Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pig hunting w/cannon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I know people who couldn't make a better shot if you gave them the most accurate rifle in the world. I can't think of much better for an accidental gut shot than a 1 1/2" diameter ball. It seems odd that a bunch of muzzleloader shooters are arguing over the ethical nature of a muzzleloader mounted on wheels.
    Its a feral pig!! they are about as despicable a critter as a fourlegged animal can get - If you broke yr ankle in a gopher hole that sod would eat you alive and not bat an eyelid - he followed up and put it down clean - yeah not ideal but ..................

Boolit Master
    Use grape shot in that cannon and get more! Feral pigs only deserve the lead pill. They are destructive and not even native to this country.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I don't hunt but have nothing against those who do. I think it is very unethical to make any animal suffer. You should kill it as quick and as clean as possible. I have no problem killing them off but that doesn't mean make them suffer. Horses are not native either should all of them be killed off to?
    And i know that pigs are destructive and all that . But shooting it with a canon while filming is just a stunt that never should have happened.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I don't hunt but have nothing against those who do. I think it is very unethical to make any animal suffer. You should kill it as quick and as clean as possible. I have no problem killing them off but that doesn't mean make them suffer. Horses are not native either should all of them be killed off to?
    And i know that pigs are destructive and all that . But shooting it with a canon while filming is just a stunt that never should have happened.
    Only problem is the gore did not need to be shown ,but he hunts and that ain"t bad . I"ve seen poorly hit pigs with my front stuffers/bows ect and thou you will never see them on youtube it doesn"t mean it didn"t happen (RARE EVENT )but I hunt a lot and 60 yrs stuff happens ! The guy did justice to the pig ,followed/killed it /retrieved it .His method isn"t mine but the shot was good ,like nobody ever had a live critter move as you shot (HA) And he had a great attitude doing the hunt start to
    Finish/Ed

Grape shot, chain shot, bar shot, buck shot... does anybody make hog shot?

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    +1
    I very much agree with the way of thinking.
    There is nothing wrong with saving suffering. Probably a well-placed shot with that cannon is a quick and clean death. But if you can not be sure to put the shot safely in a vital area, you'd better use it to shoot the paper.

Boolit Master
    I was actually surprised (after the video was posted for those of us who won’t sign in) that his cannon seemed quite accurate. However any firearm where you duck before you pull the trigger isn’t something you should use to hunt with, and we see that with a gut shot hog.

I have no real soft spot for hogs, but they deserve a quick kill, and a weapon that you can’t do it with shouldn’t be used.

I loved his enthusiasm, regardless, and even though I may disagree with his method here I can certainly agree with his tenacity to find it and ensure it was taken.

I agree that if you should kill an animal, it should be a fast humane shot and use all the ethics at your disposal. When I first saw the video I was thinking that the muzzle loaders would be glad to see how this guy uses blackpowder. As a hunter we need to do everything possible to avoid wounding an animal with a careless shot. I think that if the guy was too afraid to be looking in the crosshairs making sure of the shot, he shouldn't have taken it. Anyway, I posted it just because it showed an interesting way burn a lot of blackpowder.

Boolit Master
    I was hoping to see a good shoulder shot with that cannon, something you could see light through. I've hunted hogs and even been charged by one which was wounded so know the virtue of a clean kill. At least he trailed it down and finished it. They are a major pest here in Florida and most of the deep south.

Boolit Master
    When I saw the accuracy potential on the jug of water I began to second guess my judgement of using a cannon. It’s clearly there, and more than I expected. But on a live animal if you can’t have some sort of follow through I don’t think you should be using it, though grape shot would be a bit different.

I’ve not had to track a wounded hog but know they can be quite nasty so I give kudos to not just leaving it to die in some brush. I would have been a bit puckered, but then again I have a single action... It has plenty of thump but is far from quick.

I’m a bit curious why he felt the need to duck.

And actually I’m a bit curious about his cannon. Pretty cool.

Banned

using a cannon to kill any critter is just flat out dumb and unethical. i've killed plenty of pigs - with a longbow - but i'm in as best control of my weapon as i can be for both holding its draw weight and aiming at the moment of the shaft's release. if i wasn't in a goodly measure of control of the shot, i wouldn't hunt with a longbow, period. i'd give that cannon shooter kudos if he shouldered it for aiming, but a cannon is a howitzer is a mortar, and there is no fine aiming at the instant it's triggered on game that can and will move, to make sure the projectile is at least reasonably accurate. love that li'l cannon, but strongly condemn how it was used. that vid is just more cannon fodder for the PETA whackos, and don't think that they don't troll for that kinda ammunition. that feller just shot all us hunters in the proverbial foot. stupid is as stupid does.

Boolit Buddy

Cannons were invented to kill and destroy humans. We still use them for that purpose. So which is worse killing humans or hogs?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It would have been better and more interesting, if it was a shoulder shot with a lead ball.

If you haven’t experienced the damage they do, it may be hard to hate them as an enemy, but to a lot of farmers, it’s war!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Cannons were invented to kill and destroy humans. We still use them for that purpose. So which is worse killing humans or hogs?
    you've got to be joking, but clearly you aren't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    It would have been better and more interesting, if it was a shoulder shot with a lead ball.

If you haven’t experienced the damage they do, it may be hard to hate them as an enemy, but to a lot of farmers, it’s war!
    feral hogs are a major epidemic in the USA, no question. and it's getting worse every year. i have no problem killin' hogs, my favorite game to hunt - and eat.

Boolit Master

Good grief!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I love eating them too. The most objectionable part in the video, for me was when he said he was just going to drag it off and leave it. I can understand, if he already has a lot of meat, too much can be too much. My wife is always complaining, when am I going to get more pig out of the freezer, so she can have some more room in it?

Boolit Master
    I love eating them too. The most objectionable part in the video, for me was when he said he was just going to drag it off and leave it. I can understand, if he already has a lot of meat, too much can be too much. My wife is always complaining, when am I going to get more pig out of the freezer, so she can have some more room in it?
    Oops! I quoted the wrong post earlier. Sorry.

Boolit Master

Good grief!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I really hate to say this and hope you don't take offense but that is one of the dumbest analogy i have heard in a while. I have no love of hogs and have no problem with trying to eradicate them. But what this guy did was a stunt so he could film it and put it on youtube. If you can't kill an animal quickly and humanely you have no business trying.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast