RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lathe Arbor for 98 Mauser

Boolit Master

Lathe Arbor for 98 Mauser

This was a quick job done with a piece of scrape. It was turned between centers. There's a 60 degree center in the 3jaw chuck. Each end is center-drilled and each end is turned 11/16" for use in a collet. Concentricity is under .001".

The threaded portion needs to be trimmed back just a bit but its function as it is. Action is a junk FN Venezuelan.

Can you see the cast bullet used in the set-up?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0769.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	244670

Name:	DSCF0773.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	244671

Name:	DSCF0777kk.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	244672

The arbor length was almost too short. It needs to be about 1/2" to 1" longer but as it is it works fine.

Name:	DSCF0775.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	244673

Name:	DSCF0765kk.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	244674

Moderator Emeritus

Always been impressed with what some folks can do. Keep saying someday I would like to get one but it would take a few operations that would hopefully allow me to stand for longer than 30-45 minutes.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve never understood the rationale for facing Mauser actions. On those actions, the barrel butts up against the stop inside the action, not the front of the receiver ring, like a Remington, Winchester, etc.

With the slow lock time, short barrel stub, generous magazine cut out, etc of a ‘98 action, I just don’t think they make a good basis for a real accuracy rig. Plus you’ll need to bend the bolt handle, drill and tap for scope bases, trigger rework, (safety for a low mounted scope)?

60 years ago, they were plentiful and cheap, I get it. Now an “donor” Remington is about the same in price as a donor Mauser, and more common.

nice thing about America is everyone is allowed to do what interests them.

Boolit Mold
    sometimes its not the money....its the craft...building a nice hunting gun for yourself is always nice...ive done plenty of mausers and you can get them down to .75 at 100...which aint bad at all...its kinda like a car...course you can buy one...but build one? way different story

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the write up. Been Slooooowly building a custom 98 for myself for many years now, currently thinking it will be a 6.5-06 if I ever get back to it. Just need to get a few other way more important projects done. I have read that with patience and diligence one can get both shoulders to snug up simultaneously???
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post
    I’ve never understood the rationale for facing Mauser actions. On those actions, the barrel butts up against the stop inside the action, not the front of the receiver ring, like a Remington, Winchester, etc.

With the slow lock time, short barrel stub, generous magazine cut out, etc of a ‘98 action, I just don’t think they make a good basis for a real accuracy rig. Plus you’ll need to bend the bolt handle, drill and tap for scope bases, trigger rework, (safety for a low mounted scope)?

60 years ago, they were plentiful and cheap, I get it. Now an “donor” Remington is about the same in price as a donor Mauser, and more common.
    I got my start with custom gun work by building a Mauser and making it shoot (35 years ago?). It's takes a terrible amount of work to make them shoot as well as say a 700 or even a 110 does right out of the box, but if you do everything right, every mod for accuracy, and more important, understand what and why you're doing it, what's learned can be applied to a far simpler, newer action with terrific results. Would I be interested in adding another Mauser to the fleet of match rifles, no - but the couple or three that I spent time with hold their own against all others in similar class. I've shifted gears and interest. I still have about a dozen or so Mauser's ranging from large double square bridge Vektor to a reduced frame that I started from bar stock intending to be a rimfire rodent rifle - eventually they may see completion. Something nostalgic about these things I guess. To those that build on a mauser, be sure you understand the limitations, the processes, and the reasoning (Peter Paul von Mauser included many features in the later actions that were subtle but with a very justified cause that many students of the rifle to this day remain clueless) - like any other addiction, they can easily be the first step down a slippery slope.
    Greg

Boolit Master
    But a Remington is only just another Remington. When you do all that work to make a Remington a top quality accuracy rig you could have paid for a custom action. That often includes a new bolt, trigger and bottom metal. So all you use is the receiver. How is that much better than a nice FN Mauser for a hunting rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post

EDG

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Always been impressed with what some folks can do. Keep saying someday I would like to get one but it would take a few operations that would hopefully allow me to stand for longer than 30-45 minutes.
    My sympathies. I've got the machines, but rarely use them because I can't stand in front of them for long. Jobs which once took an hour now get done in ten-minute increments over a couple of days.
    Cognitive Dissident