Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a ssa colt style pistol

My first centerfire SA was a Ruger 4-5/8” 3 screw .357. I loved that thing. I’ve always admired the Ubertis and no one has mentioned their Remington 1875/1890 clones- which are very nice as well. I just can’t justify the $$$$ for a Colt when the Ubertis are of equal quality. Don’t hate me.
    Fixed sights often mean one load is the only one that hits point of aim but that’s not an awful thing if it’s a good load.

Boolit Master

I've got a Ruger Blackhawk and a Uberti 1873. both in .45 colt. Like someone said, Ruger for strength and Uberti for authenticity. You would be happy with either, and happier with both!

Nothing wrong with a Colt either...

Start a poll and get a consensus...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

While an SA in .357 is the cheapest to shoot, I've never cared for the extra weight and heft of that additional metal in the barrel and cylinder. They just don't feel like a big bore SA feels.
    Ruger Flattop Convertible ( one cylinder for .45 Colt and one cylinder to shoot .45 ACP). 5 1/2" barrel, and some gunsmithing extras that I did myself:

Boolit Master
    I too think you should consider weights. The Uberti is slightly heavier than a Colt SAA because the cylinder is a bit larger, so stronger also. The Ruger Flattops with steel grip frames are heavier still. A Uberti in .44 or .45 will give you the Colt feel without the Colt price and weigh under 40 ounces. The .357s are heavier, whether Colt or Uberti, but especially Ruger unless you get the aluminum gripframe.

No experience with a SAA or clone in .38-40 but part of me would really like to try that one.
    Rule 303

I've never owned a colt or clone. Owned several Ruger new models though. For me I would rather have the ability to carry 6 instead of 5. I think the beretta clone is a transfer bar gun, but it's been a long time since I looked at one. Not to mention that colts have a trigger that is not centered. That don't bother most but I can't stand it. I'm a shooter and all my guns are working guns, I prefer the adjustable sights on the Ruger. But I've been known to shoot handguns to 50 yards regularly, and past on occasion. I've shot my 1911 out to 125 yards against my 2/3 IPSC. Many folks don't shoot past 25 so if their gun pulls 4 inches left at 50 it's no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Uberti for authenticity; Ruger for strength
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I've got a Ruger Blackhawk and a Uberti 1873. both in .45 colt. Like someone said, Ruger for strength and Uberti for authenticity. You would be happy with either, and happier with both!
    Uberti's, Ruger Flat Top's (new), and New Vaquero's are all available in 45 ACP whose maximum pressure is 23,000 psi in +P loading, so they're all about the same where strength is concerned. In fact, if you ta a caliper to any of their cylinders, you'll find them nearly identical dimensionally.

I was bitten by the SA bug about 10 years ago and it's turned into a chronic infection. I now own or have owned them in Colt (1st and 3rd Generation), Pietta, Uberti/Cimarron, Ruger, Sauer and USFA, and chambered in 32-20, 38 Special, .357 Magnum, 38-40, .44 Special, 44-40, .44 Magnum and 45 Colt.

Colt's are just too expensive for a range toy. 1st Gen's are usually very well built, but loose from 100+ years of use, but can be a good investment. I have two (1903 & 1905) in 38-40 and love them. 2nd Gen's are well built, but expensive. 3rd Gen's are a **** shoot where quality is concerned. In fact al Colt's are just plain expensive!

I've only owned one Pietta, and was not impressed with it, but I could've just gotten a bad egg.

Where Ruger's are concerned, I had a New Vaquero in 45 Colt. Never again. I had to put way too much sweat into that thing to get it to shoot, and the problems associated with this model are very well known. I have a Flat Top .44 Special and it's a nice revolver grouping 6" - 7" at 100 yds. I also had a 6 1/2" Blackhawk .357. It was a shooter too but too heavy for carrying.

I owned two J.P. Sauer's in .44 Magnum and sold them, BIG mistake. Those are some extremely well fitted revolvers and both were beautifully accurate. They're also available in .357, but they're fairly large revolvers too.

I've owned and still own close to a dozen Uberti's. If you're OK with fixed sights, you need look no further. My oldest was made in the '90's and the newest about two years ago. Uberti's quality just seems to keep improving. The fit of these revolvers, especially for the price is quite amazing. Any of these revolvers will easily keep all their shots into fist size groups at 50 yds. when fired from a seated, back rested position. I've bought three 2017 production Uberti's and all of them were out-of-the-box accurate, had very nice triggers, and were well fitted. The most recent, a 7 1/2" Flat Top 44-40 to which I fitted a .44 Special cylinder, has just blown me away.

SO for brand, if you're OK with a fixed sighted revolver, get a Uberti. I know there are tons of posts regarding fixed sighted SA revolvers shooting left, but I assure you from my own experience that 99% of the time it's the shooter, not the revolver. Up until a couple of years ago Uberti made their revolvers with an unobtrusive safety that when the hammer was drawn back to the safe notch, pivoted up and acted as a block. These are my favorite, but they're running out having been replaced by a retracting or floating firing pin.

If you want a revolver with adjustable sights, a Ruger Flat Top would be my first choice.

As to calibers, if you only want something to take to the range, by all means get a .357. The versatility of this chambering just can't be overstated. Just last night I grabbed one of my .357's and did a little 75 yd. plinking. Even with fixed sights, hitting my 75 yd. steel plate was easy with 38 Special loads at 850 fps and .357 loads at 1350 fps. I have a couple of .357 Uberti Hombre's left over from when I tried CAS for a while and they're remarkably accurate for entry level revolvers-

These can still be found without the floating firing pin and worth the money.

