WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot 22 shorts? Ammo...

Anyone shoot 22 shorts? Ammo...

I picked up a browning sa-22 in short-only and have had fun with it. However, I have been amazed at the few flavors of shells available. I've always shot the CCI hollow points in a lever for squirrel hunting and they shoot really well. The Aguila round nose shells do pretty well in the browning. The CCI CCB shorts are accurate and quiet, but don't always cycle the action fully. The Remington shorts are, well, as bad as all their other rimfire ammo. Other than that I have never even seen Winchester's shorts for sale. Eley and the other high end brands seem not to make shorts any more. Anyone try the Armscor shorts that are on the market at low prices? I am a little afraid to try the low end stuff, but the price is compelling.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I love the CCI 22 CB shorts in my BL 22. I am in the same boat, can't find 22 shorts anywhere anymore.

Must be the area. Mostly get them from one of our local feed stores. CCI 22 short hollow point is my go to round. They are more costly than CCI 22 long rifle, but have always been available here. Even when the ammo drought hit. Last time I bought both, the 22lr were $8 a hundred and the 22shp were $14.79 a hundred. What I use them is in an old Mossburg bolt action tube magazine, a Rossi pump action tube magazine and a model #3 Stevens single shot. Never had a failure to feed, function or fire. On our local small game, in my opinion, the shorts are more effective.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master

i have a Browning take-down that only shoots shorts. They are a little higher than LR but have never been a problem to get here.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Same here, only my short eater is a Remington 241. I find them at Academy Sports on occasion and at 2 local shops regularly. I buy them whenever I see them on sale, especially the standard velocity versions. They kill squirrels very well but I use subsonic hp LR in everything but the 241, dang shorts are expensive!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I prefer .22 Short hp for squirrels and bullfrogs in my Remington bolt actions. I usually find them at Academy. Currently I have CCI and Remington Golden Bullet- both work fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There was a time when shorts were more expensive than Long rifle. Is that still true?

Boolit Master

Shorts are more expensive than LR due to supply and demand. Same thing occurs in 9mm being cheaper than .380 ACP.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    As a kid i always bought the 22 shorts because they were cheaper than the longs or long rifles. But i guess there just isn't the call for them anymore.

Boolit Master
    Winchester still makes .22 Shorts, too: x22s. It is in stock lots of places.

I shoot them in a little Beretta 950 and it's a hoot to shoot. Not fussy as to what it eats either, which is a good thing as most my supply of .22 Shorts is a mixed bag of different brands in a coffee tin that have accumulated over the years from donations from friends and cheap purchases at gun shows. Mind you, with the crude sights that are on it I'm not expecting stellar accuracy anyway. As a friend of mine always said: "Pocket pistols were designed to be used for a gunfight inside a phone-booth ..."

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I am loathe to scope such a sweet handling little rifle, but the Browning is far more accurate than my eyes will allow, especially with the CCI hollow point shorts. Easily minute of squirrel head within reasonable open sight ranges and probably beyond. The CB shorts don't cycle well, but they are quieter than a pellet gun.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Super Moderator

A while back I discovered some awesome 22 Short at Sportsman's Warehouse. It's CCI TARGET 22 Short. 29 grain bullet @830fps. I was rather shocked at how accurate this stuff is in my OM Ruger Single 6, and in my Win 62A. It says it's for rapid fire pistol competition, and they are accurate as all get out. If you can find some, give them a try. Here's another thread I started about them:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...likes-22-Short

Hey, that's my striped rifle! Reverend Al, my buddy has a Beretta Minx .22 short like yours. In the early 80s we were heavy into bowling pin shooting. During practice one day I borrowed the little thing and knocked over 5 pins in 6 seconds shooting them in the head. Phone booth indeed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Actually they do shoot far better than you would expect. It's just the crude sights and the extremely short sight radius that hurts their accuracy ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

That is true. Like shooting a snub nose revolver, any variance in your sight picture or your trigger management will result in the bullets hitting far and wide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A few years back a friend brought his .22 Short only Browning auto rifle (made in Belgium) to me to get the scope regulated and the rifle cleaned. He also brought his current box of CCI 22 CB ammo. Well, thinks me, this won't work. Those rounds will never cycle the action. I loaded the first round in the rifle and at the sound of the shot I could hear the action cycle. Loaded 5 rounds and they functioned the rifle like HV loads. What a surprise. Along with that the rifle grouped these rounds very well. Finished the chore and the friend was happy.

This got me thinking whether these rounds would cycle my Winchester 74 (22 Short only). Gave it a try and they cycled through the rifle without a hitch. I was surprised and happy, now have load level options I would never have believed.

I have another friend who owns a Winchester 62 (not 62A) in 22 Short only. His rifle is in 95% original finish (both metal and wood) and makes me envious every time I see it. Of course he refuses to sell it. Maybe some day he will change his mind.

Boolit Buddy
    This is my old (from the 30s) High Standard Model C, which is a dedicated 22 short shooter. In my youth, I made some walnut target grips for it and used it in the various Turkey shoots that were popular in the 70s. It's accurate and dependable.

[/URL]

We use short HPs for squirrel and BFs to. They seem to transmit the whack into them where LRs shoot through.
    Don't matter much on squirrel but Bull Frogs well dive in and go under a lot of times when hit with LRs. Same hit with Short HP flips him on his back and you can throw him in the sack. In my bunch 22short HPs are called Toad Loads. In honor of a BIL that was from town that had to be taught the difference of toads & frogs.
    I just bought several thousand shorts off a local sports forum. I bought them all and guy cut me $1 box deal. There is Win, Rem and CCIs about half and half HPs and solids. Guys dad had them and they look to be from the 70s or 80s. They had been in cabinet in house and all look new including brick boxes. CCIs are in plastic boxes.

Boolit Master
    Target Sports USA has both .22 Shorts and Longs. If you needed to try some different ones or just wanted to stock up, or read reviews on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast