Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 8x50r Mannlicher

Boolit Buddy

8x50r Mannlicher

I may have an opportunity to buy a M95 straight-pull Mannlicher in 8x50r cal. I have heard that 54R brass is the best choice for making usable cases for this old rifle. Does anyone have any experience converting this brass to 8x50R?....................
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Donnelly's conversion manual lists 7.62 X 54 as the parent case, but conversion is pretty involved. If you haven't done so double check caliber, as some were made in/converted to 8 X 56, and later converted to 8 X 57. The only ones I have ever seen were the ones in 8 X 56 that were imported a few years ago.

Boolit Master

Graf has 8x56r brass for $0.40 each. The conversion to 8x50r just takes a sizing die.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I just started fire forming brass. Its kinda a pain as you can't just load a cartridge because the extractor is fixed and can be broken if you load without the clip the shell must ride up the bolt under the extractor as bolt is pushed forward. I have to remove bolt every round and slide a piece of brass under the extractor then reinsert bolt to fire.
    One more thing i hope you already have dies rcbs discontinued these they may still have some may not. C/H will not start a new run until next april and they have a 2 year waiting period. I guess you could have a set custom made.
    I am using 7.62x54 russian i bought a bunch of once fired at a great price. So thats what i am using. Just trim and fire form And ready to go. These are neat guns i had mine since the 80's and finally got around to getting it going refinished the stock reblued all metal and got everything i need to shoot it. Check for an s on barrel in front of receiver that is supposed to be the way to tell if it was converted to 8x56. I was told mine was 8x56 but chamber cast showed it had not been converted. Note if you buy 8x50r brass from buffalo arms its a ripoff they trim 7.62x54 brass and call it 8x50r but it is not formed.
    You can buy loaded ammo from gad custom cartridges for $30 for 20 rounds.
    As stated above some were converted to 8mm mauser. You can make a chamber cast out of creosafe or wax. Of course fire forming will tell. One more thing you may want to use the lee mold for the 8x56 as it is larger than regular 8 mm molds.
    These guns were designed with a .323 bullet but the base was designed to open up to .329 ( i believe ) you can use regular 8mm bullets but velocity will suffer as they will not seal the bore.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by RED BEAR; 07-10-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the inputs. Went to the show today and didn't see one, be glad when the shows in Lima start up again.........................

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Graf has 8x56r brass for $0.40 each. The conversion to 8x50r just takes a sizing die.
    AND - it's on sale for $39.99/100 pcs. (primed).
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again everyone! I was out in the garage the other day and ran across several boxes of once-fired Norma 54R from the old days(70's). I saw the add at Graf and its a good deal I guess, but these are primed cases and I think I would like to use my primers.......................

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Hey use what ya got. Can't blame you.