Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Got an old friend back yesterday, and it is going to stay here!

Boolit Master

Got an old friend back yesterday, and it is going to stay here!

As most of us do, in trading and swapping, we occasionally make a trade we regret! About 10 years ago, I had a Jonathan Browning Mountain rifle, .45 caliber in mint, unfired condition. I never did shoot it, but have shot one a buddy has a lot, and they are great tack drivers. I kept it for a year or so, and never did shoot it since I had several custom ML's that I shot in competition. Eventually a friend had to have it, and I made a great deal, for me. Time has went on and I checked with him and he never shot it, just showed it to friends and kept her clean. A few weeks ago he traded it into our local gunshop, which has a soft spot for ML's. I found that out and had been scheming on how to get it, without paying an arm and a leg. Last week I was up in Lexington at a LGS and saw a mint, unfired T/C Cherokee. I dreaded to look at the price, but when I picked it up the tag read $285! I asked him if he could do any better and he said that would include tax. I paid the gent and left quickly, hardly believing my good luck never even got home with it. I stopped by the gun shop, did a quick wipe down with an oily rag and went in. I knew he loved the Cherokees, and he had one in .32 and .36, but not as slick as this one in .45. I showed him the rifle and he was hooked, and asked me how much. I told him it was not how much, but what, and I would trade it to the Browning, even up. With a little haggling, I threw in a nice knife, that I had $8 in, a flea market find, that cleaned up as new, and had never been sharpened, a Estwing that was worth about $60. He eagerly got the browning and handed it to me, and I was off to home. I hope to get out and shoot it tomorrow or this weekend, but it is a keeper, and I hope it stays with me the rest of my days! Just thought I would share.

Boolit Grand Master

Wonderful story an congratulations! Now shoot that thing, you've been waiting way too long!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

great story, good for you! hope she shoots well enuf for ya to stay for good!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Don’t let it sit around this time or it migh run off and find a new home again...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Bub
    Love it when a plan comes together. Congratulations sir.

Wow! Didn't you get lucky! Fate moves in mysterious ways. I hope it exceeds your expectations.

I like the way you roll - KUDO'S ! !

Last edited by pietro; 07-05-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

What a story! Its great to hear when things work out like that

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I belong to a group who used to have a couple big trade sessions every year. At one of these, one of the guys had a really nice flintlock rifle I liked, so I traded for it. It sure seemed familiar, and after I had shot it a few times, I thought I should do a detail strip and be sure there was no serious rust in the barrel channel. Well, I got the barrel out, and found my name and date from about 20 years previous on the barrel. So, I traded back for one of my own rifles! I thought it looked kind of familiar, but didn't remember building it!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!