Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: artisan...am44mag...craftsman extraordinary

artisan...am44mag...craftsman extraordinary

We have some very talented people here in this forum and 'am44mag' is certainly one of the best grip makers I have seen.
    A little over a year ago he made me a set of 'Ram's Horn' for this Kimber...they were outstanding.

A couple of weeks ago I got a hankering for a set of 'Stag' and ask him to make another set of grips...I also wanted to follow his progress as they were made, wanted to see how it's done.
    He agreed and started sending me pictures from the time he located this pair of 'Elk Stag' scales here...

The next photo came in when he had decided how to best cut them from the scales...

This photo shows that he has drilled and shaped them some...it's pretty much set from here...

This is the final change, they are done and have been test fitted to his 1911...

This morning they arrived in the Post Office and now the Kimber looks and feels a little bit different...

"Thank you Aaron, I just can't express how much I appreciate your hard work!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Very nice! I can see why you are proud of them.

Nice work am44mag!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Very nice.

They look great! Something for both of you to be proud of, the maker and the owner. And the good thing is, now you have an extra set of grips and will need to find another .45 to fit them!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    They look great! Something for both of you to be proud of, the maker and the owner. And the good thing is, now you have an extra set of grips and will need to find another .45 to fit them!
    heheee...already been looking...just haven't broken the news to the boss yet!

the real problem is finding something I like at as much as I do the Kimber...it's one of them pistols that just feels great and I can actually hit the broad side of a barn with it...without being inside the barn.

I'm sure something will come along........

Banned
    I thought the first ones looked good, but these ----- wow

Boolit Buddy
    Stag type grips never really did anything for me. But those are very nice! I'd happily put those on one of my 1911's, and be proud of them, very classy looking.
    Very nice work am44mag.
    OS OK, thanks for posting this!

Boolit Master
    I likeum very nice!

Boolit Master
    How did I miss this thread?

Thank you fellas, this was my first try with stag and I'm pretty happy at how it turned out. The piece I found was extremely beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen bone that pure white before. OS OK, Thanks again for your business and the kind words. That little project we were talking about is going forward. You're going to have something else to brag about before long.

Dang Charlie! Those look GOOD!!! Very nice!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Bub
    Very nice indeed. If you don't mind me asking, how much did he charge to make the grips for you?

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    How did I miss this thread?

Thank you fellas, this was my first try with stag and I'm pretty happy at how it turned out. The piece I found was extremely beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen bone that pure white before. OS OK, Thanks again for your business and the kind words. That little project we were talking about is going forward. You're going to have something else to brag about before long.
    Here's a little hint as to what that project is...this set will have a little unusual twist to it...stand by for progress pictures forthcoming.
    We are using this scale from this set for one of the grips...

and this scale from this set for the other grip...

there's a bit of a learning curve with each set of grips as we discover the correct dimensioned rough scale blank has everything to do with how they come out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by jr612 View Post
    Very nice indeed. If you don't mind me asking, how much did he charge to make the grips for you?
    I'm not too sure I could answer that accurately as part of the price is the cost of the materials along with any stipulations you might add to the order.
    Aaron has made 3 sets of 1911 grips for me thus far and they've all been masterpieces. Both times he worked in a material he'd never used before...Ram's Horn and now the Elk Horn...he's truly a craftsman extradorinair'.

*contact him here on forum by clicking on his name above in post no. 10.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Here's a little hint as to what that project is...this set will have a little unusual twist to it...stand by for progress pictures forthcoming.
    We are using this scale from this set for one of the grips...

and this scale from this set for the other grip...

there's a bit of a learning curve with each set of grips as we discover the correct dimensioned rough scale blank has everything to do with how they come out in the end.

I'm not too sure I could answer that accurately as part of the price is the cost of the materials along with any stipulations you might add to the order.
    Aaron has made 3 sets of 1911 grips for me thus far and they've all been masterpieces. Both times he worked in a material he'd never used before...Ram's Horn and now the Elk Horn...he's truly a craftsman extradorinair'.

*contact him here on forum by clicking on his name above in post no. 10.
    It's certainly a learning process, but it's fun to play around with new stuff. I'm excited about this set.

Quote Originally Posted by jr612 View Post
    As OS OK said, as far as 1911 style grips go, it usually depends on the cost of the material as I charge basically a flat rate for the actual work involved. The only exception is when something additional is requested that involves a decent amount of extra work, and even then I charge only a little extra. I try to keep my prices low.

GENERALLY speaking, a set of 1911 grips made from something like stag will cost around $75, giraffe bone will be around $65, rams horn and buffalo horn will also be around $65, and most woods will be around $45 though some of the more exceptionally figured pieces can be more expensive.