If you think you might ever hunt with your revolver, by all means get a .44 Special. The beauty of this caliber is it doesn't seem to be at all picky about powders and bullets and that POI's are very close whether one uses the original load of a 246 gr. RN @ 750 fps or a hunting load of a 260 gr. SWC @ 1000 or more fps. I've probably fired more .44 Special than all others combined and it's my favorite caliber for hunting. I've owned 6 or 8 in this caliber and not one has been inaccurate.

The 45 Colt is an interesting round but a little more difficult to shoot as POI's vary a lot, especially when one uses varying weights of bullets.

I like all the remaining calibers and shoot them quite a bit, but the 38/357 and .44 Special are far and away the most practical.

Good luck with your choice!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    As 35Whelen pointed out, the new Uberti's have a retracting firing pin. This allows one to load six. I've had one come through the shop and it was pretty impressive.

Mike

Boolit Buddy

I like the Rugers and own a 38/357 Blackhawk. Used to own a Blackhawk in .41 Mag and sold it in a moment of stupidity. You can keep all six rounds in a Blackhawk because it has a transfer bar. I can reload it for 8 cents a round and 38/357 brass is everywhere. Here it is with my Marlin in the same caliber. I picked it up used for $300.

“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Cowboy action shooters appear to eventually migrate to 357/38 for cost and speed. The weight is noticeable comparing a 38 SAA to a 44 or 45, but this mainly just comes to play when you “play” with your saa and less so when shooting. I am loading a 200 grain bullet for both 44 and 45 at about 700 FPS for cowboy action and I can shoot this all day long at the range for plinking, it also shoots very close to a 250 grain bullet going out at 850-900 FPS out to about 25 yards. Cowboy action will allow blackhawks and New Frontiers in certain categories so if you like adjustable sights, get one. No wait, get 2, one in each caliber and enjoy.

Boolit Master
    To the OP,,, a lot of folks have said for you to try them before you spend money. Sage advice.

You mentioned no shops or clubs near you.

Do this;

Get online,, look up the Single Action Shooting Society. Find clubs & matches,, as you may not be aware of where they all are located. You may have to drive an hour or two to find one,, but it will be WELL worth it. Go to a match or 3,, and when you arrive,, introduce yourself to the folks running the match & say you are interested in watching & trying it a little. Explain your thoughts & what you desire. Shooters will fall all over themselves offering help to you. You WILL get to try different guns, ammo & such to see what will fit YOU & your desires. And while shooting an actual stage & all may seem intimidating at first,, they will be patient & help you.
    And if you really just want to test fire a few guns,, many will let you do so "off to the side" SAFELY,, in a bay under the guidance of a safety officer.
    It is well worth the time it'll take to do this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    To the OP,,, a lot of folks have said for you to try them before you spend money. Sage advice.

You mentioned no shops or clubs near you.

Do this;

Get online,, look up the Single Action Shooting Society. Find clubs & matches,, as you may not be aware of where they all are located. You may have to drive an hour or two to find one,, but it will be WELL worth it. Go to a match or 3,, and when you arrive,, introduce yourself to the folks running the match & say you are interested in watching & trying it a little. Explain your thoughts & what you desire. Shooters will fall all over themselves offering help to you. You WILL get to try different guns, ammo & such to see what will fit YOU & your desires. And while shooting an actual stage & all may seem intimidating at first,, they will be patient & help you.
    And if you really just want to test fire a few guns,, many will let you do so "off to the side" SAFELY,, in a bay under the guidance of a safety officer.
    It is well worth the time it'll take to do this.
    Also, NCOWS. National Congress of Old West Shooters.

Boolit Master
    45 "COLT" nuff said

Boolit Buddy
    From pure economics I'd say go .38 special. I had a friend in high school who had his cowboy grandfathers original Colt in 32-20, so when I had the chance to get a Uberti 32-20 I took it. But its a sentimental decision on my part.

I love my Uberti 32-20, it's a neat little cartridge that's a miser when it comes to lead and powder.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the info. I have a lot of gun shops around me but every body is in to the plastic guns. So no body carries the sa guns .I bought my first 1851 navy in 82 when I was 14 with my lawn mowing money. I shot it thousands and thousands of rounds. I also bought three 1858 Remingtons in 45 later on. The 1851 in 36 is still my favorite bp gun. I can just shoot it better. Don’t know why but that little 36 is lighter and just shoots to where I aim at. The grip also fits me better. I reload for over 20 calibers so reloading for it is a must. The Rugers are almost out of my price range but the convertible in 357/ 9mm or the 45colt/ 45acp with adj sights are are almost to good to pass up. The Italian guns with the case harden frame blue barrel and cylinder are almost like a work of art . I will look up clubs in my area. They should have one close to me. I hope. But then I get to decide on only one for now . So many good choices out there. Thank for all the reply’s and help

Boolit Master
    35 Whelen that 32/20 you have like I said looks to me like a work of art. Very awesome looking gun . About perfect in my eyes .

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    35 Whelen that 32/20 you have like I said looks to me like a work of art. Very awesome looking gun . About perfect in my eyes .
    Well thank you. If you like it, then I'm sure you'll appreciate this one-

This is a Uberti Frisco. It was a display model and some knucklehead scored a line around the cylinder, but a beautiful revolver, none the less. Too bad they only chamber them in 45 Colt.

35W

NRA Life Member

Ruger Blackhawk is the best you can by without going into hi end semi custom which are mostly refined Rugers.
    Most durable SA ever built including Colt. Many models and calibers available to pick from. I like the old 3 screw model in 45Colt.

Boolit Master

"So, if you think you might want to use it for both plinking & hunting get a 44 magnum & you can shoot 44 specials also." Sixshot

Not trying to be controversial, but is there any advantage to shooting 44 Special over downloaded 44 Magnum?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast