Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help ID a press

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kir_kenix View Post
    A family member picked up one of these 2nd hand a few years ago. He was able to procure a shell holder adapter...I'm guessing from Ebay. Refused to buy the correct bushing for the odd sized tool head. I think ch4d had them...but they weren't cheap.

We turned one in my little southbend, but I can't for the life of me remember what size it was. I see it posted above as 1.09x28...but I seem to remember it being much coarser than that. He loctited the bushing in and never mentioned it again, so I suppose it is working fine. I think his is a dedicated .44 special set up.
    I looked at the CH4D web site and didn't see one of that thread size. I may call them today and ask. Worst case, I'll just set this up with a three die set and call it good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I went to Wichita...........

One question right now, I can't get the turret to turn and I'm sure there is something I'm supposed to do to unlock it (?)

I’ve not encountered this before. However, manual turret presses without a tool head handle can be a bit more resistant to turn. Did you install any dies so that you can grab onto them? Did you loosen up the top cap nut?
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Bub

One question right now, I can't get the turret to turn and I'm sure there is something I'm supposed to do to unlock it (?)
    Make sure the support bolt under the rear of the turret is cranked up so high/hard that it is preventing the rotation of the turret.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutdog99 View Post
    Make sure the support bolt under the rear of the turret is cranked up so high/hard that it is preventing the rotation of the turret.
    That was it. Thanks very much.

Boolit Bub
    Same thing happened to me when I first got my AA, hence the suggestion to check.

Banned

I think I'm gonna like this press. I hope I can find a bushing for the shotgun die and also a priming arm for something besides shot shell primers.

Boolit Bub
    Here is a picture of the shotgun bushing out of my press. The shotgun bushing is on the left and on the right a bushing to use Lyman 310 dies in standard 7/8-14 holes on presses. Good luck in trying to locate one. I've only seen them with a press. Finding someone to machine one for you may be the route to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190717_224526.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	245353

Name:	20190717_224605.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	245354

Name:	20190717_224703.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	245355

Banned
    Good pictures Scoutdog, thanks they should help the OP.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutdog99 View Post
    Here is a picture of the shotgun bushing out of my press. The shotgun bushing is on the left and on the right a bushing to use Lyman 310 dies in standard 7/8-14 holes on presses. Good luck in trying to locate one. I've only seen them with a press. Finding someone to machine one for you may be the route to go.

Name:	20190717_224526.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	245353

Name:	20190717_224605.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	245354

Name:	20190717_224703.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	245355
    You know, that shotgun bushing/adapter, looks a lot like the insert in the top of my Rockchucker. I'm sure it's not the same, but the old Lachmiller I'm working on now has a similar insert as well. Makes me wonder if there isn't a part for an existing press design that would work?

Banned
    Unfortunately there is not another press with a bushing that will fit the Lyman, it is it's own odd duck.

Having a bushing made could be costly. Another, and cheaper otion could be to have the hole bored out and threaded to fit the bushing on your RC.

Banned

Called CH4D, nice guy who took the time to go look to see if he had one, but alas, no dice. So, I guess I'll have to either do without or pay to have someone make one up for me. Actually, #1 son enlisted in the national guard a year or so back and is a 91E which does some machining work, I may be able to get him to do it, have to talk to him about it.

Does anyone know where I can buy a proper priming arm for it that will load large and small pistol primers rather than shotgun primers?

Boolit Master
    The All American doesn't use a primer arm.They use a priming punch.If you're using the J to X shell holder adapter the punches are still available new.The old priming punches for the J shell holders can sometimes be found on EBay.I managed to find one of the threaded adapters there recently as well.It wasn't cheap.

Called CH4D, nice guy who took the time to go look to see if he had one, but alas, no dice. So, I guess I'll have to either do without or pay to have someone make one up for me. Actually, #1 son enlisted in the national guard a year or so back and is a 91E which does some machining work, I may be able to get him to do it, have to talk to him about it.

Does anyone know where I can buy a proper priming arm for it that will load large and small pistol primers rather than shotgun primers?
    Both of my lathes are crated up awaiting a move to my new shop, or I'd turn one up for you. If you have a community college with a machinist course in town, stop by. They are always looking for small projects...and this one isn't terribly difficult. Good luck.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    The All American doesn't use a primer arm.They use a priming punch.If you're using the J to X shell holder adapter the punches are still available new.The old priming punches for the J shell holders can sometimes be found on EBay.I managed to find one of the threaded adapters there recently as well.It wasn't cheap.
    If you're using the "J" to "X" adaptor, the centers of the modern shell holders are pretty easily enlarged a bit to allow the use of the post type primer seater by drilling. I would imagine it would be a quick job with a Dremel also.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kir_kenix View Post
    Both of my lathes are crated up awaiting a move to my new shop, or I'd turn one up for you. If you have a community college with a machinist course in town, stop by. They are always looking for small projects...and this one isn't terribly difficult. Good luck.
    Good advice. The high school I teach at has a welding and metal shop and they have fixed some of our equipment before, but I don't know if they have the ability to machine anything. I'll ask when school opens back up if I haven't figured something else out by then.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    If you're using the "J" to "X" adaptor, the centers of the modern shell holders are pretty easily enlarged a bit to allow the use of the post type primer seater by drilling. I would imagine it would be a quick job with a Dremel also.
    Good to know. I kind of like to use things as they were intended, so thinking about just procuring the old shell holders. Besides Ebay, there's a brick and mortar old school shop about 50 miles away with a gentleman who must be close to 90, but if I ask him for those, I know he'll produce a cigar box full of them within a few minutes. I just saw him a couple of weeks ago for shell holders for an old Lachmiller press I'm working on.

Banned

I've been using one since 1972...........it used to be my workhorse press till I got a Forster co-ax and just recently a Redding Big Boss II and a Redding T-7 turret. Also still use a Tru-line Jr!
    Last edited by smithnframe; 07-26-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12