Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old PAcific C press

Banned

Old PAcific C press

I have an old one I picked up cheap at a gun show a while back, this is not it, but looks exactly like it;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PACIFIC-C-FRAME-RELOADING-PRESS-Single-Stage-JC.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	246035

I plan to set it up as my portable/indoor reloading set up. Anyone know wbout when it was made and what the original color was? Mine has been painted black by a former owner, but there is some light blue showing through in a few places. I have cleaned it up and tomorrow will prime it, I'd like to get close to the original color.

Banned
    Light blue is the original color, just like the one pictured. These were from 1959/1960 when. Dietmier was taking control of Pacific, before he got his new designs to market.

Boolit Master

Name:	P_20190731_175256.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	246053
    This is my pacific i use for everything. My grampa bought it somewhere around 1960 im assuming and its original condition except maybe the rubber thing that pushes the primer arm back out. But i shined a white light on it for color reference.

Boolit Master

Name:	P_20190731_181041.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	246054
    Some closer paint photos

Name:	P_20190731_180552.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	246055

Name:	P_20190731_180650.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	246056

Color kinda changes with lighting but the last one is probably most true to the eye, and the texture is more wrinkled than pebbled.

Banned

Thanks for the input. This one is not nearly as stout as that one, I had kind of figured it to be older than late fifties. Anyway, I think it'll be a good little press for what I have in mind, we'll see. I'll hit it with some rustoleum primer tomorrow and go look at light blue shades.

Banned
    Richdogg, it is older than the late 50's. It is a 1st Gen Super press. It's a reinforced Standard model introduced in 1947 to improve on the weakness of the Standard.
    Over the next 10 years Pacific did little to grow or improve their reloading tool line. So the Super remained the same as it was in 1947, only the color changed. Until Dietmier took over and redesigned everything by 1961.

Boolit Master
    I have one just like Rich's, original finish and in very good condition. I'd like to find a handle cover that matches the original. Im missing the primer tube setup also. It does have the primer arm. Anyone know what the original grip looks like?
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Someone with more knowledge will have to provide the following question for me. When was the Pacific C press first put on the market? I have seen those presses advertised as 1930's models (at least I thought they were Pacific's). I think Herter's had those type presses in the 30's. james

I started reloading in 1959 with a Pacific Super C and have a great fondness for them. I am now down to just two a 1930's C and a 1950's Super C. The Pacific C is the primogenator of most modern reloding presses. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pacific C circa 1935.jpg small.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	246096
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

The patent # on this one of mine is 1 933 940 just like the picture I posted. Is there somewhere that you can index a patent number to see what date it was issued?

Banned
    Richdogg, you can Google the patent number to see the entire document.
    It's 1932.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Someone with more knowledge will have to provide the following question for me. When was the Pacific C press first put on the market? I have seen those presses advertised as 1930's models (at least I thought they were Pacific's). I think Herter's had those type presses in the 30's. james
    The Pacific was written up in 1931 in the American Rifleman.
    Herter's started with their Model 3 in 1954, or late 1953. They copied the Lachmiller that was on the market in 1952.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post

Name:	P_20190731_175256.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	246053
    This is my pacific i use for everything. My grampa bought it somewhere around 1960 im assuming and its original condition except maybe the rubber thing that pushes the primer arm back out. But i shined a white light on it for color reference.
    The black rubber thing is original , one came with mine . I cut a replacement from a heavy truck tire inner tube...do truck tire inner tubes even still exist ?
    Pressman might be able to shed some light on this very low tech piece of Pacific Press , I can't .

Does anyone know of a site where one could read about the history of the Pacific loading presses, my main press is a Super Deluxe , used for decades , but know little or nothing of their history.
    Was there a connection with a company called Bair or Bear ? My Pacific Press was given to me with several pieces of Bair equiptment...all the same color blue , for 25 years I thought the Press was Bair but it has a large capitol P cast into the back....that was the giveaway...P = Pacific .
    Interesting subject , wish I knew more .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I've got an old one without the Pat. no., Pacific on one side and SF CAL on the other side of the frame. Lots of original black paint, but no original handle. Bought it to use with my Pacific bullet luber-sizer, but they are not of the same era.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    The Pacific was written up in 1931 in the American Rifleman.
    Herter's started with their Model 3 in 1954, or late 1953. They copied the Lachmiller that was on the market in 1952.
    I have a copy of that article.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	246151

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	246152

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	246155

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	246158

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	246159

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	246160

Love the old Pacifics. I started loading on the middle press illustrated here. Bought it in the late '50's or early '60's.
    Last edited by Alstep; 08-02-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Boolit Master

Years ago I was in a gunsmith's shop to get some machine work done and I saw one of the old Pacific presses like the one Alstep's picture. It was in excellent condition and it was what he reloaded custom ammunition for his customers. He made custom rifles mostly for the Safari trade use. He was an older gentleman even back then and I always wondered but never asked how long he had been using that press. james

Alstep---- That Pacific C marked S F Cal is one of the very early ones before they started marking them with the patent number. It is a rare bird and very collectable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Alstep---- That Pacific C marked S F Cal is one of the very early ones before they started marking them with the patent number. It is a rare bird and very collectable.

Thanks Char-Gar, had no idea.
    I'm not one to stop at garage sales very often, but the one time I did a few years ago, I picked up that old press for a dollar. A little minor cleanup & lube, and it's really in great shape. It's assigned to light duty to size boolets through a Lee sizer. Somebody's trash turned out to be my treasure. My lucky day.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have a copy of that article.

Char-Gar, any chance you could post that article here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast