Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: touch hole position

Boolit Bub

touch hole position

If a touch hole is too low or isn't replaceable (drill in barrel only). would it be better to replace with a removable touch hole or deepen the pan.

I think it would depend for ME, on how much too low it is. I made the pan deeper on a Siler lock a number of years ago and it worked well but the barrel already had a liner in it. if there is no liner and there is just a hole I would have a new hole for a liner made using a milling machine with a end mill, not a drill bit. and make it centered on the top edge of the Pan.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Grand Master

You should relocate the touchhole to the center of the pan and above the bottom of the pan. Draw a line across the top of the pan and put the touchhole right across the line. Flame is hotter at the top so you don't want the powder in the pan to burn down to the hole but have it ignite with the top of the flame. Fill the old hole with a plug before you drill the new hole and use a 1/4 28 liner with the face of the liner filed and polished off plumb smooth. If done right you will get bang rather than whoosh bang.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    You should relocate the touchhole to the center of the pan and above the bottom of the pan. Draw a line across the top of the pan and put the touchhole right across the line. Flame is hotter at the top so you don't want the powder in the pan to burn down to the hole but have it ignite with the top of the flame. Fill the old hole with a plug before you drill the new hole and use a 1/4 28 liner with the face of the liner filed and polished off plumb smooth. If done right you will get bang rather than whoosh bang.
    It can't be said better than that

Boolit Bub
    I don't think I have the skill or tools to do that.

Every thing is relative that's why earlier i said I did deepen the pan on one and it worked fine, but it will depend on --how much too low-- your hole is, and make sure your hole is drilled 1/16" esp. if it is not a liner and is just drilled in the barrel

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Vent liners should not be removed for cleaning. Period.

Follow KCSO's suggestion.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    It won't let me upload a picture for some reason but the hole is in bottom of pan at front of it.

Boolit Bub
    Is there anyone y'all can recommend to fix it.

Boolit Bub
    Might be time to go ahead and convert it to cap lock.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190712_190134.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	245160

Boolit Bub

Looking at the pictures. I had one that was like that about 30 yrs ago and I made the Pan Deeper. and make sure the hole in the Barrel is 1/16" and do Not use too much Priming Powder. do not cover the hole with the powder mine worked fine. Most originals just had a Hole not a liner when they were made.
    It does look like a machinest could fix it Right using an End Mill to make the hole in the proper location then tap the hole for and install a liner in the correct position .
    Only you you can decide how much the Gun is worth and how much you feel you can do your self. I you lived down the road We would fix it Together.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1803 harpers ferry that the hole is way to low. I am plugging the old one and drilling a new one in the right location. yes I do have a milling machine.

Banned
    i'd just use a dremel and add some depth.

Boolit Bub

Banned
    thats not as low as it looked in the first pictures. One of my rifles has the pan almost level with the bottom of the vent hole and she shoots just as good as the "properly" set up rifles.

If you havent shot it yet, I would do so. 3 to 4 grains 4fg should do the trick.

Banned
    Just to show you, but this rifle took 6 grains 4fg in order for it to go off reliably and instantly. Anything less and it was a flash in the pan due to how "high" the vent location is.

Boolit Bub
    Last picture is after deepening the pan.