Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pig hunting w/cannon

Contact detonators aren't legal for hunting anything but people so maybe he should have used grape shot, chain shot or bar shot. But then I ask myself about what I thought when my backyard got roto-tilled by hogs...

Would I have used solid shot? Maybe that depends on how many I could get lined up.

Boolit Master
    What about all the poisoning they do to eradicate hogs. It’s a more slow painful death. But that’s ok because the states do it.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I know that they cause a lot of damage. And i am sure i can guess what i would have thought if they tore up my yard. And no i don't think all that much of poisoning them. Maybe there should be a bounty on them? I do realize that not ever kill is clean but that is what one should strive for. As i said before this was a stunt plain and simple for youtube. As such i for one think it was disgraceful. I quit hunting because i don't particularly like wild game ( sorry ) and i will not kill an animal i do not intend to eat. When i did hunt i tried my best to end the animal as quickly as possible.

Boolit Grand Master

Where were you guys when they posted the latest video of a guy annihilating herds of pigs and some coyote with a slug gun from a helicopter? That post had nothing but good remarks. The guy gut shot half of them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Where were you guys when they posted the latest video of a guy annihilating herds of pigs and some coyote with a slug gun from a helicopter? That post had nothing but good remarks. The guy gut shot half of them.
    Never saw it or I would have complained all the same.

I want to mount a Hi-point pistol ( with remote trigger) on a drone and do some strafing fire on them. I’m sort of kidding. Sort of.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There are some interesting videos about a professional company, who sets up a pen with a feeder and remote camera. When all get used to going in to eat, he triggers the closing of the trap by cellphone. Next day they dispatched them humanly. That’s probably the best way, but somebody has to pay for it and I bet it’s not cheap.

Banned

Grape shot has been mentioned as a substitute..........that is a sure way to gut shoot the whole bunch!

Boolit Buddy

Glad everyone knows satire when they read it!!!!! It's a pig and Texas is at war with them. It's not called hunting it called extermination. Not meant to be ethical or humanly, just exterminate them. My wife is from Texas, and we have friends and family there, so I do know about the hog problem in Texas. We have a growing hog problem in Tn. now, but not as bad as Texas.

My hunting partner bow killed a hog that was still wearing some buckshot in different non-vital parts. That could mean that the shot was taken at too long a distance. I was mortified to find the coyote still alive. I had been plowing a field when a coyote came ambling along the raised concrete irrigation ditch, checking the gopher holes. Stopped the tractor at the end of the row and waited with the Remington .222 Rem. loaded with 50 grain bullet @ 3400 fps. Took the shot at around 70 yards and down it went.. When finishing up the field a fellow worker came along and we went over to look at the coyote. After that, I have learned to follow up on the shot.

Thanks for posting the video.
    I respect that the people of Texas made the activity legal.
    I haven't watched his other videos, but I doubt that a hunter would go out and buy a cannon simply for a youtube stunt.
    He seemed to be enjoying himself and his level of excitement and adrenaline seemed to be genuine.
    Folks have the right to criticize him just as he has the right to enjoy the activity.
    The hunt seemed to be a fair chase and the hunter also appears to be a nice guy.
    The hog certainly had a better chance to survive in the wild than if it were in a slaughter house.
    But what a way to go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Grape shot has been mentioned as a substitute..........that is a sure way to gut shoot the whole bunch!
    I guess you never heard of tongue in cheek humor! If anyone took what I wrote as anything but humor, the lights are on but you're not home.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    Thanks for posting the video.
    I respect that the people of Texas made the activity legal.
    I haven't watched his other videos, but I doubt that a hunter would go out and buy a cannon simply for a youtube stunt.
    He seemed to be enjoying himself and his level of excitement and adrenaline seemed to be genuine.
    Folks have the right to criticize him just as he has the right to enjoy the activity.
    The hunt seemed to be a fair chase and the hunter also appears to be a nice guy.
    The hog certainly had a better chance to survive in the wild than if it were in a slaughter house.
    But what a way to go.
    Well you better think again. I never realized that they get paid for the views they get. But he probably bought the cannon for the cannon. But shooting a pig with it was a stunt plain and simple. My son showed me where some fool made several million dollars playing a video game and people would watch him on u tube. The video would have been pretty neat with just the cannon i think. It was killing a pig with it that jumped up the shock factor. If he was worried about eradication then get a rifle and do it quickly and humanely.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Well you better think again. I never realized that they get paid for the views they get. But he probably bought the cannon for the cannon. But shooting a pig with it was a stunt plain and simple. My son showed me where some fool made several million dollars playing a video game and people would watch him on u tube. The video would have been pretty neat with just the cannon i think. It was killing a pig with it that jumped up the shock factor. If he was worried about eradication then get a rifle and do it quickly and humanely.
    exactly. vids like this pig/cannon one do real hunting an immense disservice in the eyes of the non-hunting public.

we hunters need to think smart, not dumb, or we'll be extinct. think not? then yer living in a bubble and not experiencing the reality of what's happening in the USA today, as our constitutional rights and freedoms are pecked away by the political whacko crows.

