Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help ID a press

Banned

Help ID a press

A guy has this advertised fairly close to me. He found it and two shotgun presses (one of which appears to be a nice old Pacific) in a house clean out, and he doesn't know much about them. He's gonna look closer at it when he gets home and hopefully send more pictures. Anybody know what it is before I go to too much trouble to go make a deal on it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown Press.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	244992

Banned

The guy says now that it's a Lyman if that helps.

Boolit Master
    Lyman All American turret press.It has the 12 gauge shotshell die and shell holder installed.Great old presses.I have two of them minus the shotshell die.Hopefully he has the insert to reduce the shotshell position to 7/8-14.

Banned

He said nothing is rusted or seized up. Also said he had nothing else besides what's pictured. How hard to find the inserts to work with regular dies?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    Lyman All American turret press.It has the 12 gauge shotshell die and shell holder installed.Great old presses.I have two of them minus the shotshell die.Hopefully he has the insert to reduce the shotshell position to 7/8-14.
    KenT&021, do you know the size of the outside of the bushing? That would be helpful if he starts looking or some one else here may have something that will do the job.

Banned
    The bushing is unique to that press. Finding a single one is possible, but rare.

Banned

I'm pretty sure I can have this one for cheap. It's about two hours away, but close to where my Dad lives now and I've been meaning to go visit him soon.

I have absolutely no idea what a machinist's services cost, but would it be feasible to have someone make an insert for it?

Boolit Master
    I’d check with CH4D first. I haven’t been on their website in a few years, but they used to list 6-8 different bushings that they carried. They are only listed by size, not by press name.

I’m laid up right now, so I can’t go out and measure. If I can get up in a day or so I will measure.

Check the Lyman site for a parts schematic and maybe that bushing size will be listed.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I can have this one for cheap. It's about two hours away, but close to where my Dad lives now and I've been meaning to go visit him soon.

I have absolutely no idea what a machinist's services cost, but would it be feasible to have someone make an insert for it?
    Typically. $50 minimum in machine shop if you can find a smaller private owned one. Nice little turret press. Good for dedicated 9mm loading.

Here are a few pix of mine. I've had it a few years. Don't know if it helps. I'll try to look around for a manual/schematic. I got a lot of my shellholders from E_bay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman All American Press Ad.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	245105
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lyman All American Press.jpg   Lyman20American20in20profile.jpg  
    Last edited by drjjpdc; 07-11-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    "And some like two guns. But one's all you need if you can use it..." - Shane

Banned

I have to go out of town tomorrow for a couple of days, but when I get back, I think I'm gonna make a trip down there and get it if he still has it. I could set that up in .45 Colt of .38 Special and dedicate it to one caliber I shoot a lot.

It's pretty easy but here is a link to the manual with pictures of the parts.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/...r_web_lr_5.pdf
    "And some like two guns. But one's all you need if you can use it..." - Shane

Banned

Thanks!

I'm going to be tempted to grab those two shotgun presses the guy has. I don't load shot gun shells much and the Lee Load Alls are adequate for what I do. Hoping Monday or Tuesday to have a good deal closed.

Banned
    The bushing is 1.09x28tpi.

Boolit Bub
    Does anyone happen to know the size for the socket set screws used to hold the shell holder and primer post in place for the AA press?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Scoutdog99...
    I just checked my All American; I have allen set screws holding the shell holder and primer post. Both take a 1/8" wrench...

Richhodg66...
    Your press looks like there is one turret hole with a shotgun die in it, but the other holes visible in the turret appear to be 7/8-14. Have you tried to put regular dies in those holes?? I could be wrong. The only example I have to go on is my press, and all 4 holes are 7/8-14...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    Scoutdog99...
    I just .................

Richhodg66...
    Your press looks like there is one turret hole with a shotgun die in it, but the other holes visible in the turret appear to be 7/8-14. Have you tried to put regular dies in those holes?? I could be wrong. The only example I have to go on is my press, and all 4 holes are 7/8-14...
    To my knowledge Lyman had two factory choices on the tool heads. 4 identical holes all 7/8 X14. The other one was 3 holes with 7/8 X 14 and one proprietary hole for the Lyman AA shotgun kit to be used as a single stage when installed.

They may have had custom offerings if ordered, I don’t know. Maybe Pressman, Green Frog, SalPal, or others may know.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned

I went to Wichita to visit Dad and picked this up while I was there. It does have the shotgun die in the large hole and something else in the opposite hole which I think is for seating wads. Bottom line, it's in good shape and ought to work well, just needs a little clean up and some oil, no rust or anything..

One question right now, I can't get the turret to turn and I'm sure there is something I'm supposed to do to unlock it (?)

I'll get this bolted down to something and try it out, but I'll have to find a shell holder first. This will likely become a dedicated .45 Colt or .38 Special press.

A family member picked up one of these 2nd hand a few years ago. He was able to procure a shell holder adapter...I'm guessing from Ebay. Refused to buy the correct bushing for the odd sized tool head. I think ch4d had them...but they weren't cheap.

We turned one in my little southbend, but I can't for the life of me remember what size it was. I see it posted above as 1.09x28...but I seem to remember it being much coarser than that. He loctited the bushing in and never mentioned it again, so I suppose it is working fine. I think his is a dedicated .44 special set up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by drjjpdc View Post
    It's pretty easy but here is a link to the manual with pictures of the parts.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/...r_web_lr_5.pdf
    Thanks, but that manual doesn't have this particular press, just the eight holer. I'll look around today for a manual for this press, maybe call Lyman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast