Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAA Guardian Jamming

Boolit Master

NAA Guardian Jamming

Hey Folks,
    I purchased an NAA Guardian in 32ACP a couple of months ago. Got dies, brass, and 71 grain fmj projectiles to start while I decided on a mold. I am loading to the very max mag length and am getting nose up jams where the rim dives into the magazine which then partially ejects the mag. I sent the pistol back to NAA where they replaced the springs, magazine eject button, and polished the feed ramp. Back from the range today and they are still nosing up/partially ejecting the mag. Rounds are loaded according to the Lyman 49th edition with 1.9 grains of Red Dot with an oil of .984. This is the longest length that will fit into the mag. Any thoughts before I send it back again?

Kyle

Boolit Grand Master

See if you can see where the "catch" is at. I have had one for years. You might try loading a little shorter like .980 or so.

Is it every round or random in the jams. Does it occur chambering the round or as fired.

Another thing is a semi auto pistol likes a firm solid grip to feed and function reliably. A light relaxed target grip dosnt always help them. These small light pistols jump around and are hard to hold on to.

I have one and its been a good pistol. Im considering cutting a gutter snipe sight groove into the slide ( like the seecamp) in place of the iron sights. Mine dosnt seem fancy and is feed S&B for practice and WW silvertips for carry

Boolit Grand Master

While I don't own that particular gun, I normally don't load to the max. OAL for a semi-auto pistol. For a new to me gun/load I use the OAL from the bullet's manufacturer, or the data from a same size, shape, weight bullet and plunk test...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I don’t load for mine, it’s the only piece I own that I don’t load for, but I’ve had it a long time and it’s never been picky about ammo. In fact it’s been dead reliable. Not helpful I know, but if you want pics or any details about mine I’d be happy to try and help.

Boolit Master
    It has done it with factory rounds as well. The reloaded rounds pass the plunk test and fit the mag. They hand cycle just fine, its during shooting that it jams and dives randomly. I have a pretty firm grip, I load and shoot for an LCP 380. Snappy pistols have never been a problem and I only put 40 rounds through it today so I doubt it got dirty enough to cause any malfunctions. And it happened on the first mag full all they way to last. Ill seat a few shorter and see what happens. As always, I appreciate the wisdom and knowledge on this forum.

All clean lubed up good? Sounds like a mag problem to me

I agree it sounds like a bad magazine, except that it's dropping the mag. First place I'd look is to make certain your not inadvertently hitting the mag release.

Boolit Master
    Its hard enough to hit the mag release when I want to! I thought it might be the case as well, tried different hand positions, and let the RO try the pistol. No joy. The grip panels are thick enough to prevent inadvertently hitting the mag release, it is very tiny, and needs some authority when pushed. It also does this with each of three different mags. It could be the mag springs are weak too.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmm. If you load one less round in the magazine does the first round jam? Not suggesting you load one short, just looking for a clue...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Maybe try some more factory rounds of different types. Mine likes Aguila hollow points.

Boolit Master
    DustyBannister found a link pointing to the extended base plates as the culprit. Does anyone here have them on there mags? Both of mine have them.

https://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=115.0

Boolit Master
    Not to say the extended base plate was the culprit, there were numerous issues being discussed. It was sent as a PM since there was little information presented about the history of the gun, round count, new or used, type of lube,etc. I thought perhaps the OP could read through and pick out the various points that might lead him to resolving his problem. Then comment on what else was tried and if successful or not. Instead of the extended base plate, it might just be the mag release is not completely engaged and that is allowing the mag to drop. Still questions, not a lot of answers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Describe the jam precisely. Where is the rim when it jams? Where is the nose of the bullet? How it jams tells you what is causing it, and “polishing the ramp” is a failed “cure” in 99.999 percent of the instances it is applied. Polishing the ramp makes the customer feel like something positive was done but does not actually cure anything.

A picture of the jam or simulating the exact look of the jam would be helpful.

Is the slide hitting the case in front of the rim and failing to pick it up? This is called bolt over base and means a weak magazine spring or an overly strong action spring, or perhaps both at the same time.

If the “extended baseplate” has some role in affecting spring tension then that is a possibility. Plus one or plus two magazine extensions that put more ammo in the same space are notorious for making a gun jam. If the maker decided a certain number of rounds can fit in the magazine, trying to get more in by making the spring shorter and making the shorter spring work harder to move more ammo further is a recipe for malfunctions.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190709_221312.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	245008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190709_221305.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	245009

I cannot replicate it handcycling. The front of the bullet is jammed against the front edge of the chamber almost perpendicular with the case head buried in the mag. In our PMs, I did explain to Dusty that I neglected to mention the mag catch was replaced with a newer design from NAA. The mag extensions are a rest for a second finger and do not allow for additional rounds. The jam will not happen with a full mag and one in the chamber, it has only occurred after a round has been emptied from a full mag. I only have around 150 rounds through the pistol. It was purchased used which opens this up to various issues.

Mine does not have the extendo base plate. I only have one mag.

That jam indicates limp wristing, weak mag spring, binding mag follower. The cartridge is not raised enough to be stripped off the magazine, or the slide isn't coming back far enough to pick up the fresh round.

Do you know if NAA replaced the mag springs?

Maybe a marginally too heavy recoil spring.

What about a slight burr on the bottom of the slide, at the front that might catch on the rim of the next cartridge, either stopping the slide or bumping the rim of the round down in the magazine long enough that it doesn't get picked up.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 07-10-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    As I suspected. Bolt over base. The slide is outrunning the magazine.

Replace magazine and action spring with fresh ones. If it does it with factory loads this would confirm the diagnosis. The round is not in feeding position when the slide goes forward.

If ejection is reasonably vigorous the jam is not due to the slide not going back far enough.

With the spring removed, do the rounds and follower slide freely through the magazine when stacked within?

Boolit Master
    They do slide freely from the bottom of the mag to the feed lips without restriction. I stretched the mag spring a little and will retest. Regardless, I will order new mag springs. Thank you to all who have responded, much appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want to see if the spring is at fault, see if you can do the following:

Disassemble magazine. Place one, but preferably two, loaded shells at the bottom of the magazine. Put spring and follower back in place atop bottom rounds.

This gives spring a boost in power as more spring occupies less space while at the same time having to hoist less weight upwards to feed. Load magazine with as many rounds as will fit....of course capacity will be less. Retest to see if jam is recurrent. If not, suspect springs. Hopefully your floorplate configuration will allow such a test as I do not know what type of floor configuration your magazine has.

This works as a test in a number of pistols that have a floorplate configuration that allows such manipulation. 1911s are a cinch and it is possible with other designs but not all. Hopefully the magazine bottom will allow you to do such a test.

Boolit Master
    Interesting idea, Remington. Ill give it a shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast