Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Model 1882 Headless Shell Extractor saves the day for a .44-40!

Boolit Buddy

Model 1882 Headless Shell Extractor saves the day for a .44-40!

I've had an antique Marlin Model 1894 rifle chambered in .44-40, gorgeous mint bore, in my collection for 25+ years. Never fired it, just a safe queen. I dug it out a few weeks ago, went to chamber a cartridge, and found it wouldn't take a properly dimensioned cartridge. I was imagining that some PO had screwed with the chamber, maybe set it back (though all work and markings appeared factory.) I figured it was a gunsmithing project that I'd address sometime in the future. One evening I awoke from a night's sleep and it dawned on me that there might be a separated case neck stuck in the chamber. This is not unknown to happen, especially since .44-40 brass is quite thin compared to some other cartridges. A close inspection with a small dental mirror and light confirmed that, indeed, there was a brass cylinder lining the front half of the chamber.

Fast forward, after trying tight fitting chamber brushes and a few other techniques, I had nearly resigned myself to doing a chamber cast and pushing the brass out that way. Then I remembered that I had a Model 1888 Trapdoor Springfield with the issue tools in the butt trap. I wondered if the 1882 headless shell tool would do the trick. It was too large to go through the bore (and made for 3-groove Springfield rifling anyhow), but, after removing the breechblock, it could be inserted in the chamber far enough to grab the stubborn brass. I pressed it in, gave a few light taps from the muzzle with a cleaning rod, and out popped the extractor, with the brass sleeve firmly attached! Mission accomplished!

Moral of the story? (Almost) right tool for the right job. (And those old boys at Springfield designed a very useful tool!)

Here's the item in question: https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/mo...package-894922
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Grand Master

That is a good read. I rejoice with you ! That would be one piece of brass I would sit on a shelf to be a reminder to keep trying.

On one occasion was out with our 1907 model 1892 in 44 WCF. A fellow missionary down here was for the first time shooting it and as I instructed him "work the lever like a man". He fired several rounds just fine then when he tried to chamber the next it jammed up short. He stopped and asked "what should I do?" I said eject it... He did and out came the unfired round stuck inside the front 2/3 of the previous brass that had failed just above the head area.
    Found the ruptured head laying with the other fired cases. Chambered the next round and continued shooting. Later I fired that "ruptured case puller" and it shot just fine.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.