Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Case Trimmers do you all like and recommend?

What Case Trimmers do you all like and recommend?

I need to trim down a bunch of .357 Maximum so they will be not quite 1/8th of an inch shorter.

I have never done any Case Trimming before, and looking on-line, there are so many different Case Trimmers out there, most looking to be a lot more expensive than they need to be, and I was having trouble deciding which one to get.

A used one would be fine, but, similarly, I just do not know anything about any of them to be able to decide which make and model I ought to get.

Any suggestions?

Moderator Emeritus

Me? I have both a Redding and Lyman little lathe type trimmers which have collected dust here for years. I "discovered" the Wilson, have case holders for each of the 30 calibers I load, and never cease to be impressed with its repeatability. A tapered sleeve is what holds and supports you case, so each and every trimming comes out the same. Perhaps my own ineptness, but I could never get this repeatability from the trimmers employing collets on case head to hold them. I just Googled and found a YouTube on it -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxsNP_5eDVg -- haven't watched it, but... I believe Wilson is not the only maker of this type trimmer -- maybe Forster, too?
    Regardless... it's all I use. If you roll crimp 100 or so cases in a loading session, using bullets you put a cannelure on, and see their gorgeous identical appearance -- imho, this tool's beauty speaks for itself.
    geo

I have a lyman universal. It ain’t bad.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

C&H and Wilson. I like the C&H a little better because it can use the same case holders as Wilson and is quite a bit cheaper. Either will get the job done and very nicely at that. I have and use both. james

Boolit Master
    I have used a Forster case trimmer for 25 or 30 years and have always found it to be easy to use with very repeatable case dimensions when finished. Until recently. When I purchased a used Blue Pacific trimmer to go with my collection of antique Pacific reloading tools for $4.00 on our favorite reloading tool purchasing site. And also discovered that the Forster trimmer and the Pacific trimmer use the same pilots. In fact, it looks like they are all made by the same company. And this $4.00 trimmer does just as good a trimming job as the Forster plus the Pacific uses standard Pacific/Hornady shell holders to mount the cases.

I've had a Hornady since the early 80's.
    It does a good job, takes regular shell holders, and if you're careful,
    you can re-sharpen the cutter head after a few thousand cases have been trimmed.
    Also, the little hand crank handle comes off so you can put a drill on the shaft.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman universal is probably a good place to start if your just getting into it, the universal chuck takes most of the normal case sizes and the adjustments are fairly straight forward. A good reliable go to, but watch out for used ones the shaft gets wobbly and the cuts can be a little off. I have one on the shelf for odd jobs, and I have the accessory kit for cutting primer pockets if I want but have not sprung for the carbide cutter yet.

Next up are the Forster or RCBS collet type, a bit of a learning curve to set up but once set up are consistent. Probably the most used out there and plenty on the secondary market. I have gathered a Forster for each rifle caliber I shoot. Plenty of additional accessories, slightly more for the Forster.

The Wilson is up towards the top of the list for precision and consistency. I have one but haven’t been able to use it since it did not come with a base system and I don’t have a vice on my loading bench. My buddy has several set up for each of his rifle calibers and swears by their consistency.

Hope this helps. There are plenty more out there and others will likely chime in with other recommendations.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I like the hornady trimmer but you have to buy there shell holders. And it wouldn't do all calibers ( 25acp ). The shell holders and pilots cost more than the trimmer. But it does an excellent job.

Boolit Buddy
    Have never used anything but LEE trimmers. They have always worked great. A little tedious, maybe. But they work and are cheap.

Boolit Master
    You gotta be kidding....... I hate trimming. But I have an RCBS that I've used for years. I finally had to request a new cutting head as I got to the point where I couldn't trim .30 Cal cases anymore. What a difference between the new one and the old one!

But that still doesn't make me like trimming any more!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I like the hornady trimmer but you have to buy there shell holders. And it wouldn't do all calibers ( 25acp ). The shell holders and pilots cost more than the trimmer. But it does an excellent job.
    You are the first person I have ever heard of that regularly trims 25 ACP brass. What do you do to your 25 ACP brass to make it need trimming? As for using only Hornady shell holders in the Hornady/Pacific case trimmers, the hole in the center of the Hornady shell holders is large enough in diameter to fit over the shell clamping mandrel that screws up tight to the bottom of the casing through the shell holder. And all of the other makes of shell holders are just a hair small to fit over this mandrel. But I have drilled out several that I had already after purchasing a Pacific/Hornady case trimmer. Some makes are pretty hard though.
    Last edited by DonMountain; 07-06-2019 at 04:54 PM.

1/8" is a lot to try and trim with a lathe trimmer. If I had a bunch to do I'd be looking for a file trim die and use a hacksaw to get them close and finish with a lathe trimmer. However if your set on just getting a lathe trimmer and bearing through it, I suggest the Lyman universal with power attachment and carbide cutter. That's what I use, but with the manual crank. I'd like to pick up the power attachment at some point. When I've trimmed .010 it was tough. I trimmed a 44 mag case down to 44 Russian to make one for my collection and I can't imagine doing any quantity of cases that much.

Boolit Master
    If your application can tolerate the brass being a hair shorter you could buy 360DW brass and forget the trimming.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    You are the first person I have ever heard of that regularly trims 25 ACP brass. What do you do to your 25 ACP brass to make it need trimming? As for using only Hornady shell holders in the Hornady/Pacific case trimmers, the hole in the center of the Hornady shell holders is large enough in diameter to fit over the shell clamping mandrel that screws up tight to the bottom of the casing through the shell holder. And all of the other makes of shell holders are just a hair small to fit over this mandrel. But I have drilled out several that I had already after purchasing a Pacific/Hornady case trimmer. Some makes are pretty hard though.
    Some of the once fired and some of the new brass i buy comes over the trim length. And i just like to have everything the same. If the shaft on the trimmer were smaller so other shell holders would work then i could trim them. Didn't find out it wouldn't work after i bought the trimmer, shell holder and pilot. Ended up making a fixture and doing a little back yard hardening so i can put then in and run a file across to size them. And the little 25acp will grow with enough use.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    If your application can tolerate the brass being a hair shorter you could buy 360DW brass and forget the trimming.
    Huh!

That is a new Cartridge for me, I had not heard of it before.

Thank you! Might indeed be worth a try!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few trimmers my favorite (and most expensive) is Dillon.

Boolit Master

FIRST, use a trim die and jeweler hacksaw to remove the major portion
    You can use a 357 Mag trim die and a #6 extended shell holder
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...7-mag-trim-die

Then I use either a Forster manual

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...l-case-trimmer

or an electric RCBS trimmer

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/69...se-trimmer-kit

Mike

p.s. gotta ask, why trim in between a 357 Mag and Maximum?
    Making cylinder length shotshells?
    Last edited by skeettx; 07-07-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

As mentioned, just get some 360 DW cases. Starline has them and they are a bit cheaper and more available than 357 Max. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    Huh!

That is a new Cartridge for me, I had not heard of it before.

Thank you! Might indeed be worth a try!
    If you’d like a dozen to play with send me your address.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Me? I have both a Redding and Lyman little lathe type trimmers which have collected dust here for years. I "discovered" the Wilson, have case holders for each of the 30 calibers I load, and never cease to be impressed with its repeatability. A tapered sleeve is what holds and supports you case, so each and every trimming comes out the same. Perhaps my own ineptness, but I could never get this repeatability from the trimmers employing collets on case head to hold them. I just Googled and found a YouTube on it -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxsNP_5eDVg -- haven't watched it, but... I believe Wilson is not the only maker of this type trimmer -- maybe Forster, too?
    Regardless... it's all I use. If you roll crimp 100 or so cases in a loading session, using bullets you put a cannelure on, and see their gorgeous identical appearance -- imho, this tool's beauty speaks for itself.
    geo
    This looks like such a nice Care Trimmer..!

Watching the Video, it does inspire me to imagine how nice uniform Cases might be, when I am re-Loading.

Differences in length do effect Crimp of course and I have felt annoyed with this.

So, having a Case Trimmer for preparing Cartridge Brass for the old S & W New Model 3's chambering, might just be a blessing in general for anything else anyway!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast