Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I spent My 4th of July

Banned

How I spent My 4th of July

Wednesday night, about 2:30am something went bump in the night. I woke up thinking uh-oh, there is a 12 ga riot gun in the closet, but the ammo is in the basement. But all was quiet after that and I went back to sleep. When I got up at 4am (normal) I found this mess in the living room.

Turned out that the water drain pipe from the AC unit that is mounted in the attic had broken and flooded the ceiling till it gave way. Further investigation revealed that the AC was installed in 1988 and the type of PVC used then was susceptible to heat and would dry out and disintegrate. That is just what it did. The new PVC of today won't do this.

Stainmaster came and cleaned up the mess, the rockwool insulation pile was soaked and stained the carpet black so the carpet is removed. A large section of ceiling is removed to make repairs easier. The original, 1960, ceiling is sheetrock covered with metal lath and plaster.

The picture shows a small amount of this large room, all the furniture is going to have to come out for new flooring, the furniture needs shampooing, the curtains and drapes need cleaning. Everything was covered in rockwool dust making it hard to breath for over a day, even with a large exhaust fan running.

Now I am waiting for the Insurance company to get back to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190704_071754.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	244917

Name:	20190705_134312.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	244918

Name:	20190706_085337.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	244919

Boolit Master

YUK!!!!!
    I will have to check my pipes
    Thank you
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Sorry for your aggravation, but look at the bright side, least it wasn't your press storage or reloading area!

Boolit Master
    That is indeed bad, Pressman, sorry you had to go through it.

Of course, things like that always happen at the worst times. Middle of night, weekends, holidays, whenever everybody's away from work.

Don't know why people think sheetrock is something that can be used in any orientation besides vertical. The notion is a delusion and a snare; all it is is thin pasteboard and pressed chalk. It was used as the ceiling on my porch, but over the years the mud dauber wasps brought enough mud through the edges to weight the ceiling until it fell down with a crash, one Sunday. Must have been 20 lb of mud there, formed into ancient nests. At least there was no water leakage; I lucked out there.

Hope your insurance covers it without problems. A wise friend tells me that there are times in every homeowner's life when there's no other option but to check into a 4-star hotel, order room service, and let the experts deal with the problem. Haven't followed it myself (yet), but I can see the point.

Boolit Master

Plumbing is an invention of the devil.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

Good Grief, that's awful
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Oh man, that there is a mess. Glad it wasn't located over the bedroom. Hoping for the best, for you, in dealing with the insurance.

Boolit Master
    Is it by chance that gray PVC pipe?
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Why anyone thinks having water in the attic is a grand idea is beyond my comprehension! My condenser is in the middle of a slab house, and uses a condensate pump to move that water out. It worries me all the time about the damage that could be done if (when) that pump fails! It's not hooked to the unit, but I do have it alarmed.

Boolit Master

could you use copper tubing? Is schedule 40 OK? I think it can stand 200 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know, I am out of my area of expertise. My major compliment in plumbing is flooding my aunt's bathroom and bedroom. My best bud told me when we got things under control that he had hired on as a beginner plumber and the first day on the job flooded an complete K-Mart store. I said that from now on you can do the work and I'll watch.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    That was quite a mess. Feb 1st we had a shower faucet fail. We had some really cold weather for our area, but the pipes did not freeze, inside wall, but the faucet sure cracked. So not as much mess as the op, but a mess nevertheless

Boolit Master

Sorry for the mess, glad it wasn't your bedroom or loading area.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Sorry about your house.
    But heres a dumb question. Why is your gun in your closet and the ammo in the basement. That makes it nothing more than an unhandy club. If it had been an actual intruder you would now be a statistic. Just something to think about

Boolit Master
    The piping was probably the off white CPVC it gets brittle over time. All appliances/mechanical equipment need annual checks just for reason as this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Why anyone thinks having water in the attic is a grand idea is beyond my comprehension! My condenser is in the middle of a slab house, and uses a condensate pump to move that water out. It worries me all the time about the damage that could be done if (when) that pump fails! It's not hooked to the unit, but I do have it alarmed.
    Your condensate pump should be wired to your your a/c unit on the float switch. It's easy to do and can be done by yourself, it's low voltage and breaks the call from the t-stat to the a/c unit.

Boolit Master
    What a nightmare! So sorry to hear about this Ken. Doesn’t this make the third water issue with the house within the last 18 months? Sure hope that it is the last.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Sounds like your day wet about like mine . . . I had to prepare for a colonoscopy the first thing on Friday morning.

Sorry for your mess . . . never fun when things like that happen and I imagine it won't be much fun dealing with the insurance adjuster either

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Sorry about your house.
    But heres a dumb question. Why is your gun in your closet and the ammo in the basement. That makes it nothing more than an unhandy club. If it had been an actual intruder you would now be a statistic. Just something to think about
    Yep we have no kids in house so i can lay my hand on a loaded gun at all times. Now if grandkids come over everything gets locked up. Started doing this after some fool just walked in wanting to buy drugs he was so drunk and or high didn't even know where he was but he did get a ride in a police car.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    What a nightmare! So sorry to hear about this Ken. Doesn’t this make the third water issue with the house within the last 18 months? Sure hope that it is the last.
    This is actually the fourth. The electronic brain for the boiler failed completely, only it was late May with temperatures in the 40's at night, flood avoided.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    The piping was probably the off white CPVC it gets brittle over time. All appliances/mechanical equipment need annual checks just for reason as this.
    Yes, you are correct. The pipe was so brittle I could squeeze it and crush it. I am checking the rest of the house to see if there is any more of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast