WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: over powder wads

Boolit Bub

over powder wads

I have been looking for heavy cardboard to make wads. i am having a fit trying to find a thick enough card stock. Or are y'all using corrugated cardboard?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use the corrugated stuff. I also really like the boxes that cereal comes in the large boxes like from Costco or bj's work pretty good.

Boolit Master

Depends on the gun, I have cut a lot from card stock like beer or soft drink 6 pack carriers. Poster board works. I also cut corrigated and soak in bees wax/olive oil for lube. Still 99% come from venders like Mikes wads in Nivina IN. When you shoot several matches a day its more fun shooting than cutting wads.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Have you thought of trying cork? You can buy sheets in just about any thickness up to an inch. I have read of people swearing on their performance. Maybe hit up your local hobby shop or craft store?

I use cereal box or fruit roll up box cardboard, i have a 3/8ths inch hole punch and use them in my .36 cal cap and ball revolvers. What gun are you making the wads for?

Boolit Bub
    20 gauge trade gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Just get a BisQuick box and a 5/8 wad punch, and make as many as you need.
    You can also use the paper egg cartons, if you want a thicker wad, soak in Lundmark
    liquid paste wax and let dry. I've used both for the last 35 years, works great.

Boolit Master
    For Thicker Wads, I would just use what cardboard I had like Cereal boxes cut into strips, then Glued together to the thickness I wanted with a Glue Stick.
    Then used a hole punch or a correct size piece of Tubing sharpened to make a disc cutter.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    You might try taking some good corrugated box material and heat up some lube of beeswax and crisco or olive oil and using a paint brush lay on some good coats on both side of the box material and then cutting out the disc's after the lube has dried. I'd think it would be easier than dunking all those disc's one by one.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Go to Walmart and get a sheet of poster board.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I got a friend who swears by Bicycle playing cards...they are really strong but also have a coating that makes them water/oil proof to prevent powder contamination.

Boolit Buddy
    For my Parker Hale Volunteer rifle, I use wads punched from milk and juice cartons-- it's paper, but wp-coated on both sides. I've also tried various thicknesses of cork bought on rolls from hobby-type stores, but I've had better accuracy with single thickness milk carton wads.

Boolit Master
    I went to a store that sells gasket and seal materials. I bought 2 yards (their minimum) of .030 and 2 yards of .060 thickness gasket material or vegetable fiber material that usually for making intake manifold gaskets when the premade ones are no longer available. I also bought a wad punch for 45 caliber wads and they work fine for my 44 caliber revolvers and45 caliber slug guns. I ran the punch on a rainy day here in southern CA until my arm gave out after cutting the material into strips just a tad wider than the diameter of the wads. I figure I have several thousand of both thickness wads and they sure work fine!
    John

Boolit Bub
    Kids drink fair amount of soda wonder if the card board from the 12 pack boxes would work.

Banned
    The Dollar Tree has posterboard

I plan on using 1/8 rigid felt saturated with Gatafeo's 2 parts paraffin, 2 parts lard/lanolin/Crisco 1 part beeswax)

remove excess moisture

then cut with HF Hollow punch 6 pc set for use with a power drill or drill press

Boolit Buddy
    I use wads from O'reallys made from 1/8 inch cork gasket . they work great for my .44 cap and ball and my .36 C&B, I use a 3/8 inch plunch for the .36 but i'll go to a 380 ball the next time I pour balls.). I just put a dab of grease on top of the wad and then the ball. I've shot my .44(using a .458 ball) over 70 shots with out cleaning the barrel. my favorite pistol is a 1860 full fluted cylinder and its quite accurate. I shoot goex and 777 in it.(the 777 is easier to clean up and gives a little more punch.) and it shoots to point of aim at 10 yards.(steel plates don't you know).

Boolit Grand Master

If your over powder wad is too thin just use two. I cut mine from old tablet backers as we used a lot of them at the Court House.

Mr.texasgunnut...the cardboard soda boxes are made from will do perfect...i think theyre basically the same as cereal box cardboard. Try it out...it might be what youre looking for

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    If your over powder wad is too thin just use two. I cut mine from old tablet backers as we used a lot of them at the Court House.
    When I was working, the computer room got cartons of paper and each one had 2 cardboard sheets in it, about the thickness of tablet backing....maybe .030".
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Arms Co.

Veggie fiber wads $20 per 1000. Takes a long time to use them up

They also have shotgun wads of various sizes.

I used to punch my own but this is much less work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast