MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: CZ BRNO Chambering Problem

Boolit Mold

Question CZ BRNO Chambering Problem

I just picked up an 8mm Mauser CZ BRNO and I have run into a problem with the extractor. I cleaned and lubed the gun and took it to the range and I found that the body of the extractor catches the sharp edge of the receiver ring. Operating with gusto helps but it still stops the bolt every 2nd or 3rd time I work the action. It only binds when the gun is chambering a round. It's as if the extractor is a few micrometers too high when chambering. The brass doesn't appear to be scuffed or damaged . It looks like filing the sharp edge a bit would prevent the issue, but I suspect there is another solution. I will add some attachments this evening, but I was curious if anyone else had this issue and if they found a solution? Thanks!

This website isn't letting me upload photos so here's a Google album.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Db8EgrtJnicWVB88
    Last edited by Lightening Forged; 07-09-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Lightening,

Is this a new rifle or a military surplus arm? Are the numbers MATCHING? If you are having functioning problems, why not return it to the place of purchase? How long ago did you buy this rifle? A few more details will help us sort out your problems. Has the extractor, or the bolt, been replaced and is of the wrong dimensions??

Adam

Boolit Mold
    The numbers on the gun are matching and it is a military surplus rifle from the 30s to 40s to the best of my knowledge. The only issue with the gun was the one I mentioned and I suspect the issue can be resolved. I'm not sure if all parts on the bolt are correct as I've had a hard time determining the year on the gun. I bought it about a week ago. The problem isnt super detrimental, but I'm sure it can be fixed. I put 100 rounds through it, it jammed on the issue about 5 times. If you look at the picture you can see at the top right side of the beach for the bolt you can see the impact mark. If anything else is pertinent let me know and I'll find the answer.

I think the extractor might need to be replaced because it looks a little damaged on the claw.

I had a Brno VZ24 that had a hitch like you describe. A different extractor was the solution. That one may be sprung. Worth a try, an extra is a good thing to have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you take the Extractor off the bolt body, then check, how is the clearance on the Bolt Lugs themselves.
    It looks like the extractor lines up with the top of the Bolt Lug in the pictures.
    The back of the receiver may have a slight Twist causing the bolt not to run totally true.
    But , that is a correctable issue, by trimming Slightly the top or the Bottom of the extractor to clear the receiver, or beveling the inlet in the back side of the receiver ring.
    (that would be the last resort)
    But first thing is to check to see what is actually Hitting and where.
    Color all parts with a Magic Marker and see where the ink wares off.
    That can also show you if the bolt or Extractor is dragging on a Burr on the bolt Guide rail causing it to push the bolt head Up.
    And, Did you take the extractor Collar off the bolt and clean and grease it ?
    If the extractor doesn't move freely, it might be stopping in an Odd position that is too high when the bolt is closed.
    This sounds like it is a simple fix, if it needs fixing at all.
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-09-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Well I took her apart cleaned and oiled the extractor parts and crevices. I think the bolt is a little twisted so it hangs the extractor collar on the inlet. The magic marker didn't yield any scratching or indication of a bur that would cause the twist. So you reccomend trimming the corner of the extractor claw down some? I'll add the picture to the shared album with my finger pointing to where I'm asking as a reference. I'm also going to purchase a second extractor for backup/testing if it just needed a new one.

Boolit Master
    If you are going to Stone the front of the extractor, first determine if it is best to stone the top or Bottom of the extractor.
    Stoning the bottom will allow the extractor to rotate around more on the bolt, thus lowering the top to clear the receiver slot.
    And the stoning marks will not be Visible.
    Did the bolt lugs clear the receiver with the extractor off the bolt body ?

Boolit Mold
    LAGS,

I just got home and tested the lugs to find that the bolt and bolt lugs can rotate enough to hit the edge. I'll upload more pics showing this issue. I didnt move the bolt forward or back I just rotated the bolt to show the difference in the reveal.

The amount of play in the bolt is only really an issue when I am chambering a round, and the only contact that stops the action is on the extractor body. Once that clears the lug clears too.
    Last edited by Lightening Forged; 07-10-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Boolit Master

You are chambering the rounds from the magazine right?
    If you just drop a round in and try to chamber, you can
    damage the extractor.
    Denny

Boolit Mold
    Yes I'm loading from the magazine. Perhaps the last owner didn't because the extractor claw has some chipping, so I will see if a new extractor is the solution. Any recommendations for new extractors? I found some on gunpartscorp.com

To the best of my understanding my gun is a Czech made k98k given the style of bolt action.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a burr on the extractor, if the extractor is too tight when holding the cartridge against the bolt face it may be getting pushed up enough to hit the receiver cut. With the bolt out of the rifle push a cartridge under it as see if it requires more force to rotate than it does without the cartridge in place. Stone if needed. Had a similar problem on a 1903A3.

Boolit Master

Any 98 bolt extractor should work.. not a hard part to find.
    Denny