Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 459-405HB a good choice for Marlin 1895?

459-405HB a good choice for Marlin 1895?

Will the hollow base of this mold work ok in a Marlin 1895 in both smokeless loads and black powder loads?

Boolit Grand Master

That bullet is a replica of the original M1873 bullet. The "HB" (hollow base) is a misnomer as it is actually called a "dish" and is there to regulate the weight of the bullet consistent with specified external dimensions. The HB cavity was not intended to function ala' Minie style or as a HB is expected to obturate filling the grooves. The skirt of that bullet is way too thick. A good FB of appropriate diameter to begin with would be a better choice.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That bullet is a replica of the original M1873 bullet. The "HB" (hollow base) is a misnomer as it is actually called a "dish" and is there to regulate the weight of the bullet consistent with specified external dimensions. The HB cavity was not intended to function ala' Minie style or as a HB is expected to obturate filling the grooves. The skirt of that bullet is way too thick. A good FB of appropriate diameter to begin with would be a better choice.
    I was very curious of that myself. The skirts looked way too thick to actually allow expansion.

I use it mine and have very good results. Run it through my Baikal double and NEF buffalo classic and it does well in them as well. It is my go to bullet for 45-70