Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kontareva-3 Russian 12ga slug mold.........

Boolit Master

Kontareva-3 Russian 12ga slug mold.........

Just thought I would ask, does anyone have any experience with this mold? Kontareva-3?

This 525gr slug, allegedly, is the most accurate of the Russian made shotgun slug molds. I'll be finding out shortly, when it arrives.

I do have a couple other Russian slug molds, one is pretty accurate in both smoothbore and fully rifled.

The proprietary wads are pretty pricey, yet I did buy some anyway. Ultimately, I'm going to find a way to make this new mold work with trap wads.

Any thoughts, comments, idea's, would be appreciated. Thanks,

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Well HV, lots of folks talk about this mould. Hog tamer and that group, all should weigh in. i personally dont have one.. they are pretty spendy and use a bunch of lead.. but perhaps once you do all the work, get all the loads worked out and so on, I can pester you untill you relinquish your "books"...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I tried to google... How does "Kontareva-3" look like?

I did notice now that those two russian companies use different names for the same slugs...

I only have bought Svarog via Ebay. Quite a few times. I don't know how to buy from "AS-company" using Facebook. I also don't like how ascompany is bashing Svarog in public forums like this.

Here is my Svarog Paradox,it uses its own wads. Mine drop at 540 grns. I found reasonable smoothbore accuracy with hard slugs quite quickly. Same wads for "Kontareva-3" maybe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190707_003046_324.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	244783

These go through 10 mm steel. Unfortunately I lost my data,a memory card failed. But I think I remember it... famous last words yes...
    Last edited by Petander; 07-06-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Check weight

Boolit Master

Petander-

You can buy direct from AS-Molds dot com; awesome prices. PayPal.

HV

HV: Remember who has a nice Trapper II when you get a few made up. LOL Hope all's well at your place. Gp

Boolit Master

gpidaho-

Sure will, hope you are well.

HV

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I tried to google... How does "Kontareva-3" look like?

I did notice now that those two russian companies use different names for the same slugs...

I only have bought Svarog via Ebay. Quite a few times. I don't know how to buy from "AS-company" using Facebook. I also don't like how ascompany is bashing Svarog in public forums like this.

Here is my Svarog Paradox,it uses its own wads. Mine drop at 540 grns. I found reasonable smoothbore accuracy with hard slugs quite quickly. Same wads for "Kontareva-3" maybe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190707_003046_324.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	244783

These go through 10 mm steel. Unfortunately I lost my data,a memory card failed. But I think I remember it... famous last words yes...
    I agree 200% about that <language> bad mouthing and trying unabashedly to pump up the AS molds . I’d like to have a copy of the Savorag paradox mold and I don’t need their wads . But I don’t want that mold until I have a nice old side by side fully rifled 12 bore or a paradox 12 bore .
    Last edited by No_1; 07-09-2019 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Language Censor Violation
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Look what came in today.........

Attachment 245270Attachment 245271

Well, look what arrived today. Can't wait to try it out.

HV

USMC 77, USRA 79

woooo Hooooo... now lets see some targets and slugs...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

HV: I got my order in at Reloaders Network for the Russian paradox mould, the wads and the special tooling to seat the wads. It should be here in a few days. Hope we can do some trading. SIL just gifted me a Mossberg 930 Tactical. Hope to use it testing some slugs and buckshot loads. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Its been pretty quiet around here for a while... and I haven't been helping fix that either! Been too busy and pre-occupied to get slugs loaded and get out shooting.

It is good to see someone is carrying on though.

I quite like the Russian Paradox and Tusker designs and I read that the Gualandi clone seems quite accurate. The Russians seem to be offering a lot of variety to an otherwise under supplied area of shooting and reloading.

I'll be looking forward to some range reports. And one day (hopefully soon) I'll be posting another one myself.

Longbow

longbow: My new Russian mould arrived mid-week (paradox) and it drops a very nice slug. I got the extra base pin and the specialty tail wads and seating tools. Pretty slick the way the wads snap in. Also Scott sent me 20 of the .69 minis and a load he wants tested at range. I'll be out this coming week to test them out and will give a report. And yes, the Russians are filling a need over here. Seems hard to get any domestic interest in producing slug moulds. I'm very pleased with the three Svarog moulds I've purchased. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

So far the only thing I wonder about is the as cast diameter. They seem to cast somewhat small. One of the members sent me some Paradox slugs to try and they are 0.727" so small for my 0.733" smoothbore single shot. I tried some and while they shot okay accuracy was nothing to write home about. I knurled some up then sized to exactly 0.733" and those are some of the ones I have to get tested.

Also, now I have my Mossberg Slugster which has a nice tight bore and I think I still have a few unsized Paradox slugs to try as well. They may fit that bore better as cast.

I have an ongoing argument with myself as to whether wad slugs are better or full bore slugs. I like that full bore slugs eliminate the wad fit variable but then the full bore slugs have to fit the bore... and shotgun bores are all over the place! If a ribbed slug (think Brenneke) is cast at 0.735" and crushes that should suit any bore by squeezing down.

Anyway, the moulds look nice and seem to be working well for people. I may wind up getting one myself. I'd hate to be left out!

I got to get out shooting!

Longbow

Longbow: It seems to be the luck of the draw sometimes when it comes mould sizing. My new paradox with an alloy of 11-12 BHN drops a slug at .730. That and I powder coat about 99% of everything, rifle, pistol and shotgun (even buckshot) That gives me a finished slug of .731-.732 No complaint with that. Gp

Banned

Russian barrel run extremely small. That is probably why they are that way. The Russian guns are spec
    d at 18.3mm or 0.720"

Just a little tid bit of info from when I used to load for my Saiga

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, apparently many European guns run smallish bores or so I read anyway. No personal experience.

Yup! 0.731"-0.732" should be good.

I'm a little confused as to why HB slugs aren't made a bit large so they can swage down to suit. That should accommodate any "standard" shotgun bore whether smooth or rifled. I read that Brenneke start at 0.735" for that very reason. If I could find some factory Brenneke rounds I'd buy some to disassemble but they are not available where I am. I tried to find some last time I visited my Daughter in Edmonton but no go! None to be had in Edmonton. I'll see if I can find some in Vancouver next time I am there but that could be a while.

Powder coating or slightly undersize and paper patched should get to suitable bore diameter. Only problem with PP slugs is rough hull interiors and opening the crimp. I've done it and it seemed to work but I did get occasional fliers.

Alternately, knurling up then sizing back should do it too. I am of the opinion that like with cast boolits, fit is king! And in the case of shotgun slugs wad column is about as important. I have some knurled Paradox slugs waiting (not so patiently now) for testing. Got to get to it!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    Attachment 245270Attachment 245271

Well, look what arrived today. Can't wait to try it out.

HV
    That is one pretty mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Just started down the slug loading path myself and I'm interested in the slug pictures and results of testing. Might be a little too much for me at this point as I'm new to shotgun casting. Right now working on #00 buck and the little Lee 7/8 oz slug. It's a learning experience coming from pistol and rifle casting for sure. Please update with results when you have time. Thanks for the pictures.
    Rondo

They just sent me that slug mold, but segmented, to test and review. Seems promising.

Also got another 6,000 piece order of those tail wads.

Got a lot of stuff going on, but I’ll get around to loading some up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I really like the kontareva-2 & -3 mine drop .732! The .729 pellet from the same company A.S. molds is the best! There new twister is very similar to there Sh-Sh mold but still cool! I have the Shot-mini on the way then I'll have all from as-molds.com! if you don't want to use the a-zot wad with the kontareva just use gas seals and fiber... easy peasy
    Last edited by 00BuckOperator; 04-16-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast