Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Have you noticed the escalating prices for 310 stuff?

Boolit Master

Have you noticed the escalating prices for 310 stuff?

Hardly ever see lots of 310 dies & parts sold as a "lot" any more. they are pricing items by the die, breaking up sets I believe. But now they are advertising the empty die and tool boxes! Prices for sets with handles are often into 3 digits and that is crazy! Now that Lyman has totally dropped the 310 line who knows where it will go.

Boolit Grand Master
    It’s what I think of as the “Internet Effect.” Things people have never heard of or care nothing for hit the interest of the digital public and suddenly they’re popular and in demand. Sellers remember having one or two of whatever is getting hot, drag it out, and put a blue sky price on it. Others see that, say “I’ve got one of those and if he’s getting $X for his I ought to be able to get at least $Y for mine!” And so it goes. Now Lyman is the latest Kardashian!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Kinda of disheartening to people being that greedy. A few on here sold items to me to help build my collection, I in turn sold my extras to people who needed them for a little more than shipping. Dan, I see the seller you are referring to on eBay, opportunistic does even come close to describing it.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    What brothers me is when the seller sells anything that has screws you need to buy those separately at an inflated price.

Boolit Grand Master

With the 310 Shop closed, there is a captive market.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    With the 310 Shop closed, there is a captive market.
    ?????When did the 310 Shop close?????

Boolit Master

I don't believe it is closed - Probably a mistaken post
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to admit I've had to do a search for 310 reloading tool. I guess to each his own, I can understand "nostalgic" value of such tool but fail to see any other appeal. For "maximum portability" or minimalistic setup there are better options, like hand press sold by one of the members here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    I have to admit I've had to do a search for 310 reloading tool. I guess to each his own, I can understand "nostalgic" value of such tool but fail to see any other appeal. For "maximum portability" or minimalistic setup there are better options, like hand press sold by one of the members here.
    I own both the hand press (an older one by HDS) as well as several 310s (along with an embarrassing number of other loading tools) and for many purposes as well as sheer portability, the 310 wins. BUUUTTT, if I had to pick one system for all uses, I would wholeheartedly agree with your choice of the hand press... in fact, mine stays packed in its very own “go bag” all the time, ready to go on a moment’s notice.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy

I just loaded up about 20 rounds of 45-70 on a lee hand press...shot 5-6..then reloaded them on a 310.
    They will not do everything, but are more useful than many think. Ive been using them pretty hard the last year or so, and they are more convenient to use for a few boxes of a given caliber than cranking up the 550. Plus I can putter with brass whilst I watch a western...

The Lee hand press is more versatile, but I still want a 310 for my core Calibers...
    Last edited by Pressman; 08-11-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Boolit Man
    The 310 shop is still open he is just not doing any custom orders right now because he is swamped since Lyman quit making them

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    I just loaded up about 20 rounds of 45-70 on a lee hand press...shot 5-6..then reloaded them on a 310.
    They will not do everything, but are more useful than many think. Ive been using them pretty hard the last year or so, and they are more convenient to use for a few boxes of a given caliber than cranking up the 550. Plus I can putter with brass whilst I watch a western...

The Lee hand press is more versatile, but I still want a 310 for my core Calibers...
    Maine1,

Your experiences pretty much mirror mine. If I am loading for a single gun that doesn’t make the brass expand in strange ways, neck sizing is sufficient or even preferable so the 310 really shines for doing my reloading with minimal equipment to haul around.

OTOH, if FL sizing is required a press is about a necessity. If I’m not at home with my bench press, a hand press is definitely the way to go. I personally use an old HDS press, but truth to tell just about any of them will do a good job, and the Lee is certainly affordable and functional.

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacecars View Post
    The 310 shop is still open he is just not doing any custom orders right now because he is swamped since Lyman quit making them

This is indeed good news. I’m guessing it will take him a while to wade through all the orders from folks who have discovered they missed their chance with Lyman and get caught up with the new demand. Maybe then he will be able to start reintroducing some of the less common calibers. A strong point about the 310 design is that the neck sizing and the style of seating, etc makes it possible for one set of dies to be used for different cartridges with the same bullet (and neck) diameter.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    And, they can be very accurate.
    With condom bullets, which I use only rarely, I've fired two 5 shot groups at 100 yards that were in the 0.6 inch range.
    This was in a BSA .222 and an elderly steel 310 tool.
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.

Lyman made a full length size die to go along with the 310 tool. They called it a resizer die. It was a die and punch. You drove the case it the die, then used the punch to drive it out. Like Lee's Reloader kits.
    The 30-30 set up I bought came with one. It also came with a .312 cast boolit size die, The die went in the handles, drop in the boolit, drop in punch , close handles.
    It's like Lee's push trough size die, but fits the 310 tool.
    Hmmn Don't suppose Lee got his ideas on those two from Lyman do you.
    You can still find them now and again. I've seen a lot of the cast boolit size dies on Ebay. The resizer dies come up less often. I think Lee sells just the body of there tool, might get one to go along with your 310 set.
    Leo

The word "greedy" is hardly applicable when someone is selling a totally discretionary item, such as reloading tools. You don't need it, you want it, and it's your choice whether or not to pay whatever the seller is asking for it.
    Value is relative to desire and ability to pay the cost. Your perception of overpriced is another man's bargain.

Boolit Grand Master

310 stuff was never "affordable" !
    Many years ago when I was looking to put together a portable reloading kit I priced 310 stuff , it was out of my reach then , I never could understand why it was so expensive ....
    So I went the Lee Hand Press route . I'm glad I did because the prices for used stuff is just insanely expensive now that it's out of production....the 310 isn't that great .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    310 stuff was never "affordable" !
    Many years ago when I was looking to put together a portable reloading kit I priced 310 stuff , it was out of my reach then , I never could understand why it was so expensive ....
    So I went the Lee Hand Press route . I'm glad I did because the prices for used stuff is just insanely expensive now that it's out of production....the 310 isn't that great .
    Gary
    How many years are we talking about here? As “recently” as twenty years ago I was getting complete sets (handles and dies in box) in the $20-30 range for all but the hardest to find oddball calibers. As recently as ten years ago I was still finding $10 die sets. Even as a public school teacher (now retired) that seemed affordable to me???

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I've been in the reloading game since 1965. Including guns, scopes, collecting and hobby gunsmithing and fishing and scuba and photography; I've never noticed prices of anything going anywhere but up. ???

As Woodsroad (#16) says, the owner can set prices anywhere he wishes but it's buyers who set the value. No one can rip me off because I'm the only one who decides if it's worth the asking price to me.
    Last edited by 1hole; 09-02-2019 at 04:03 PM.

I must admit, the 310 has always intrigued me. My earliest influence in handgun shooting being Skeeter Skelton, is what probably stirred my interest more than anything.

Like many things from yesteryear, I think the nostalgia factor attracts a lot of people to some things. Which is great for those who want them badly enough and have the money to spend.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.