Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Granulation and load comparison

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Granulation and load comparison

This is a very interesting and informative chart my friend Wayne Stormer came up with.

In this case, we'll look at the conversion of Goex FFg to Goex FFFg and vice versa making our measurements in volume of grains. We will see the conversion of them according to the two thoughts of 56% and 75% used by many when going from Goex FFg to FFFg etc. All numbers were rounded up and down.

GOEX FFg to FFFg at the 56% proposed rule of thought
    50 gr FFg = 28 gr FFFg
    60 gr FFg = 34 gr FFFg
    70 gr FFg = 39 gr FFFg
    80 gr FFg = 45 gr FFFg
    90 gr FFg = 50 gr FFFg
    100 gr FFg = 56 gr FFFg
    110 gr FFg = 62 gr FFFg
    125 gr FFg = 70 gr FFFg

GOEX FFg to FFFg at the 75% proposed rule of thought
    50 gr FFg = 38 gr FFFg
    60 gr FFg = 45 gr FFFg
    70 gr FFg = 53 gr FFFg
    80 gr FFg = 60 gr FFFg
    90 gr FFg = 68 gr FFFg
    100 gr FFg = 75 gr FFFg
    110 gr FFg = 83 gr FFFg
    125 gr FFg = 94 gr FFFg

GOEX FFFg to FFg
    30 gr FFFg = 54 gr FFg (at 56%), 40 gr FFg (at 75%)
    40 gr FFFg = 71 gr FFg (56%), 53 gr FFg (75%)
    50 gr FFFg = 89 gr FFg (56%), 67 gr FFg (75%)
    60 gr FFFg = 107 gr FFg (56%), 80 gr FFg (75%)
    70 gr FFFg = 125 gr FFg (56%), 93 gr FFg (75%)
    80 gr FFFg = 143 gr FFg (56%), 107 gr FFg (75%)
    90 gr FFFg = 161 gr FFg (56%), 120 gr FFg (75%)
    100 gr FFFg = 179 gr FFg (56%), 133 gr FFg (75%)
    110 gr FFFg = 196 gr FFg (56%), 147 gr FFg (75%)

Then there is the differences in the mesh sizes, material components, quality and strengths of the different black powders and black powder substitutes. One must know and understand the differences and pay attention to the math for converting and using such things to avoid potential trouble.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    This is a very interesting and informative chart my friend Wayne Stormer came up with.

In this case, we'll look at the conversion of Goex FFg to Goex FFFg and vice versa making our measurements in volume of grains. We will see the conversion of them according to the two thoughts of 56% and 75% used by many when going from Goex FFg to FFFg etc. All numbers were rounded up and down.

GOEX FFg to FFFg at the 56% proposed rule of thought
    50 gr FFg = 28 gr FFFg
    60 gr FFg = 34 gr FFFg
    70 gr FFg = 39 gr FFFg
    80 gr FFg = 45 gr FFFg
    90 gr FFg = 50 gr FFFg
    100 gr FFg = 56 gr FFFg
    110 gr FFg = 62 gr FFFg
    125 gr FFg = 70 gr FFFg

GOEX FFg to FFFg at the 75% proposed rule of thought
    50 gr FFg = 38 gr FFFg
    60 gr FFg = 45 gr FFFg
    70 gr FFg = 53 gr FFFg
    80 gr FFg = 60 gr FFFg
    90 gr FFg = 68 gr FFFg
    100 gr FFg = 75 gr FFFg
    110 gr FFg = 83 gr FFFg
    125 gr FFg = 94 gr FFFg

GOEX FFFg to FFg
    30 gr FFFg = 54 gr FFg (at 56%), 40 gr FFg (at 75%)
    40 gr FFFg = 71 gr FFg (56%), 53 gr FFg (75%)
    50 gr FFFg = 89 gr FFg (56%), 67 gr FFg (75%)
    60 gr FFFg = 107 gr FFg (56%), 80 gr FFg (75%)
    70 gr FFFg = 125 gr FFg (56%), 93 gr FFg (75%)
    80 gr FFFg = 143 gr FFg (56%), 107 gr FFg (75%)
    90 gr FFFg = 161 gr FFg (56%), 120 gr FFg (75%)
    100 gr FFFg = 179 gr FFg (56%), 133 gr FFg (75%)
    110 gr FFFg = 196 gr FFg (56%), 147 gr FFg (75%)

Then there is the differences in the mesh sizes, material components, quality and strengths of the different black powders and black powder substitutes. One must know and understand the differences and pay attention to the math for converting and using such things to avoid potential trouble.
    Do you or Wayne have any chronograph tests on this?? I dont but the 56% idea looks to me like the FFFwould come up weak............75 % .... yeah....close I would think ???? my best guess would be 80gr FFFg to 100gr FFg - but a lot will depend on barrel length - is it round ball or slug - plenty of variables

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Do you or Wayne have any chronograph tests on this?? I dont but the 56% idea looks to me like the FFFwould come up weak............75 % .... yeah....close I would think ???? my best guess would be 80gr FFFg to 100gr FFg - but a lot will depend on barrel length - is it round ball or slug - plenty of variables
    I'm pretty sure he is talking round ball. My experience shows me that the 75% chart is much closer to what I have found. I'm not basing that on chronograph, but on accuracy testing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Please explain the 56% and 75%. I don't think I've seen that before.
    I realize it is a percentage think but do not know who/how these numbers came up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by okshooter View Post
    Please explain the 56% and 75%. I don't think I've seen that before.
    I realize it is a percentage think but do not know who/how these numbers came up.

Thanks
    I hadn't seen it before either. As I said in my last post, my personal finding are very close to the 75%, based on comparative results on target with various loads of each granulation.
    Basically, this just gives you more information when wondering which granulation to use. I use 3fff in everything, as I am cheap, and you can easily see on the chart a pound of powder goes a lot further.
    I guess what I am trying to say is, if you have a good load worked up, and you want to try the other granulation, you have a ball park in which to start.

Banned

i also only use 3f for all traditional muzzleloaders, and all are flintlock .32 to .62 bore long guns. one horn for both tube and pan.

from personal observation, i think the general 75% GOEX 3f to 2f rule is about right. however, i've found a difference in brands and swiss 3f is simply more potent and cleaner burning with less fouling than basic goex 3f. as a result the swiss 3f will change the comparison at least a bit, perhaps by 5%. so for swiss, i'd say 70%, not 75%, and definitely not 56% (where in the world did that way overblown number come from??).

Swiss FFFg to GOEX FFg
    28 gr FFFg = 40 gr FFg (at 70%)
    37 gr FFFg = 53 gr FFg (70%)
    47 gr FFFg = 67 gr FFg (750)
    56 gr FFFg = 80 gr FFg (70%)
    65 gr FFFg = 93 gr FFg (70%)
    75 gr FFFg = 107 gr FFg (70%)
    84 gr FFFg = 120 gr FFg (70%)
    93 gr FFFg = 133 gr FFg (70%)
    103 gr FFFg = 147 gr FFg (70%)

i load 70 grains of swiss 3f under a not-too-tight .526" patched ball in a .54 flintlock with a 43" barrel and it do feel like a good 100 grains of GOEX 2f.