RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Bisley 44 special flat top

Boolit Master

Bisley 44 special flat top

Well taking the plunge just ordered a SS 45/8 bisley 44 special. Only 44 special I have had was a CA bull dog many years ago and never had a Ruger Bisley about the only Ruger SA I have missed. Many here seem to like the Bisley and the special so looking forward to trying out a modern old style revolver.
    Now gotta wait for gun and cases to get here.

Moderator Emeritus

I am ever so happy for you! I had a CA Bulldog, and was never thrilled with its action. Traded for a S&W 696-1... not a "bad" little .44 S&W Special -- but, again, I surely would've purchased the Ruger. Mine sports a 3" barrel, and is DA. I've handles a New Vaquero Montado .357, and if your Bisley is anything like this -- I'm again ever so happy for you! Where I reside shops are too few and too far, and pretty much none will take/make special orders without added fees to make it, basically, not worthwhile.
    ENJOY!!!
    geo

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=georgerkahn;4681124]I am ever so happy for you! I had a CA Bulldog, and was never thrilled with its action. Traded for a S&W 696-1... not a "bad" little .44 S&W Special -- but, again, I surely would've purchased the Ruger. Mine sports a 3" barrel, and is DA. I've handles a New Vaquero Montado .357, and if your Bisley is anything like this -- I'm again ever so happy for you! Where I reside shops are too few and too far, and pretty much none will take/make special orders without added fees to make it, basically, not worthwhile.
    ENJOY!!!

I would really like to have a 696 to ,that’s my problem I likum all.

Boolit Grand Master

Onelight;
    I have a RugerSS .44 Special Flattop with 4 5/8" barrel as well as a Blued 5.5" barrel. They both have plow handle grips. I put my favorite grips (Pachmayr) on the blued gun and love that combination. I left the SS "as issued" for compact holster carry.

I had a trigger job done on both and they both shoot extremely well. My "standard" load is Skeeter's favorite (7.5 grs. of Unique behind a H&G #503 (250 gr. Keith). This gives me about 950 fps and makes a DANDY field load.

I also have the Group Buy 200 gr full wad cutter in .44. Using 5.0 grs. of Red Dot gives just under 900 fps. and 4.0 grs. of Red Dot gives and excellent target load.

The Ruger Flattops are REALLY good concepts!

I will be willing to bet that you are going to be one happy feller when you take those to the range OR the field!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Dale have you tried red dot (I like red dot) with the Keith bullet , I have the Keith bullet in a four cavity Lyman version it is 268 grains out of WW and lubed shoots really good in my magnums.
    I also have a good supply of 2400 and BE-86 , The BE-86 should work well in the Unique power range, but you never know.
    I have some 240 grain Berry’s plated I will run through before I go to cast to kinda break it in a bit. It may be my imagination but I feel it smooths the bore.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of the Lipsey Bisley flattops with a 5.5" barrel. I generally shoot Skeeters load because it is very accurate in my gun and switch to Elmer's load for hunting hogs.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Vendor Sponsor

It wouldn't do me any good to get one of these medium frame 44 Specials, I would end up loading it like every other Ruger I get, I get the widest meplat I can find, I launch them at 1100 - 1200 fps, then call it good and regulate the sights for that load and I don't really shoot anything else after I arrive at "the" combo for that gun.

I already have a 5 1/2" New Vaquero that has a 45 Schofield cylinder fitted to it, it's basically a 45 Special.. A member here swapped me a pair of those Lipsey's white grips, they are thin and smooth and have the gunfighter profile which is perfect for this gun. It isn't Lipsey's and it isn't 44 Special but hey, it's close enuf!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Onelight, you'll be well pleased with that Bisley FT .44 Spec.. I waited until about 4 years ago to get my 1st. ,44 spec.: a Lipsey Bisley 5.5 bbl.. That followed with a GP100 SS 3" 5 shot & ultimately a 5" blued version of the GP100 (the caliber is addictive). I'm ashamed to say I've neglected my .45 Colts because of those guns.

I load the SAECO #441, Lyman 428421, H&G #45 with Unique, HP38 & Red Dot. My favorite load is the Arsenal #43-210A with 5.0 to 5.5 of WST...…..it's not a powerhouse, but it's fun to shoot.

Henry

Boolit Master
    DougGuy my 45 convertible flat top has the white grips at this point they are the best feeling grips of any of my Ruger SA guns my shooting buddies all hate um they like the rubber grips with the filler behind the trigger guard.
    I hope I like the Bisley grip it is very different than what I am used to.
    OldHenry I had a tough time choosing I liked all the models but prefer 4 to 5” barrels
    I only found 1 new blued 5” and it was over 700.00 on line. I like the looks of blued better but prefer stainless for a lot of shooting.
    Last edited by onelight; 07-07-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    Onelight, the 44spl Flat Tops are some of the best guns built by Ruger. They are quite accurate and have plenty of power when you load them up a little bit.
    I hope you have many great days of shooting with this sixgun!
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master

onelight;
    Red Dot works with the appropriate load and bullet. However, the loads I listed are my most often shot.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Cases springs and 200 plated bullets showed up and I thought I had 4 or 500 44 Lyman Keith Boolits but haven’t found them yet, may have to fire up the lead pot.
    Bisley has not made it yet .........impatiently waiting.
    Can’t belive I am so excited about this Ruger..........impatiently waiting.
    I am one of those guys that said I have a 44 mag why would I want a special.
    Now can’t wait.........well don’t have any choice ......impatiently waiting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85BA7EF0-C030-46E1-9E7F-EFB726479463.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	245034

Vendor Sponsor

onelight what are you sizing to? If it's .431" and they fit the throats with light drag you are golden. If they won't go, time to make it so they will!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

A single action is supposed to roll in the hand, putting big rubber grips on makes that hard to happen.
    My Flattops grip felt a bit small with the thin faux Ivory grips, now at least one of them has some thicker grips, which feel much better to me. The grip frame being a bit short doesn't bother me now with a bit more thickness.
    Chig's grips, Black Walnut:

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    onelight what are you sizing to? If it's .431" and they fit the throats with light drag you are golden. If they won't go, time to make it so they will!
    I will check it out , you may be hearing from me.
    Thanks