-20. Frank

Invest in a set of cheap dies, you have brass and oversized lead bullets and see what the old girl can do. You are on castboolits, for sure someone here has a recipe and would part with 50 pieces of lead. Hit it with bore paste, there might be something left. If that fails then test the waters if a collector might want it, last result reline it to 32-20. I picked up a Colt Anaconda for cheap in .45 lc that would not group no matter what I did. That’s why it was a bargain. A bud gave me a handful of plated lead bullets and they worked. Turned out the gun would only shoot .454 bullets accurately. Good luck on your rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    New front sight from Skinner Sights and my rear from the trapper are showing much improvement. Once I trim the front sight down and get it sighted in fully I will add some pictures. That might not be for a bit though, lots of things going on in the next few weeks.

Boolit Buddy
    After fighting with the 85 grain cast bullet and getting it to be accurate, I purchased some 60gr fp Hornady. Loaded them with the accuracy load from the latest Lyman manual and viola! It turned the inaccurate rifle/load into something that wasn't expected! I guess I found my answer. Now just to find a reasonable price on a bunch of those bullets!

Boolit Master
    Zinger,
    You said you had it relined to 25-20 (WCF?) so what twist rate did you use in the Liner?
    From your last post about finding 60 grain bullets work better than 85 grain bullets it seems you are using a Slow twist liner.
    I would really like to know for future planned work.

I have a 1890 Winchester partys kit that I am planning to have made up for .25ACP. John Taylor already relined a "bubba'd" Octagon 1890Win that was shortened to 20 inches before I got it, using a TJ's 1:14 twist barrel for .25ACP.

I already have two Ruger handguns that have been reworked into .25ACP shooters, a Ruger "Single Eight" revolver with a 10-5/8 inch long barrel cut and fitted by Willie Clark and a Ruger Standard Auto MKII pistol that John Taylor cut and fitted A 8-18 inch long :W barrel plus converting the Ruger bolt to CF. Both handguns use a LW 1:9.8 Twist Barrel blank as a Starting point, the revolver was first, then the Pistol was don with the remainder of the same barrel blank. To date both shoot far better than I can (a friend with better eyes can hit a target bull at 100 yards with either handgun while I can hold a 3 inch 'pattern' at 25 yards with my eyes, Standing Off Hand with a one hand hold).

Frustrating getting old.

Chev. William

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Chev!

The liner is a 1:14 Redman. I know very little (still) about the nuances of the 25-20, but the heaviest I would imagine it to stabilize for cast would be a 70 grain pill. I might be mistaken and if so, please correct. TJ's makes their liners in a 1:13, which should stabilize the heavies a bit better. For jacketed bullets, my 1:14 is awesome behind the 13 grains. Pieces of clay pigeons at 50 yds offhand. I am still cutting the sights back to the load (had to replace the front with a Skinner and the rear with a 94) but I feel confident if there were a pest in the backyard it would be history.
    Zingger.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for that information, I am planning to use bullets from (Minimum) 35 grain to about (maximum) 67 Grain in both Cast and J-word in the completed 1890 conversion 'Carbine' ( it is about 20" barrel length; so is short for a Rifle).
    .25ACP and .22LR are close in maximum rated PMAX MAP at 25,000psi vs 23,000psi per SAAMI and CIP listings.
    That is about 8% difference and SAAMI indicates a 10% tolerance on MAP Pmax for Production factory Loaded Ammo.

Obviously, I wil start with some Factory Loads to 'proof' the finished rifle.

Chev. William

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123