What does the non-hunting public in 49 other states have to do with what they choose to do in Texas, nor should anyone else be concerned.
    In Vermont they've allow shooting pickerel [fish] with rifles for generations and does anyone think that it has affected their hunting rights in their own state one bit?
    Of course not because the biologists and legislators who get together to make the laws don't care what the people in other states or non-hunters think.
    Half the citizens in this country don't even vote.
    They may complain and make noise but their impact is not a very important piece of the big picture.
    Texans care about Texas more than anyone else in the country.
    And state legislative leadership doesn't usually ever put anti-hunters on committees that regulate hunting lest they rile up the hunting rights advocate groups themselves which they are largely there to serve.
    Who cares what the vegetarians think?
    It doesn't amount to a hill of beans [pun intended].
    The sky is not falling....and hunting rights will not be affected in any state by what they do in Texas.
    Texas is sovereign and a hog is just another name for a pig.
    The last time PETA tried to protest a special deer hunt in my state, a hunter anti-harrassment law was passed prohibiting interference with legal hunting activity or face jail time.
    If the anti's don't like it then let them face the music via the long arm of the law.
    And most people already know what's in the can of dog or cat food when they open one up to feed their pet.
    Last edited by arcticap; 07-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    What does the non-hunting public in 49 other states have to do with what they choose to do in Texas, nor should anyone else be concerned.
    In Vermont they've allow pickerel shooting [fish] for generations and does anyone think that it has affected their hunting rights?
    I don't think so because the biologists and legislators who get together to make the laws don't care what the people in other states or non-hunters think.
    Half the citizens in this country don't even vote.
    They may complain and make noise but their impact is not a very important piece of the big picture.
    Texans care about Texas more than anyone else in the country.
    Who cares what the vegetarians think.
    It doesn't amount to a hill of beans [pun intended].
    The sky is not falling....and hunting rights will not be affected in any state by what they do in Texas.
    Texas is sovereign and hogs are hogs.
    Most people know what's in the can of dog or cat food that they open one up to feed their pet.
    Well the non hunting public is the majority. And if you think that they couldnt ban it well you better think again. There is no right to hunt in the us constitution. I don't hunt but i do know the benefits that hunters do . And have absolutely no problem with hunters. I truely believe that with the help of the media our rights are temporary just look at the trend if you had told anyone in the sixties that we would have the restrictions on guns that we have today they would though you were crazy. The liberals just keep chipping away. Now you have politicians now advocating for confiscation. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime but i think it will happen. Gun owners are to easily divided. When they passed the assault weapons ban i had a lot of friends saying i don't care they aren't after my shotgun or bolt rifle. I tried to explain that if they stood by and let them take my guns then why would i care when the government came for there's. All i heard was oh that will never happen. The same way i heard on this forum about bump stocks. Oh they are worthless or i don't own one. I don't own one either but it sets a dangerous example when you can buy a legal product and have a bureaucrat with a pen make it illegal. Stupid stunts like this help no one.

Banned

y'all need to realize that since the mid 20th century hunting in the USA has been under attack. and clearly it's gotten worse as the decades fly by. we fought for our freedom from the brits - do we really want to end up like the brits of today, with severe restrictions on guns and hunting? this is not radical thinking at all, it's the reality of the 21st century in the USA.

wake up American sportsmen, hunters, and weapons users - this ain't the 1950's where i went to high school with my cased rifle team .22 on the school bus or travelled with it on any urban public transportation. those who would restrict and deny us our constitutional rights are in legion today. this isn't a state thing, it's a national epidemic and why we're in the middle of a very serious cold civil war of ideologies. blowing up a pig with a cannon just adds fuel to the PETA fires. if you can't see that truth, i'm sorry for y'all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Well the non hunting public is the majority. And if you think that they couldnt ban it well you better think again. There is no right to hunt in the us constitution. I don't hunt but i do know the benefits that hunters do . And have absolutely no problem with hunters. I truely believe that with the help of the media our rights are temporary just look at the trend if you had told anyone in the sixties that we would have the restrictions on guns that we have today they would though you were crazy. The liberals just keep chipping away. Now you have politicians now advocating for confiscation. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime but i think it will happen. Gun owners are to easily divided. When they passed the assault weapons ban i had a lot of friends saying i don't care they aren't after my shotgun or bolt rifle. I tried to explain that if they stood by and let them take my guns then why would i care when the government came for there's. All i heard was oh that will never happen. The same way i heard on this forum about bump stocks. Oh they are worthless or i don't own one. I don't own one either but it sets a dangerous example when you can buy a legal product and have a bureaucrat with a pen make it illegal. Stupid stunts like this help no one.
    Was done with this topic BUT , then I saw gun owners are easily divided and isn"t that exactly what this topic on this forum doing? A perfect illustration of this quote and as previously stated ,No I don"t hunt with cannons how ever I do shoot steel with a 74 C Sharps (that count ?) Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Was done with this topic BUT , then I saw gun owners are easily divided and isn"t that exactly what this topic on this forum doing? A perfect illustration of this quote and as previously stated ,No I don"t hunt with cannons how ever I do shoot steel with a 74 C Sharps (that count ?) Ed
    Yes i would agree that it does. Some think that they can't lose there hunting privileges and they are privileges at least on national level. And federal law overrules state law. I can imagine what the nonhunting public thinks when they see something like this. It is very easy for them to use this type of stunt against hunters portraying them as a bunch of blood thirsty savages. And if anyone thinks that the media is going to tell the truth about how hunting is necessary for the good of the animal. As it helps keep the population in check in line with available resources. The media will look for anything that will gun owners look bad.
    Oh by the way your sharpes counts in my book.

Banned

benny said it best in the 18th century, but i'll rephrase it a bit to apply to the 21st century ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast