RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dillon rebuild

Dillon rebuild

Around a month ago I purchased a 550B. It was used but not abused. My original plan was to "flip it. After a few failed attempts I decided to keep it and load .30-30 Winchester. I also decided to send to Dillon for a rebuild. I only have $245.00 in it so the cost of the rebuild ($79.95) & the cost of shipping ($50.00) I'll have $375.00 in a "new" 550!!!! I really didn't need it but what heck, it's "only money"!!!! A guy can't have to many Dillons.

Boolit Master
    You bought it right in the first place! Good price and Dillons are nice!

Any idea what they actually replaced? My dad had had a couple Dillon's rebuilt and each time they've come back with virtually everything but the frame replaced. However, my buddy sent a 650 back and the main shaft and alot of other major components weren't replaced. He was only maybe 50,000 round in, so I doubt it was out of spec though.

I have 2 450 frames I've thought about having rebuilt, but they are bare frames. I'd like to have a dedicated .223 and .308 press with the solid die setting to reduce coal variations. Maybe I'll give them a call just to see how much coin I'd be down to send them in and get all new parts.

Boolit Master
    The best way I’ve found to eliminate COAL variations is to sort the bullets with a comparator.

Boolit Master

I sent an SDB in to have it rebuilt a couple years ago. It was an early one. I think I bought it the 1st or 2nd year they were out. I couldn't tell what they replaced because it looked like a brand new press. The dies I had left in it were the only things that didn't look new.
    Chuck

From what I've read, they now send a paper with everything they replaced listed. When I get mine back I will post my list. ker kenix, that sounds like a solid plan, good luck and keep us posted on your reply to Dillon.

Boolit Grand Master
    I called to send a 550B in for a rebuild and a snarky lady told me they do not do that. That was over a year ago. Maybe I should try again.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The best way I’ve found to eliminate COAL variations is to sort the bullets with a comparator.
    Yep. To see where the COAL variation is coming from, measure the OAL of the bullets before you load them. They are not all the same length so measuring off of the ogive is the only way to accurately measure unless the bullets have all been uniformed to the same length like the benchrest guys do.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

dverna, She didn't know what she was talking about. The rebuild cost $79.95 and that covers shipping it back to you. You have to pay shipping it to them. Before you ship it to them, you need to call Dillon and get a return authorization number. After that, set back and wait on your new press!!

I picked up a 550 to compliment my 650. Got it for $275 but came with a lot of caliber changes, Dillon dies and a large amount components. Did the Dillon refurbish for $79. The ram was rusted but moved. Tech said he would bead blast it. I still do not believe it was the same press they sent back. Less than two week turn around. Large primer big caliber rifle/ 45 acp on the 550 small primer pistol/223 on the 650. The only complaint I have with Dillon is the don't make pick up trucks and air conditioners with the same warranty.

Super Moderator

The $79.95 rebuild is a good deal. I bet I have rebuilt more than 50% of mine just by calling them when something broke or wore out.

Quote Originally Posted by willowbend View Post
    I picked up a 550 to compliment my 650. Got it for $275 but came with a lot of caliber changes, Dillon dies and a large amount components. Did the Dillon refurbish for $79. The ram was rusted but moved. Tech said he would bead blast it. I still do not believe it was the same press they sent back. Less than two week turn around. Large primer big caliber rifle/ 45 acp on the 550 small primer pistol/223 on the 650. The only complaint I have with Dillon is the don't make pick up trucks and air conditioners with the same warranty.
    You did get a good deal!!! The good deals are out there but few and far between. When a Dillon comes up for sale seems like there is someone just ahead of you, ready to snatch it up.The one I picked up was on Armslist and I was lucky to be the first caller and jumped on it.