MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be careful please

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    The last time i was a smart butt about this i was sawing wood on my table saw my wife walked by and told me to be careful being hot tired and just not in the mood i stoped and explained that i had been using saws all my like and never been cut. About 20 minutes later we were on the way to the emergency room. A dozen stiches later headed home. Anytime i get the urge to be a smart butt my wife just says been doing it all my life. You can't imagine how many times i have heard that.

As a safety manager for a pipeline construction company, besides teaching OSHA classes while out on the job sites I would tell the guys "its not the newbies I worry about , it's the oldies or our experienced people I watch closer.
    New people are more conscientious , with guidance on doing a good job .
    Experienced people know but grow complacent and take shortcuts when no one is looking ....
    Incidents in the past have proven that unfortunately .
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Grand Master

With the heat and increased schedule of chores and hobbies this time of year. You get tired faster hurry more and cut corners on things. Its easy to do. Inattention, hurrying leads to injuries. What scary is you may have "cut that corner" a bunch of times and got away with it but this time bites you. I thought a simple reminder might save a member some pain and time

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jj850 View Post
    I am learning lo listen when that voice in my head says (this is going to hurt ) .IT has taken far too long however
    Think my problem is I can't hear as well as I used to.....

Boolit Master

I was in a lot of pain last night. I was going to load some 40's. Decided not to. Because i knew my mind would not be into paying attention to not over or under charge. Took a epsom salt soak in the tub instead. That hit the spot.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    This thread brings to mind two things that I was told many years ago.
    First from my old flight instructor.Ray Bloomer."Keep your head outta the cockpit".
    Second from my GrandFather."Slow and sure beats the hell out of quick and dead".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Demeter’s_Workshop
    It took me 30 years to finally admit I have dodged enough flying metal chips to wear my safety glasses... Well worth taking safety into consideration. A few body parts just don't like growing back!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect_23 View Post
    It took me 30 years to finally admit I have dodged enough flying metal chips to wear my safety glasses... Well worth taking safety into consideration. A few body parts just don't like growing back!
    You know book matches work great for getting metal chips out of the eyes. And if you need to pull one out that stuck in a blunted pair of tweezers is just the ticket.

Banned
    Thanks for the reminder. A guy like me needs to be reminded.

Boolit Grand Master

The nurse at work had a rare earth magnet she used for getting steel chips out.

Demeter’s_Workshop
    I also have a large rare earth magnet in the first aid kit!

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The nurse at work had a rare earth magnet she used for getting steel chips out.
    I have always worked in small shops. Only nurse you were likely to see was at emergency room.

Hey Red Bear, didn't know about the book matches. I will try to remember that! In my aircraft sheet metal working days we used a lead pencil like a #2 with a worn point to get aluminum chips out of the eye. Worked like a charm. The pencil didn't cause the eye to blink as you slightly touched and moved under the chip. Usually happened from someone blowing with the air hose in next compartment as you were working right there on the other side. i also like the magnet as well.

Many cutting tools throw out double pointed small pieces that wind up in your fingers... I was told to use sandpaper sliding on the skin to remove it. First you use a tissue or cloth and rub in different directions and find which way has the most drag, then stroke the sandpaper in the other direction and the sliver will be gone most of the time.

Quick tip cutting copper tubing. It is usually the practice to turn the cutter clockwise stopping to tighten the knob. An old man that worked in one of the shops at the Airbase showed me to turn the cutter counterclockwise holding slight pressure on the knob and as the cutter was cutting the knob was being adjusted tighter, making the job seem much easier and faster. Try it. It works.

Boolit Master

Thanks for bringing this up. IMHO, really important for all of us. In the military, we had risk assessment procedures. Whenever planning a mission, all risks were identified, a value was given to them, i.e., 4, little or none, 1, very dangerous/catastrophic. We would then work up controls or plans to mitigate the risks. This could be done informally, just talking them out or formally, using a form. An example would be firearms training/range. Considered a 1. Safety officer/nco, range safety briefing, and a coach for each shooter. And lots of re-inforcement. In our unit, safety was of utmost importance. We saw the results of other units' lack of emphasis too often. I still do it when I am about to do something like smelting, casting or using power tools. Step back, think about it, as others have said, and make sure you are not creating a script for disaster.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned
    @gbrown, Thanks that is great practical advise.

Boolit Master
    I used to have a cheap angle grinder (AWD). The "kill switch" broke right away but I kept it for years, using the thing for occasional home stuff. It was a big one,I have proper smaller ones... used those for decades...

Then one day while cutting a stovepipe tube in my Sauna I did something wrong and the grinder flew off my hands,right against my belly and then to the floor,still spinning. I probably hit the wall and the grinder jumped.

I have no understanding about what saved me but I only got some circular scratches in my belly, no stitches needed or anything.

But nowadays I take a look at my belly scars before using power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Hey Red Bear, didn't know about the book matches. I will try to remember that! In my aircraft sheet metal working days we used a lead pencil like a #2 with a worn point to get aluminum chips out of the eye. Worked like a charm. The pencil didn't cause the eye to blink as you slightly touched and moved under the chip. Usually happened from someone blowing with the air hose in next compartment as you were working right there on the other side. i also like the magnet as well.
    Just pull a mach out and the end that you tore loose works great for taking out chips.
    I wore safety glasses but doing a lot of hand finishing with a hand grinder and a carbide cutter it just threw little needle chips everywhere. Tried goggles but they kept fogging up and couldn't see what i was doing. Unfortunately i showed a nack for hand finishing everyone else was smart enough to mess it up. So for more than 4 years i got every job that required hand finishing.
    Last edited by RED BEAR; 07-08-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've had to add a small 12V fan to goggles in the past in this humid area; I run it off a 9V fan so it just pulls a little air, enough to prevent fogging though. You want it to pull air AWAY from the goggles, not blow it into there, though. Paintball player I knew saw what I had done & copied it but the idiot had it sucking air into their goggles; Guess what happened when the first mosquito got sucked into the fan? Same thing would happen with dust or metal chips etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12