Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lube-Sizers

Boolit Buddy
    All the input is greatly appreciated. I will need to sit down and decide now.

Thanks everyone!

Boolit Grand Master

It took me a long time, about 5-6 months to get my Star to put out good bullets. It is a very touchy machine. Once running, it does work like butter. Paying for a Star to size painted bullets is ludicrous. A Lee sizing die that screws into a reloading press is every bit as fast as a Star. If you just have to have it size down, you can buy a lee press, mount it upside down, and still be WAY cheaper than a Star sizer, and it will be easier to set up too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It took me a long time, about 5-6 months to get my Star to put out good bullets. It is a very touchy machine. Once running, it does work like butter. Paying for a Star to size painted bullets is ludicrous. A Lee sizing die that screws into a reloading press is every bit as fast as a Star. If you just have to have it size down, you can buy a lee press, mount it upside down, and still be WAY cheaper than a Star sizer, and it will be easier to set up too.
    I traded for my Star, I used the NOE bushing on a press, the Star is much easier and quicker to use.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned

I have a Lyman 450, an RCBS lubimatic II and a Saeco/Redding. The Saeco/Redding is the best in my opinion but nothing is interchangeable with the other two in my lineup, so it's more expensive to use!

Boolit Buddy
    I never considered the Saeco. Is it as good as or better than the rest?

In a phone conversation with Veral Smith of LBT, he suggested that I buy an RCBS Lubeamatic as it is built better than the Lyman and has a lifetime warranty. Now I have sized about 7,000 bullets and I am glad of his suggestion.

Boolit Master

In the past ive owned RCBS , lyman , Saeco all sold! . for the past 30 years I use only Star/ magnma eng L/S I have two of them and about 10% of the bullets I cast are gas ck pistol & rifle bullets . accuracy is excellent with plane base & gas ck bullets. I usually make between 5 to 10+K bullets a year

I started off many years back with a Lyman, but sold it to get the RCBS which is very sturdy built, and loved it from day one!
    However, after some reading here.........I bought a Star, and have almost never used my RCBS since the day I got the Star dialed in. The Star is just fantastic, made to size high volumes of boolits with minimal effort, worth every penny!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Star. Not sure why it takes George so long to change dies in the Star. Pull the punch, pull the die with the tool, put in the die and re-install the punch.
    I coged on this question for a few days, and even did some hands-on with both a Lyman -- set up for .35 GC bullets -- and, a Star set up for .38 S&W Sp. wadcutters. I yield to Springfield and others, suspecting my slow-ness is due to my not have yet climbed too high on the learning curve of using a Star. An added variable for me is the (built in) electric heater, and I oft needed fuss with that's setting to not have liquid lub running out ("dun-that a few times") while filling all groves with lub. Hence, I'm kind of "editing" my comments (Post #10) that perhaps my favoring Lyman for short runs is based upon my not using the Star enough on different bullets. Truthfully, when I first got my first Star, I had a lonnng nightmare in spades getting it to lub and size perfectly. When accomplished, I agree there's probably not a machine which will do as well and as quickly. However -- here's MY big "but" -- from my ineptness at setting it up, perhaps, comes both my apprehension to change bullets, and -- having the three 450s -- each with a different lub in each -- my relative ease using these on short bullet runs.
    Hope this sort of makes some sense?
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, and a Star. Only the Star gets used these days. I have Lathesmith dies for lubed bullets and NOE bushings for PC bullets. I may never use the other sizers again. Just get a Star.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Boolit Buddy
    I like my star but it seems fragile to me.

I've had it for 6 months. Maybe 10,000 bullets sized and its broken the bullet feeder actuating bracket once and the other day I noticed the steel link between the ram and the handle had worn oval shapes in the holes for the circlip pin. The pin snapped and fell out.

I did buy it with the intention of putting an air cylinder on it but won't now.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 Stars an RCBS and a Saeco. The Stars are used for 99% of my bullets. I only use the RCBS and Saeco for odd sized short runs that I don't have Star dies for.

Boolit Master
    I have nine Lyman lube sizers of various models.All set up with different lubes and dies.They work well for me.I can probably manage without a Star.

I have an old Lyman 45 & an RCBS. They both work well but I tend to favor the RCBS.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had many Lyman’s, stars and rcbs. I kept the star and one Lyman 45.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master

Like everyone says, the Star is faster, and more expensive. Both the Lyman and RCBS work well enough and are cheaper. I like the way my Lyman handles gas checks better than the Star. You can find a used Lyman or RCBS for a reasonable price. Stars hold their value better and used ones sell for much more.

Think ahead and consider how much shooting and loading that you plan to do. The Star is anywhere from twice to 5 times faster than the others. If you shoot in large volume the Star is what you will want.

Boolit Buddy
    I greatly appreciate everyone's input. I can afford the star but after considering all the replies felt it was more than I needed and touchy to setup. I found a Saeco for sale here on the forum as almost new so I purchased it and it looks almost new. Going forward it and my Lyman 450 will be my tools. Maybe when I retire in a few years I will get a Star as I will have plenty of time to learn how to use it but for now seems to be more than I want to deal with.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12