Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I looking at this wrong? (Quick sizing question)

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    A good set of calipers can and are very accurate when still working used them often to measure + - .001. Now i did say a good set i always preferred browne and sharpe but starret and mityo are good to. I have to say if you are flexing a pair of calipers you are pushing to hard. I used the same brown and sharpe calipers for over 40 years. Calipers have adjustment screws on them to keep them zeroed as they wear. Just like a micrometer you have to have a feel for a caliper. Pretty much anyone can do it just takes practice. When ever we had new people starting out set them down with a set of joe blocks and a caliper and mic so they could kinda get a feel on how to measure .

Boolit Buddy
    Back in my machine shop days calipers were outlawed for anything under .005" tolerance. I've seen some of the cheaper mics test out fine near zero, but be off as much as .002" near the center of the travel. buyer beware

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, Red Bear's right. Calipers can and are very accurate, but by design perimeters, don't lend themselves well to a couple measurements; small IDs where the jaws' width keeps the from fitting the ID well and small cylindrical objects where pressure and long narrow jaws may "spring" the jaws and give false readings. I had a Mititoyo 6" dial caliper as one of my first measuring tools, used professionally. I trusted it to .0005", the one "drawback" was reading the dial, as my eyes could mistake a .0002" movement...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Your lee die is probably sizing at .322. To date I’ve had to open every lee die I’ve boaught because they were all .001 below the stated diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    as said before, calipers are for close measure. We used them for rough work (ie.+-.003). For serious work (+-.0003or less) it was Starrett, or Brown and sharp; even those had to be recalibrated occasionally. Of course on some jobs we needed to take temp. into consideration. Mititoyo makes a good mike also. you can buy a good mike for around $100. to do most work, try msc.com or kbc.com.
    BD

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    as said before, calipers are for close measure. We used them for rough work (ie.+-.003). For serious work (+-.0003or less) it was Starrett, or Brown and sharp; even those had to be recalibrated occasionally. Of course on some jobs we needed to take temp. into consideration. Mititoyo makes a good mike also. you can buy a good mike for around $100. to do most work, try msc.com or kbc.com.
    BD
    Yea we had a couple of jobs where the tolerance was + o - .00005. These had to be measured at 72 degrees not 73 or 74. If you added coolant to grinder if it had not set out for a day before adding you were done for the day and had to wait for the next day.

Boolit Buddy
    Oily - There’s some resistance - nothing crazy like the LEE Karabiner bullets I’ve cast, but certainly a little.

Wayne Smith - I know you were simplifying, but you’ve got a point there. In a different situation I’ve got (A 1908 Brazilian Mauser in 7mm that won’t shoot worth a d///), I may just try that. I suspect that the barrel is a lot bigger than the bullet.

Love Life - you’d have liked my LEE Karabiner mold, maybe: the bullets were so hard to push through the LEE 8mm sizer that I broke the linkage on my old Anniversary press. LEE sent a new linkage made out of steel. But those Karabiners were a hard bullet to re-size. I’ll have to take the mic to THEM when I get it. That’ll be interesting. Or maybe not, since it’s the same LEE 8mm sizer.

Thanks guys.

8mmFan

Moderator Emeritus
    Your measurements are fine. The aluminum probably has a little spring back after being sized so the gas checks are a little larger than the bullets. Lead doesn’t spring back.

Have fun shooting them!

Boolit Buddy
    Guys, I got my new micrometer in the mail. Now, am I reading (and measuring) this right?

These are PRE-SIZER, meaning, I have not run them through the sizing die yet. I am measuring them on the widest part of the bullet.

In the first photo, it looks to me like the 8mm bullet is water-dropping at .3285” (.325 +. 0035)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2B785F4-AB7B-458F-B1F6-91ACC38F4655.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	245089

In the next photo, it looks to me like the 7mm bullet is water-dropping at .2925” (.275 + .175).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	876924A4-FC71-459C-875E-77868CF60E22.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	245090

Just checking to make sure that I’m using and reading the tool correctly.

Boolit Buddy
    My bad...I put the photos in the wrong order.

That's what it looks like to me.

(+.0175) though.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Redhawk, that’s what I needed to know.

And just to bring the whole thread full circle, and give LEE their due, I measured two sized and LLA’d bullets, and they are right at .323 and .285, respectively. There is a tiny amount of play in the micrometer, so I’m not sure how to adjust for that. But it seems that these LEE cast, sized, and lubed bullets are right where advertised.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

8mmFan

Good...I'm glad to hear you have it sorted out....and...you got a new tool too

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Good...I'm glad to hear you have it sorted out....and...you got a new tool too

redhawk
    Exactly!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12