RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Case Trimmers do you all like and recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    As mentioned, just get some 360 DW cases. Starline has them and they are a bit cheaper and more available than 357 Max. Gp
    I did get 100 brand new, unprimed .357 Max Cartridge Cases, and they are sitting right here next to my Computer.

I can ( fine tooth, metal cutting ) Band Saw them to a fairly close length, then, use a Case Trimmer for the final finesse to have them be "just right" and uniform for the perfect length.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    If you’d like a dozen to play with send me your address.
    Very nice of you to offer Jim!

Thank you!

I think I am in good shape though with the 100 .357 Maximum shells I have gotten.

Getting a nice Case Trimmer will also really add something special to my other occasional re-Loading for Hand Gun, so, it's a "Win Win".

I have been annoyed with how small Case Length variations occasion irregular Crimp results for .44 Special and .38 ACP, so having a nice Case Trimmer will correct all that and make for a quality of result I can be very happy with Crimp uniformity-wise in my Loading.

I trim brass on anything that gets a roll crimp, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 mag, 30-30. I get by with not trimming on 45 auto thus far.

Boolit Master
    I bought my first Forster trimmer in 1975 and it has seen long hard use including shortening hundreds of 30-06 cases to 8X57 and 7.65 Mauser. Each case is shortened about .300 and 100 cases mean you turn 30 inches of brass into shavings. My original cutter is still sharp with this heavy duty use.
    I used 5/16"-24 fine thread carburetor nuts and a nut driver to power my trimmer with a drill motor to use for mass material removal.

I have 4 other Forsters that I bought used for about $25 each. They are set up with neck turners and other applications.
    I also have 5 Wilson trimmers from 1950s models to a 50 BMG version. They are not used much because of the greater flexibility the Forster tools that I own.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a lot to trim! I probably would use a trim die to get close and then any other conventional trimmer would work.

Boolit Master
    I've got a collet holder that I use in the milling machine with a counterbore set up with the right diameter pilot. It works very quickly and is very accurate. The holder has a quick release lever, so is simple and quick. Uses standard 5C collets and I buy emergency collets and cut them to the proper size.
    I realize this setup is not for everyone, but Forster has a setup for the drill press that works the same way. It's just a little more fussy to set up the length, but works very well. With either setup, you can remove a lot of material very quickly, but is still accurate and repeatable.

I have the Lyman and a Forster. I've used the Lyman for 20 years or so and the oilite bushing for the cutter shaft needs to be replaced. $4.75 from Fastenal, so not a huge investment to remove the wobble that took thousands of cases with a heavy drill hanging off of the end to make happen. If you do add a drill, build up a platform so that the weight of it isn't hanging off of the trimmer. You can use a couple washers, deep well sockets and nuts/bolts to remove the install the new bushing when/if ever needed. Forster is nice, but not as heavily built as the lyman. Probably only reamed/trimmed 3-4 thousand cases with it so far and it seems to be holding up well. Wish they would of used large head allen type machine screws to attach the barrels to the base on it though as they occasionally loosen up and are a PITA to get at with a screwdriver when the trimmer is mounted. Think I'll eventually loctite the screws with medium strength loctite.

Boolit Master
    I'm a cheapskate and lazy ,just use the Lee ones ,no measuring inset correct pilot spin in drill job done.

Thumbs up

I have 3 Forster bench mounted trimmers (2 different lengths of bases plus one set up specifically in .17 calibre) plus I bought their drill press mounted power trimmer since I already had lots of collets and pilots to fit my existing Forster trimmers. I recently shortened a bunch of .303 British cases to re-form and then fire-form them into .40-50 Sharps Straight and the drill press trimmer shortened the parent cases quickly and easily. Just my 2 cents worth ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I somehow got started with a Forster. Others have come and gone since 1962 or there abouts but the Forster has stayed and multiplied. I have 7 or 8 of them because I don't like adjusting anything and I load a lot of ammo of same caliber for 2 or more different guns with different length requirements. With a dirlll motor, you can shorten a hundred .30 carbine to .32 ACP length before you can find your trim die.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I bought my first Forster trimmer in 1975 and it has seen long hard use including shortening hundreds of 30-06 cases to 8X57 and 7.65 Mauser. Each case is shortened about .300 and 100 cases mean you turn 30 inches of brass into shavings. My original cutter is still sharp with this heavy duty use.
    I used 5/16"-24 fine thread carburetor nuts and a nut driver to power my trimmer with a drill motor to use for mass material removal.

I have 4 other Forsters that I bought used for about $25 each. They are set up with neck turners and other applications.
    I also have 5 Wilson trimmers from 1950s models to a 50 BMG version. They are not used much because of the greater flexibility the Forster tools that I own.
    Wow!

Can you tell me how the 'Forster' Case Trimmers are more versatile or have advantage over the 'Wilson' ones?

Once I get one, I will be using it for anything and everything I load, so, the more I can understand going in, the better!

Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    I've got a collet holder that I use in the milling machine with a counterbore set up with the right diameter pilot. It works very quickly and is very accurate. The holder has a quick release lever, so is simple and quick. Uses standard 5C collets and I buy emergency collets and cut them to the proper size.
    I realize this setup is not for everyone, but Forster has a setup for the drill press that works the same way. It's just a little more fussy to set up the length, but works very well. With either setup, you can remove a lot of material very quickly, but is still accurate and repeatable.
    I was earlier thinking I could use a nice sharp Spot Surfacer with a suitable Pilot, in my Drill Press.

That would work well, and be easy, even if not as precise as the Wilson set up with the Micrometer end.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    This looks like such a nice Care Trimmer..!

Watching the Video, it does inspire me to imagine how nice uniform Cases might be, when I am re-Loading.

Differences in length do effect Crimp of course and I have felt annoyed with this.

So, having a Case Trimmer for preparing Cartridge Brass for the old S & W New Model 3's chambering, might just be a blessing in general for anything else anyway!

Thanks!
    If you are trying to reduce .38 Special to .38 S&W, you will be unhappy with the results. The cases will bulge like crazy as .38 S&W is bigger.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Lee makes a case trimmer thing for the drill press if I'm not mistaken, ain't used any of their trimmer items yet myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    If you are trying to reduce .38 Special to .38 S&W, you will be unhappy with the results. The cases will bulge like crazy as .38 S&W is bigger.
    No...but close! Lol...

I need to shorten .357 Maximum Cases to be about 1/8th of an inch Shorter.

These for use in an S & W New Model 3 chambering the original "38/44" Cartridge, which was/is essentially a long version of the 38 S & W Cartridge, where the Cartridge Brass is the full length of the Cylinder, and the .361 Bullets are inside the case entirely.

Since I can not so far find any original .38/44 empty Brass, I have elected to go with the .357 Maximun, which yes, is a little smaller, or if about .004 smaller in diameter, and I expect it will Fire Form to puff out a little bit.

Here is an image showing some original .38/44 Cartridges, still loaded -

OAL is about 1.465 Inches for the examples shown -

I have about 46 Rounds of original Ammunition but I do not want to fire these and shoot them up, so, I have been looking for empty Brass, and it may be who knows how long before I find any, so, I decided to go with the .357 Maximum Cases, and to shorten them, use an expander die for them accept .361 Bullets, and, give it go from there.
    Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 07-07-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Somewhere out there is someone with a Cigar Box full of the empty, old, not yet de-primed, original .38/44 Brass...and they have no use for them whatever...someone gave them to them years ago.

How do I find that person?

Lol...

Demeter’s_Workshop
    I make jigs on the 3d printer to cut more than 0.050 off any cases. its faster. then finish or square up on the lyman.

I use this one

LEE PRECISION 90670, Deluxe Power Quick Trim Case Trimmer LEE PRECISION 90670, Deluxe Power Quick Trim Case Trimmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHZHS0Q..._.OKiDb7NGAHPG

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For straight wall brass I'd use my RCBS with power adapter, makes any trimming a shorter time, I've used it for necked brass too(actually never needed to trim the straight wall yet...)
    But lately I've turned to the Little Crow Gun Works, "World's Finest Trimmer" for the necked brass, very accurate and very fast, especially when turning several hundred at a time.
    I did use the Lee setups in the beginning, but turned to the RCBS when I wanted better consistency in 308 etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Another fan of the Forster trimmer here. I have the power adapter for mine and use the Dewalt cordless screwdriver in the link below. It's variable speed and makes quick work of what could be a monotonous job. It slips on and off the adapter easily. The driver is gyroscopic and varies the speed and direction by simply turning your wrist slightly. It's got plenty of power to do hundreds of cases on one charge. Love it!

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF682...35915698&psc=1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast