MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 12.0 oz. Pewter frame I picked up today for $1.25

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

12.0 oz. Pewter frame I picked up today for $1.25

I’m guessing this one has a lot of tin in it compared to most frames that posters say have a lot of PB on them. It’s almost a bright polished silver color like most of my dinnerware. I did some research on the company. It said after 1992 they removed the “pewter” Stamp from the company logo since they offered other alloys. Mines marked 1994 so I would assume they still branded their pewter, pewter.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-08-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Boolit Master

every thing I find like that has been pot metal, ques your just on the lucky side.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I have to say most of the frames I use to buy marked pewter are dark lead in color and extremely soft where I can bend it easy. This one I can’t bend with my hands. Most posters here say picture frames are mostly PB so I quit buying them but this one is bright silver in appearance so I snagged it up. I believe it’s going to have a high tin content

Here the email response I received today from the manufacturer....

Our products are made using pewter which is more than 90% tin then strengthen with Antimony and Copper.

We changed our name from Selangor Pewter to Royal Selangor as we received the Royal endorsement from our late Sultan(King) of Selangor. We did not change the metal used in our products and only our name were changed.

Kindly let us know if there is any other query.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Sean Kwan

E-Commerce Department
    Royal Selangor International
    www.royalselangor.com

Well, it goes to show you that not ALL picture frames are high in lead and low in tin. Shop on!!!

Boolit Master
    6.1oz sugar cup for $1, my best so far. Never thought to look at picture frames, nice find. todd/3leg
    PS, you should ask them if you can buy their defective ones from the factory!....

Banned
    I would imagine that has greater value as a frame than for melt.
    A dandy find. I got a very nice Revere styled bowl made in real pewter. Because of the maker it is worth many times more as a bowl than melt value. It is also nice looking and functional as a little catch all bowl. So no melt for that guy.

Boolit Buddy
    One of my best pewter buys was not exactly pewter. It was this large ornate carafe with the spigot at the bottom clearly marked as plated. One handle was unattached/broken so I got it for $12. Why? Because while the body was indeed plated copper the legs, handles, spigot, trim and hinged lid were all pewter. I got over four pounds out of it.

Boolit Master

My best ever was an engraved glass bottomed mug at a yard sale marked $.25. When I went to pay, the guy's wife said; "You don't want that". When I countered that I did, she said; Well, take it then, I can't charge you for it". Previous best was a similar item at a thrift shop from the $.25 shelf. When I went to pay, the clerk said that's too much and charged me a dime.
    Selangor pewter is good stuff.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!