RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lube-Sizers

Boolit Buddy

New Lube-Sizers

All,

If you were going out to buy a new Lube-Sizer what brand/model would it be. Will be used for pistol and rifle with 65% towards pistol, most gas checked and .35-.475 caliber. Cost is not a limiting factor.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Moderator Emeritus

The Star.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Seconded on the Star. But an old Lyman with the gas check seater does a better job seating gas checks than the Star for me. Others may find the Star does everything well.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    I have three RCBS lube sizers that have different lubes in them. I got them used at a great prices. I haven't had any problems with gas checks and would recommend them.

I have two RCBS's...one for lubing/sizing and the other, without lube for setting gas checks before I PC them...but I've always lusted for the 'Star'....heheee
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Star. It's the best.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

The star is the best for pistols. And I have two. However I have not had good luck with the star for rifle bullets with pointed nose. When pushing thru the star the nose of the bullet warps the gas check on the bullet it’s pushing thru. So I have a Lyman 45 for rifle bullets. Just my 2 cents.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have never used a star for me they are very cost prohibitive. Sizer is more dies are more. But if you can afford it it might be the way to go. I use an rcbs and it works great. And a lot less money.

I use a star and have had great success with pistol and rifle, both with gas checks. The key is setting the checks crimped in before sizing. Less .0005 Than the bullet size. A separate operation. I make my star dies and crimp tools. A lath, mill. surface grinder are all you need! Lol
    Last edited by super6; 07-10-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Moderator Emeritus

jem102 -- I may be the odd duck here, owning and having three Star's and four Lyman 450's (and, a Lyman 45 I have, but is in "storage") -- where -- for me -- it is too time-consuming (imho) and too much effort to change dies in the Star's for SHORT RUNS of bullets. When I get a new mould, and cast a coffee-can's worth of bullets, it just seems "smarter" for *ME* to put a correct diameter dieset and top punch in a 450, and lub/size away. Then again -- for, say, my .38 S&W Special 148gn wadcutters -- one Star is set up and never changed, so I can cast, then "ready" as many bullets as I may need -- for next year's shooting, too .
    I also am a firm GC user, and LOVE the inexpensive gas check seater which Lyman purveys -- guaranteeing ON gas checks which are as square as possible.
    If it were me, starting out, as you indicate -- I'd pick up a Lyman 450 with the gas check tool, for these reasons.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Lymans, 2 Rcbs, and 3 Stars, and use the Star whenever I can, I just don't have all the sizes of dies for them, If I did, I would sell the others right away.

Boolit Master
    Get the Star. Get LatheSmith dies and punches. If doing rifle boolits, size base first with a top punch for Spitzer boolits. I started on a 4500 Lyman, and in my experience, the Star is hands down 5 times faster and easier to use. If you want a Lyman, PM me.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I use a star and have had great success with pistol and rifle, both with gas checks. The key is setting the checks crimped in before sizing. Less .0005 Than the bullet size. A separate operation. I make my star dies and crimp tools. A lath, mill. surface grinder are all you need! Lol
    Lathe mill and surface grinder is all you need well heck i will just run down and pick em up.

Boolit Master

New Lube-Sizers

One more vote for the star. Started on a 45, had issues with it not being strong enough for sizing my 380 bullets so jumped to a 4500 which worked better but than got into the star and now am trying to get all sizes covered in the star so I can ditch the 4500. I also PC a lot and the Lyman dies tend to scrape the pc off some bullets where the Star doesn’t.

Admittedly, I do 90% handgun so can’t really speak to the spritzer tip flattening issue since my one rifle bullet that’s tipped I still have to size in the 4500.

Lathesmith is the way to go for dies and punches though. They are works of art.

Boolit Master
    You can size all bullets on a Star, nose first, including spitzers. Just use an undersize flat point bullet as a pusher, to push the lubed bullet through, to make way for the next one.

I guess, I'm in the minority..............I size mostly pistol bullets on the RCBS. The Star is used for rifle and carbine bullets where I demand long range accuracy. In and out sizers leave the door open for non concentric bullets. Base first sizers have to have perfect fit of the nose to the top punch, so as not to cant the bullet. Just too much room for error.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate everyone's comments! I currently use a 450 but am looking for better. Sounds like a Star is in order. As to the pointed rifle boolits and dimpled gas checks couldn't you just cut some undersized rods from brass or aluminum, set in place, push through, retrieve and keep cycling?

Thanks, John

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes you can.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Star. Not sure why it takes George so long to change dies in the Star. Pull the punch, pull the die with the tool, put in the die and re-install the punch. If you have done the bullet before it is pretty easy to set depth. Unless you are switching to a bullet with more or less lube groves it is simple. Now I have a bullet feeder on mine so I use a removable punch so I don't have to mess with the lock nut,
    but otherwise it is a normal Star. Works fine with gas checks that are the right size for the bullet. If you usea progressive press than you really need a Star. If not, then maybe not, it all depends on volume and how much time you have.

Boolit Master
    It takes me about the same amount of time to change dies on a Star as it does on the Lyman and I always worry about stripping those fine threads on the Lyman.

Boolit Master

I traded for a Star to size my coated boolits. It's one of the best trades I've ever made. I got top punches from Lathesmith and went with the NOE adaptor and bushings.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast