MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: reduced slug loads in 20 gauge

Banned

reduced slug loads in 20 gauge

Hi folks, not much out there on reduced slug loads in shotguns. I was wondering if anyone has any data or or links on this subject. I'd like to load down below subsonic level in 20ga with some slugs for fun. I dont mind working all the way down to mousefart levels in pistol cartridges. Shotguns though are a different kettle of fish, would rather find some sources of information . If anyone has loaded slugs at low speed would be interested to hear.

Boolit Master

Here is some reduced load data for 12 and 20 gauge. You might be able substitute a slug for the shot.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...shellloads.pdf
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Banned
    Greetings, Here is a good hunting load at 1481 fps for .575 RB in Trap Commander wad

Here is a heavy bullet load of 450 gr at lower 1300 Plus fps. yet still very powerful for hunting.

What a pleasure loading and firing 20 Ga Nitro Express Loads.

Hoping it helps.
    Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 07-08-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ajay, always enjoy reading your stuff....but do you have and light slug loads for 20ga 2-3/4" casings? My old RB shotgun only has the short chamber. Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    Here is some reduced load data for 12 and 20 gauge. You might be able substitute a slug for the shot.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...shellloads.pdf

Thanks, the data is 1150fps so I could safely drop a couple grains to get subsonic I am thinking.

Banned
    Ajay thanks, but I was chasing subsonic loads and hoping to go about 1/3 the weight of powders you are using. If you have anything along those lines, very interested to hear.

It's not rocket science. Find a listed load with Red- or Green Dot, maybe Unique for a similar payload, and reduce the load gradually from there. If you have a chronograph you can plot the grains/velocity and extrapolate even more loads. When chasing light loads, fast shotgun powders is the way to go as they responds well to reduced loads. The worst than can happen is a partial blooper. You can often tell when the load is becoming too weak, as the smoke will have a "sweet" smell to it, and you'll have flakes of unburned powder in the barrel.
    Cap'n Morgan