MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a ssa colt style pistol

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    "So, if you think you might want to use it for both plinking & hunting get a 44 magnum & you can shoot 44 specials also." Sixshot

Not trying to be controversial, but is there any advantage to shooting 44 Special over downloaded 44 Magnum?
    I vote no. In fact having killed more than a few head of game with .44 cast bullets, there's no need for the power of a .44 Magnum for game in the deer and hog size range. Even bullets plugging along at 900 fps or so completely penetrate on broadside shots.

The single advantage I see to the magnum is availability of factory ammunition, which matters little to handloaders.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Also looked at the EAA bounty hunter made in Germany. Does any body have any experience with that brand? I also like the 32 H&R mag and the 327 but very few companies make them and they are priced like it. The 32/20 38/40 and the 44/40 are also priced higher than the 357 of 45 colt.

Boolit Master
    Got another question. For accuracy what would pick. 38/357/ 9 mm Or 45 colt/45 acp I know it depends on the gun but some of you cowboy saa guys what seems overall more accurate?

Boolit Master
    I have seen a lot of myths posted. first the .45 colt was the most powerful handgun until it was replaced by the .357 mag in 1932. the difference in weight is so small it only counts to those trying to say mine is better then yours. also you can carry six in a old model rugers ,colts and colt clones safely.

Ruger Blackhawk 41 magnum. Mild to Wild, accurate enough to make you look good. I have played with most of the aforementioned calibers but the 41 magnum is the one I always come back to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    It was the Colt Walker that was the most powerful until the 357.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    If you really liked the feel of your 51 Navy, then a Uberti SAA is the way to go. The grip is virtually identical. There are always people who say the early Rugers are also just as close, but they are very expensive and very hard to find now. From what you have posted, go with an Uberti. Personally, I would chose .45 colt because that is what the earliest ones were, but the .357 mag in this revolver has probably more general utility. But for me, I want to play with historical black powder loads, so the .45 colt is it. Plenty of smokeless possibilities also.

Boolit Master
    About 20 years ago there was a 41 mag real cheep at a local gun shop. They only wanted 250 for it. It looked new. I thought about buying it but really didint load for pistols yet. A 40 cal to me is about perfect

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have seen a lot of myths posted. first the .45 colt was the most powerful handgun until it was replaced by the .357 mag in 1932. the difference in weight is so small it only counts to those trying to say mine is better then yours. also you can carry six in a old model rugers ,colts and colt clones safely.
    I don’t think you understand the issue of carrying an old style SA fully loaded. Perhaps you should do more homework. And it’s irresponsible to advise others who are asking about a particular platform if you are advocating unsafe practices.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master
    I don't think you know what you are talking about. you have to look at the cap and ball pistols and then go figure it out. but at no time is the hammer over a live primer except when the gun is cocked to fire.

Boolit Master
    The SAA and a cap and ball are different.

The below photo is of a Colt Single Action Army. My Uberti Single Action pre-safety type is the same way. The hammer is absolutely over a live primer, and the firing pin touches the primer.

I’m this first photo you can see the hammer at rest and the firing pin protruding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54C73EDA-FF8C-4169-82BA-628A77CE414C.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	245099

In this second photo you can see the hammer at rest and the firing pin resting on the “primer” of a snap cap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB584B69-000E-4350-A130-E7A2C098609C.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	245100
    Last edited by Love Life; 07-11-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Having owned a number of them, I prefer a true Colt SAA.

Not cheap, but they hold their value well. I have settled on .38/.357 and shoot almost exclusively .38’s.

Getting them tuned makes a noticeable difference in smoothness and speed
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I think what bob is referring to is to let the hammer down between chambers. Some of the early C&B had small pins that would engage the hammer to keep the cylinder from rotating. The Remington had notches in the cylinder for the same purpose.

I never tried that with a SAA type. The only SA I owned was a Blackhawk with transfer bar. .45 convertible. Shot well but I never warmed up to it.

Father-in-law had an Uberti in .357 that he really liked. It liked larger bullets at med or low power loads. He carried snake shot in the first two chambers, 158gn cast SWC in the other four (he had more rattlesnakes than other predators where he lived).

I have to admit that I liked the feel of the Uberti in .357 better than my Ruger. Obviously I did not keep the Ruger very long.

If it matters my wife found an original Colt in .32-20 that she fell in love with. The only reason we don't have it is the price was north of $4000.

Boolit Master
    you got it the firing pin is trapped between the rims of two cartages and rests against the steel of the cylinder.

Bob, I've never heard of that trick with a SAA, thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master
    bob208,, I read & re-read your post; "also you can carry six in a old model rugers ,colts and colt clones safely." I must that exception to trying this with an OM Ruger. If you try to; "you got it the firing pin is trapped between the rims of two cartages and rests against the steel of the cylinder." you will have a "Loose cylinder" that isn't locked in place, and could rotate to where the firing pin is over a live round. To rotate a Ruger to try & put the firing pin in between two rounds,, the gun has to be in the half-cock position. It is NOT a safe idea to try & do this with an OM Ruger, built between 1953 & 1973.

Boolit Master
    Historically the accepted practice for pre hammer block/transfer bar revolvers was an empty chamber under the hammer for every day cary.

I think Bob was confused. If you carry 6 with an OM Ruger, Colt or Colt clone, eventually you'll have an accident.
    First he said OM Rugers, Colts and Colt clones, then in reply #50 he changed that to cap and ball pistols.

As far as his other myths, the .357 was not introduced in 1932. Some sources say 1934, some 1935.
    Difference in weights of various SA's is small as he said, just a few ounces. But there is a big difference in balance and feel because of the extra metal in the .357's. I've never held a .357 SA that felt and handled as nice as a .44 or .45.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Got another question. For accuracy what would pick. 38/357/ 9 mm Or 45 colt/45 acp I know it depends on the gun but some of you cowboy saa guys what seems overall more accurate?
    All of those are more accurate than we are, but I will relate my own experiences. I own a Uberti, .45 Colt with 7 1/2" barrel. I also own a Cimarron .45 Colt with 5 1/2" barrel. In MY hands, the longer barrel is more accurate, or at least more consistent. Nothing wrong with the shorter barrel either, but it does require a bit more concentration. My wife shoots a Ruger Vaquero, .357, 5 1/2" barrel. She was really having trouble hitting the targets, so I took a turn with it. I couldn't hit consistently either. It was shooting low and to the left for both of us. I bought a Cimarron in .357, 5 1/2 barrel. It shoots to the point of aim right out of the box and put the fun back into the game.

Where a fixed sight gun hits out of the box doesn't answer jneidbalski's question about accuracy.
    In the Ruger convertibles, cheap 115 grain FMJ out of the 9mm cylinder isn't going to do as well as most .357 ammo will.
    I got pretty good (2 inch groups at 25 yards) using 147 grain Federal FMJ.

With the 45ACP, you'll probably do better because the diameter of those is a better match to bore diameter.

If you reload, you can see better accuracy with any caliber.

And those fixed sight revolvers like the Vaquero can be regulated so they don't shoot low and left ( or where ever).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast