Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Painting my front sight.

Last Mother’s Day, our Church gave out little gift sacks to all the Moms. In my wife’s bag was a bottle of the brightest, neon-ist, yellowishgreen fingernail polish ever seen. Without a word she passed it to me! So perceptive; that woman.

Boolit Master
    You married well, a woman with an eye for a bright sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I've yet to find a flat black paint that will stay on a front sight. It's an easy, inexpensive fix to apply more paint but I wish I could find something a little more permanent.
    Company called SEM makes a rattle can flat black auto trim paint. It sticks to chrome and stainless, should stick to your front sight. Available at auto supply stores.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Company called SEM makes a rattle can flat black auto trim paint. It sticks to chrome and stainless, should stick to your front sight. Available at auto supply stores.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Yellow is the center of the color spectrum for the human eye to pick up. I’m 61 also and wear bifocals but even when I was young I painted my front sights yellow with Tester’s model paint. As a peace officer I’d shoot in low light conditions. I always kept a bottle of thinner and a bottle of paint on the bench. If the paint on the front sight wasn’t bright with sharp edges I’d just hit it with thinner on a rag and touch it up with paint using a toothpick instead of a brush as an applicator.
    I decided to go with yellow. I ordered a quality art paint in both yellow and white and went at it. I like it a lot. After I did the Bisley, I painted my Speed Six, and my Series 80 combat Commander sights also. On the Bisley and the Ruger, I only painted the top 1/3 of the ramps. That also made a big difference in contrast. Thanks for all the suggestions folks..
    Dave.

I've found that orange, yellow, etc. glare in bright sunshine, and that for me flat black is by far the best all around color, especially for precision shooting. Problem is if you smoke a sight, it'll rub off in the holster. Flat black paint will develop a shine from repeatedly rubbing leather from holstering/unholstering. But I read about the perfect solution and tried it; a 40 LPI checkering file and cold blue. This makes for a dark sight with a crisp outline even in the brightest of light.

Another plus to sights so altered is that with a little ghetto silver nail polish one can paint lines for distance shooting. This one is one my Uberti 32-20 and is just right for shooting my 160 yd. gong.

35 W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Nice job !

Banned
    This was done "in the field" seeing what combinations I like best. Once I make my decision (s) I'll clean them up at home
    Got the enamel color samples at Micheals art & craft store for spr $2 ea. toothpicks work great for changing the dot colors

Boolit Bub
    Tried painting the front sight on a stainless Charter Arms Mag Pug yesterday. Nice, bright orange front sight did help with the first shot and made getting back on target easier for the second shot. Brought the gun back for a third shot and the sight was back to dull stainless steel. I forgot that the ported barrel vents right at the sight. It removed the paint very cleanly as one paint chip. I will probably try this again, but on a non-ported barrel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123