Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Problem with Cabela's/Capital One

Boolit Master

Problem with Cabela's/Capital One

For several years I've been using the GPS overlay maps and software from onX Maps for varmint hunting in New Mexico. Last year they automatically renewed the subscription on my Cabela's "World's Foremost Bank" credit card. That was OK. Since then we have bought a house in Texas and I will no longer be varmint hunting in New Mexico. With the purchase of Cabela's by Bass Pro, Bass Pro changed the Cabela's card from a World's Foremost Bank Visa card to a Capital One MasterCard. Yesterday I got a receipt from onX Maps for a renewal charge to my new Cabela's/Capital One card. Problem is, I have never given the Capital One card information to onX Maps.

I have been unhappy with the card service and website for paying the bill since Bass Pro took over and issued the Capital One card. I was told in a Cabela's store that I was not alone. I'm even more unhappy that somewhere in the chain, either Cabela's/Bass Pro, Capital One or MasterCard had to have provided the vendor with the new credit card number. I suppose this was "as a service to me." I have been on the phone with all three and of course they all say it wasn't them that provided the updated information. The Cabela's representative did admit that updated information was sometimes provided to vendors for automatic billing but he said that it would have had to come from Capital One. Capital One says it wan't them; only Cabela's could give that info to the vendor. MasterCard claims they don't have the information to give out in the first place (yet they were able to confirm my identity against the credit card number).

Just had to share this. My divorce from this credit card is coming fast.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Can't you contest the charge as unauthorized ?

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm not sure what's happening here. Even though you changed cards, the agreement you had for a map renewel is still active. If you didn't cancel the subscription/renewel you had, why do you think you don't owe the money? If you buy something and have the payment charged to your credit card, you're still on the hook for paying for it if you change cards. The card is just the medium for paying for what you bought.

Boolit Master

Your old account is still there and active. Any charges to the cabelas Visa number will still go through even though you've already changed cards and carry the Mastercard. I know, been there, too.

Boolit Master

And onX maps will refund you the subscription if it is recently been renewed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I guess I'm not sure what's happening here. Even though you changed cards, the agreement you had for a map renewel is still active. If you didn't cancel the subscription/renewel you had, why do you think you don't owe the money? If you buy something and have the payment charged to your credit card, you're still on the hook for paying for it if you change cards. The card is just the medium for paying for what you bought.
    I didn't change cards. This is something that was forced upon Cabela's card holders by Bass Pro. To me that is a significant point. It was software; not the map. The important point is that the card on which I made the initial purchase was no longer valid. I'm not actually sure I requested the software. All I intended to purchase was the map which was an upgrade to a map I purchased several years before. It does not require recurring payments. Updates on that map were free until they changed their system. I have no problem with paying what I legitimately owe. This bill was for the future 12 months so I have no issue with cancelling.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Your old account is still there and active. Any charges to the cabelas Visa number will still go through even though you've already changed cards and carry the Mastercard. I know, been there, too.
    That is a reasonable explanation that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    And onX maps will refund you the subscription if it is recently been renewed.
    They agreed to cancel the subscription and refund the payment for the coming 12 month period since I can't use it in the future.

Update from onX Maps:

This is how our payment vendor Stripe describes the card update process:

Saved payment method details can continue to work even if the physical card has been replaced by the issuing bank. Stripe works with card networks and automatically attempts to update saved card details whenever a customer receives a new card (e.g., replacing an expired card or one that was reported lost or stolen). This allows your customers to continue using your service without interruption and reduces the need for you to collect new card details whenever a card is replaced.
    Automatic card updates requires card issuers to participate with the network and provide this information. It is widely supported in the United States, allowing Stripe to automatically update most American Express, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover cards issued there. International support varies from country to country. It is not possible to identify which cards can be automatically updated.

My understanding is that this is a common practice for card issuers and I've seen it very frequently with the Cabela's Bass Pro merger card changes. It may be the person you spoke with at Master Card did not understand the update? Stripe would need their consent and participation in the program to make this happen.

Thank you,
    • onX Support

This is a "service" I really did not anticipate, expect or want but it is between the retailers and the card companies/banks. I expected that when Bass Pro cancelled the previous card, it was dead. Now I know that is not the case. The affected consumer is not kept in the loop. I can see some huge flaws in it if a card has been compromised which could cause extra footwork for the consumer/card holder.

Getting an explanation has not helped my attitude toward Cabela's/Capital One.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I kind of understand your problem... when they changed over they claimed to have sent me a new card and kept asking that I activate it, I kept saying I did not get a card. Finally they cancelled the old card and said the new one was in the mail. A week later I got the new card, went to activate it and found that it was activated BEFORE they sent it off. A very slipshod arrangement. I used up my Cabela's points and dropped the card.

Boolit Master

Yeah, mine arrived activated when it arrived as well. No security issues with that plan!

Wow, activated in the mail? I use debit cards only and credit union sent me a new card last month. I had to call their service number to activate. AS IT SHOULD BE.
    Cabelas is only a name now. They are ALL Bass Pro which is a crappy organization. I just don't go there any more. Such a shame. I've been screwed by buying one of their tractors just before they sold out.
    Wondered why I was getting a great deal. Warranty of two year front to back and 5 years for engine and tranny lasted just one year. Second year I got some parts but ZERO service. Oh well.
    For you that have any of their boats, good luck!

I drop Cabelas card after I found out the cap one took over it and for what started to show up for the problems with Cap. one. I glad I did .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Employees at the Cabela's near Houston told me that all inventory is dictated by Bass Pro and shipped whether it is appropriate for that store or not. The store is close to Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, both prime saltwater fishing areas. Their basic tackle inventory did not reflect their location. No heavy leader material was on the shelves. The employees said they got far more inventory than they needed but in small quantities of a huge variety, displacing things like fishing hooks that people were actually buying. I ended up having to go to Academy Sports to get the tackle I wanted for two new rod/reel combos.

The change reminds me of when a Northern company, Boat US came to Houston. They selected the location of their retail store by the zip codes of existing mail order customers rather than looking at a map and seeing where the water was. They put the store in about 35 miles from the marinas where the boats were. They ended up opening a second store close to the marinas a few years later. They failed to do market research to determine when to have their stores stocked for the spring boating/sailing season which starts in February on the Gulf Coast. They were accustomed to people launching their boats in April-May from winter storage up north. There is no "winter storage" on the Gulf Coast.

I see Bass Pro functioning about as well as Boat US did but with less hope for corrections. I will be surprised if the League City location lasts long under Bass Pro influence.

I had the exact same problem with Adobe for a charge of over $1000. I am at the 2nd dispute level now. I also let them know I was canceling as soon as this was resolved and reporting the to the Attorney Generals office. I have had a Cabela's black card for over a decade.