Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ar10??? Pc???

Banned

ar10??? Pc???

I went and picked up a ar15 bare lower to do my 300 bo pistol on and he had some ar10 lowers there and I picked one of them up too. Don't know what to build yet but was wondering if any one is shooting pc coated cast in there ar10 and what bullets are working for you? Anyone really standing on them running them 2500 fps or more? Ive got a 130 rcbs spitzer gas check mold that has shot real well in my bo. Just wondering if I can push it hard enough to run a ar10 762.

Boolit Master
    Wilson combat offers barrels in 338 federal and 358 Winchester..... Better cast rounds in my opinion
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Wilson combat offers barrels in 338 federal and 358 Winchester..... Better cast rounds in my opinion
    This^^^^- as much as an AR10 weighs; might as well put out some serious lead!
    IMHO, of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

that would be great but my fixed income about eliminates anything Wilson makes. this would be a sub 600 dollar build. Already have a beo if I want to hunt with an ar and cast bullets. Just looking for another way to shoot an ar ALOT and not have to buy bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ...Anyone really standing on them running them 2500 fps or more? Ive got a 130 rcbs spitzer gas check mold that has shot real well in my bo. Just wondering if I can push it hard enough to run a ar10 762.
    Don't own an AR10 to do a real load work-up but a buddy tried a few of the .308s that I load for my Savage M10 in his. First off, I'm loading a long bore-rider (Arsenal 30-188PC) that goes well into the rifling of my Savage and, while they would fit in his mags, the AR had definite feed issues. On the other hand, brass ejected cleanly and bolt cycled far enough back to engage next round from mag. Didn't shoot enough to make any judgement of accuracy potential and didn't have a chono set up but, FWIW, that load clocks just over 2200 fps and prints 2"-3" groups at 200 yards from my Savage.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Wilson combat barrels are on sale often. They recently had 338 federal barrels for sub $150.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Don't intend to hijack the thread but anybody have any experience with the 300 bo subsonic with conventional lube? Say Felix lube? Only problem I can see would be gas tube clogging up.

Yup, 308W carbine= 2400, 24" barrel=2700. MOA @ 200 (carbine) with 31-165C PCd,41gr 4895.
    Both are stock DMPS uppers, thinking of offloading the rifle upper as it is too heavy for my back and field work now. Not a problem from a stand.
    As for BO subs, just use BLL. Or PC.
    Whatever!

Banned

subsonic with a suppressor its not my gas tube that cause problems. Its the filth in the action. A suppressor makes it worse. Two mags and its about like black mud. its soft greasy fouling though so if you ran a pipe cleaner through your gas tube it would probably take care of most of it. Even if it did plug it gas tubes are cheap and easy to replace. Back before pc I shot cast out of my beo. Probably only a thousand or so and never had an issue with the gas tube. Again though they were dirty!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    Don't intend to hijack the thread but anybody have any experience with the 300 bo subsonic with conventional lube? Say Felix lube? Only problem I can see would be gas tube clogging up.

Boolit Master

Because of the military, there is only one set of dimensions for "AR15-type" rifles. Not so for the "AR10-type". Some makers of AR10-type rifles have made several very different systems. Make sure what you have, before you buy more parts.

Banned

it will be all psa.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    Because of the military, there is only one set of dimensions for "AR15-type" rifles. Not so for the "AR10-type". Some makers of AR10-type rifles have made several very different systems. Make sure what you have, before you buy more parts.

Soft lube isn't a problem for the gas tube. Carbon build up is (as is alloy if you run PB). Both are easily cleaned. Don't know about the piston PSA. Problem with subs in the BO is case fill. Most of the 'standard' powders run dirty till they get compressed. 1680, cfeblk, rx7 (don't compress H110) - filthy. Turn up the gas (even in pistol) to get full function and you get early extraction and dirt everywhere. Don't know how UMC 220 is so clean.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    it will be all psa.
    Even then PSA has had some teething problems with their 308AR's. They might have the gas system figured out, but they were having major problems a while back getting even their factory builds to run good. Building a 308AR isn't like putting together an AR15. There are NO milspec parts made by any manufacturer, simply because there is NO MILSPEC for the large frame.......and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Separate manufacturers may have solidly built and running 308AR's (and by the way, if you are building a PSA....it isn't a AR10----that is actually not compatible with any 308AR ).

Please do your research before you start buying things and hope they work together. The best place to get this kind of info is https://forum.308ar.com/

These guys do know their stuff, and have earned it by ALOT of building, buying, and knowing what does work for the long term. Be ready, as they can be a bit rough if poked.....��
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master
    if I could build a affordable and under 7 pound unit I would hock some of the stale inventory to do it. And it would be in 7-08.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

unfortunately under 7 and affordable don't live in the same dimension
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    if I could build a affordable and under 7 pound unit I would hock some of the stale inventory to do it. And it would be in 7-08.

Would the Knight SR25 be considered MilSpec? Just curious, no dog in the hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Unless the military issued an AR10 I would say no. There is not a milspec for a weapon until there is a contract for procurement.

It might use some milspec parts in it, but, from the description it does not seem to.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Pretty easy to put an AR10 together around the $600 range for about the last year or so. IMO You can thank the retail hoarders during the Obama days stocking up and trying to quadruple retail the consumer and now the poor retailers(lol) are trying to unload/dump all their surplus just trying to get their money back since Trump won’t be banning anything in his lifetime. You can buy a dpms Oracle 308 complete rifle for $639 last I checked. I put a AR stoner complete 243 upper I paid $449.00 for on a complete aero A5 lower minus the stock I paid $213 for last year on Black Friday sales. It’s a heavy log as most AR 10’s are.

No cast through it yet. I just got an email for a $299 complete 308 upper from someone...might have been PSA?

I’m not a big midway fan but I like my AR stoner upper. I’d tell you to check them out as well. Think they offer 308 complete uppers for the $399 range.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-10-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Banned

yup no ar10 is millspec
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Unless the military issued an AR10 I would say no. There is not a milspec for a weapon until there is a contract for procurement.

It might use some milspec parts in it, but, from the description it does not seem to.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yep, I was told when I bought my Areo lower and AR stoner upper. I asked 50 questions and never got an answer if they would fit right and work properly...but they did. I tried a couple of after market triggers in the Areo and had a little pay and travel with the housings with CMC’s. I also tried an adjustable pin to tighten the upper to the lower...no go. I also tried a couple sets of KNS trigger pins...they were too long. I ended up using the plain Jane CMC pins that came with my trigger. A lot of stuff I’ve been finding out I’d hit or miss with AR10’s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast