Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Short cases in 45/70

Boolit Buddy

Short cases in 45/70

As I understand Michigan has also joined the states allowing straight walled cases in the shotgun area for deer hunting.But , the case length is limited to 1.8 " I have read guys are cutting the 45/70 case down to meet this requirement. I am sure this can be done as per shooting 38's in 357 & 44 special in 44 mag. Any thoughts in load adjustment in this short case?

So............... Case length on a 45-60 is 1.890" which is a little closer and works fine in my 1876. As for shortening the case and using it in a rifle for 45-70, I don't see an issue other than throat erosion if it is shot too much or possible loading due to the short OAL. I load my 45-60 with TB and have no issues with it reaching the original fps for that cartridge. So a faster powder may be needed to reach a good velocity for the 45-70. Hope this helps, might be wrong, been known to happen.............

Boolit Master

It is done here in Indiana, I know because I find short 45-70 cases at the range.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Aren’t Hornady cases short already? I’m traveling so can’t measure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Aren’t Hornady cases short already? I’m traveling so can’t measure.
    Hornady cases are not short enough...
    My understanding is they shorten the case and use the same load, same overall length of cartridge, only the brass is shortened. More of the bullet is exposed but it functions, feeds, and performs the same. I have not felt the need to do this. Bought a 44 mag rifle instead. I can always use a new excuse for buying a new rifle.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good reason for a 500 S&W.

What's the reasoning behind the case length limit?

Boolit Mold
    I used a Lee cartridge length gage and cut the depth gage portion down far enough to fit 5oogr through my 1895 CB, never had a problem. Powder space is limited but a 45-70 "special" could be quite flexible.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

All of these states are using the case length limit to limit range of the round for "safety" reasons. Shorter case, larger diameter projectile, lower velocity, hence shorter range to keep people from shooting out of the county. Range of a typical 30-06 is what? 7 miles? Range of a 44 Mag is what? 1.5 miles? And a typical 45-70 is just a little more than they want since we all know people target shoot with them at 1000 yards and do pretty well. Try 1000 yards with your 44 Mag and see if you can even reach the target.

Boolit Buddy
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    Is a tapered case legal as long as it has no shoulder?

Boolit Grand Master

Straight walled in rifle cases is a misnomer in that all have some body taper to aid extraction of the fired case. Sandy Hook tests of the 45-70 were at 2 miles with the BP loadings of the day. The straight walled and case length do limit ranges of cartridges just not as much as most people think. I bet the game commissions that came up with these regulations never considered hunters would shorten cases and maintain overall loaded length. I did a 40 cal straight walled case on a 300 win mag case for a member in Indiana. Shortened to 1.8" taper sized to a 410 neck and headspaces on the belt. It was an impressive looking round with about the same water capacity as a 40-65.
    Shortening the case and maintaining overall loaded length doesn't reduce the powder capacity. the base of the bullet is still at the same height above the case head, just less neck holding. So even in these shortened cases the same basic loads can be used, IF the overall length is the same as the parent round.

Even in the original loadings these BP rounds with the heavy bullets have way more range and risk of ricochets than a shotgun with slugs. But then so do most of the allowed pistol rounds. One other reason for these laws was hopes of increasing the Deer harvest.

I cut down a 450MARLIN to 1.8 and load a 500rn to the same length as parent case. Used starting loads and worked up. Works great and shoots as well as full length cases. The biggest problem was having the shorten the seating/crimp die to reach the case to crimp. I shoot it out of custom Savage 110LH I built as a cast shooter.

Boolit Master

In Ohio cartridges must be straight wall cases from 38 special up to 50-110.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    For DonMountain and all:

IMHO, 7 miles is so far unrealistic, it is laughable. Almost all cast will be far less, yes I am completely familiar with the high velocity cast successfully shot by some

goggle search,

How far will a 30 06 bullet go?

The .30-06 firing a flatbased 180 grain spitzer bullet at 2,700 fps will travel 4,100 yards. If you load a boat-tailed bullet (same weight and muzzle velocity) it will travel no less than 5,600 yards, or 3.2 miles.Jan 15, 2005

How far can a 50 cal bullet go?

A Barret .50 caliber sniper rifle has an effective range (how far you are likely to hit the target) of about 1.2 miles (a Canadian sniper reportedly made a shot from 1.5 miles), and an actual range (how far the bullet can travel) of about 4.2 miles.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

People making law on things they know nothing about. Instead of case length and straight wall case they should be going by bullet weight/caliber and velocity. There is no difference in danger shooting a 12ga sabot with a .458" 385gr bullet @ 1900 fps vs a .458socom 350gr bullet at 1700fps.

Boolit Master

I don't see a problem. If you seat the bullet out further you should be able to get back almost to the suggested overall length.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle