WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 917-V 17 HMR questions

Boolit Master

Marlin 917-V 17 HMR questions

does anyone here have any experiences with marlin's 917-V 17 HMR trigger issues?

Boolit Master

Have two of the rifles in question, what trigger issues are you asking about? Assuming your asking about the accutrigger? Only problem I’ve had is the second one we bought was set far to light for use with with gloves, adjusted a pound or so heavier and all was well. Gloves being a necessity for harming shooting in MI about 6 months of the year.

Boolit Master
    mine is a pre-accutrigger. seems I wore it out.

Boolit Master
    I have a pre accutrigger as well. What type of trigger issue are you having?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I have a 1st year 17V, 2002. The trigger has always been heavy. Following this thread for a solution.

Boolit Master
    upon closing bolt down into battery, it fires. i am guessing the trigger and sear are worn out

Boolit Master

That surely sounds like it warrants immediate send back to manufacturer!

Boolit Master
    I seriously doubt they are worn out. If you remove the action from the stock and place it on its side. You will see a 3/8 inch dia hole in the side of the aluminum trigger housing. In the middle of that opening you should see the trigger /sear engagement. Mine has a dab of factory (I assume)grease on the interface. If a piece of dirt has gotten between the surfaces it will keep the trigger from fully engaging in the sear-notch. My seat engagement is close to .060 inch. If you bought the gun used, there is a good possibility a prior owner replaced/ or cut the springs to get a “better” trigger pull. Also could have ground on the sear engagement to reduce the travel. Both of those are bad choices and can lead to exactly what you see. The trigger pull on these is pretty heavy and gritty, so “home gunsmithing” is a real temptation. Please check for contamination, if nothing found you need to replace some parts.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Rking22, I will take the trigger assembly apart again but I am pretty certain that the black tip on the trigger itself that contacts what I would think would be the Seer look rounded off I shoot this gun a lot like five hundred rounds a day

Boolit Master
    Clean the contact area well and take a good look. I have not attempted any work on this trigger so cannot state anything on the hardness of the engagement surfaced. I can post a picture of mine for you to compare if you like.

Boolit Master
    well, finally got around to completely disassemble and cleaning of trigger parts. YEP, it is worn out. I am not angry about it, more disappointed than anything. life span of this trigger is 2500 rounds.

Boolit Master
    Wow, that is disappointing! Seems out of character from my experience with older Marlins. I have seen very soft trigger parts in some cheap Turkish made shotguns so I guess Rem/Marlin are following suit. Sad

Boolit Master
    Marlin did not/will not warrant the parts. I am ok with that. rifle is 13 years old. what i am disappointed at, is this rifle is dead nuts accurate. marlin no longer keeps parts for it.

A good gunsmith should be able to make or fix the worn out parts. I don't know if the rifle is worth the expense. That would be up to you.

Boolit Master
    tazman, if you saw for yourself how this rifle shoots, you would spend $100 on a timney trigger if they made them. I worked over an alfalfa field littered with prairie dogs 2 weeks ago. everything inside of 250 yards was mine. killed close to 470 of them in 5 days.

GunParts/Numrich ought to have the parts you need. Five hundred rounds a day of .17 HMR sounds expensive.

Boolit Master
    If you like it I would build it back up with TIG rod and reset the sear surfaces. That will last longer than the original. Gun Parts may have the parts, or perhaps fit the later ” accutrigger “ assembly???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    GunParts/Numrich ought to have the parts you need. Five hundred rounds a day of .17 HMR sounds expensive.
    i buy in bulk. a good day i will shoot 500. but this alfalfa field is a mess. some of it overgrown with weeds, p-dog holes are everywhere. I shoot alone to control the alarm notices and work the field in 90Deg. radius patterns, rotating from blind to blind. YES, I have to use blinds or my daily take never exceeds 27 p-dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    tazman, if you saw for yourself how this rifle shoots, you would spend $100 on a timney trigger if they made them. I worked over an alfalfa field littered with prairie dogs 2 weeks ago. everything inside of 250 yards was mine. killed close to 470 of them in 5 days.
    That is some impressive shooting!
    I hope you get your rifle fixed up.

The .17 HMR rocks. A very useful varmint cartridge. I guess I’d better get another one.
    Thanks, enabler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast