Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Rust!

Boolit Master

Rust!

Guys I found a product that works really good preventing rust. I,m like any of you when it comes to oiling my guns
    to prevent rust. I have used almost every gun oil made by man (wink). But my biggest fight against rust is in my
    shop with my machine tools & tooling. There again I have tried so many rust prevent inhibitors it would make ones
    head spin. Well I found something that's very good. Sta-Bil rust stopper. Same company the makes the fuel stabilizer.

I started using it on my guns also, I put away for a time. No I do not use it as a gun oil but to just keep the rust away. It is
    pretty new to the market & I have not found it on the shelves in store around me. But Amazon has it if you are interested.

Fly

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be looking into it.

Thanks fly! I gotta check it out. Ive since recently changed to using Fluid Film as my all in one lube, rust inhibitor, rust preventer and its compatible with black powder due to being lanolin based...but if you back this Stab-il product then i definately will give it an honest try as you have yet to steer me wrong. Thanks again fly!

Boolit Master
    I also have Fluid Film & used it a lot. Great product & lube. It protects very well against rust. But this stuff is better for rust inhibiter. FF is thinner
    than the Sta-Lub & the Sta-Lub just stays on much longer.

Fly

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'll give that a try. I don't get rust here at my place, but there is a shoot I go to about 120 miles south of here in a river valley, and a gun will rust terribly overnight. Even With Fluid Film, wax, or anything else I tried.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. I've been using Kroil to coat my firearms and putting them in Gun Socks.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    This stuff is thicker than Kroils or Fluid Film. so it does not take much. What I do is spray a small amount on each gun & wipe
    my guns down with it using my bare hand. It is kinda oily but not much after you spread it out like that. The thing is it does not
    harden or dry out. It stays water repellent. My lathe, Mill & so on sweat when being cold & then it warms up like a cold drink
    you pull from the refrigerator. That when they rust. Not with this stuff. I just stumbled across it & tried some.

Fly

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using Ballistol and will have to give this a try.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I ordered some from amazon. Im sure ill get the results Fly has mentioned. I use Barricade a lot too...thats mainly my rest preventer...fluid film is mainly my lube for the guns internals and will prevent rust...but barricade is better for barrels and cylinders as a rust preventer. If you already have rust and cant get to it right away then best to drown it in fluid film till you can get to it. It kinda "encapsulates" and soaks into the rust to keep it from spreading. Barricade is thin and goes great on clean metal and protects very well. Im hoping this new stuff becomes my all in one oil. Thanks again fly!

Marvel Mystery Oil is A #1 !!