Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lee Mold Handles Modification for Lyman or RCBS

Boolit Master

Lee Mold Handles Modification for Lyman or RCBS

Thinning the handles is pretty easy. You could probably do it with a file. I used the mill.
    I went about .010" (ten thou) less than the slot in the mold blocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1497.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	244665

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1503eb.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	244666

Boolit Buddy
    I used a file on the bottom of the handles so mold would sit on factory flat side of handles. Worked fine

Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful! Not having a milling machine, and KNOWING it would surely look like the other extreme from "heaven" with my butchering with a file, I hit upon the idea of chucking a piece of 1/2" steel rod in my Rockwell Delta 14" drill press. On to it, I used almost an entire roll of el cheapo Harbor Freight vinyl electric tape to secure my Dremel, which had a carbide burr/mill chucked in it, to it. A 36" yardstick was taped around the rod/Dremel, with it's other end being kept from moving (turning) by the wall .
    I fastened my mould handles in a drill press vice, maybe 3/32" above its jaws, using a steel ruler along its edge to insure I was plane. I put a 10 pound weight lifting weight on a wire holding the drill press chuck handle (mine is the 3-prong type) down, and carefully adjusted the depth using the knurled screw for that purpose until it was (technical term, here) almost a smidgeon from the jaw. I started the Dremel -- wearing goggles and holding my breath ) and made an "air" pass; turned the screw to lower the Dremel a hair, and started removing material. I do not recall how many passes I needed to make -- LOTS! -- being disappointed at the time as to how little material was being removed. However -- surprise to me -- it had been -- and my first "test" had the Lee handles fitting the mould, albeit a tad too tight for my liking. I then rubber cemented some 600 grit wet n' dry paper to the drill press table, and remarkably, no less than six or seven passes made for a perfect fit!
    Nowhere near professional, I am sure, as a machinist with a mill -- as you showed -- can do; but -- necessity being the mother of invention -- my adaptation worked!
    geo