MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R Handi-rifle reliability

Boolit Buddy

H&R Handi-rifle reliability

I bought a used Handi-rifle in 280 Remington on Gunbroker. At the range it would not fire (factory ammo). I sent it to H&R for repair and had them put on a 45-70 barrel while it was there. I then bought a new Handi-rifle in 44 magnum. It worked for several shots, but then quit. Back to the factory for service. Both rifles work fine now, but I'm concerned about reliability. I would like to take the 280 to Missouri to deer hunt (I live in Indiana), but don't want to get there and the rifle not function. Is this normal or have I just had unusually bad luck? Any thoughts on the matter would be helpful.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 223 for my dad but every time he fired it the action popped open. They have their fans, but my experience has been that they are pretty much a gunsmithing project.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    i have a .223 ultra that is the most reliable, accurate rifle i have ever owned. I will admit though, that my 13 year old son has stolen it for his groundhog hunts, as it is alot cheaper to shoot than his .243. i have not tried cast boolits in it as i cant get it from his hands long enough to do load developement.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the single shots due to their compact size.I currently have a Henry in 223/.556,and a CVA 7mm08,and I honestly like the CVA better .It has a much better trigger. I have had a couple of Handi-Rifles in the past,and the only issue I ever had is that they seem to be a little large in the chamber dimensions. I assume they are in spec however.You need to be careful when you set your dies,or just use a neck die.If you ever get a "light strike" it is probably an issue with the brass sizing rather than the rifle.I would say the chamber is probably in spec,but H&R must have a little more headspace than say Savage. I have always found most of them to be tight chambered.If Iwas only shooting factory ammo.I would try to find a brand that fires every time,but you can spend a lot in experimenting,so to be honest I would not trust one to be my main hunter if I did not size my own brass.I cant remember if it was Buds, or Kentucky gun co,but one of them had them 783 Remingtons for somewere around the low $200 range.I think they were only selling 7Rem mags for that,but if you like 280,then I assume you would like 7mmRem.
    Last edited by Elroy; 07-04-2019 at 07:06 PM.

I had an H&R hunter on 308, using mil surplus ammo it would fail to extract. I sent it back to H&R and they returned it fixed. It continued to fail to extract so I sold it.

Had an NEF 20 gauge that the transfer bar fell out of. They fixed it and it went. Ten years without incident until I lost it in a house fire.

Then I bought a NEF 357 rifle and other than a heavy trigger it had no issues. I regret selling it.

Now I have a duplicate of that 20 gauge and again no issues.

My experience is that they are solid guns but have their quirks. I trust mine.

Banned
    An FFL friends H&R 300 BO -w- a can is one of his favorite guns. He runs a lot of subsonic loads through it for a single shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had issue, too. Right now I have a .223 in the shop for a FTF issue. Upon examination, I found a glitch in the Hamer travel. Just enough to slow the hammer and make it unreliable. Having the innards honed and polished. Other I've had were flawless.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My 30-30 feels trustworthy. I have no reason to doubt it. My gunsmith checked it out and he liked it. I don't know if I'd take it on an out-of-state hunting trip, not because I worry about it, but because I have nicer sporting rifles that will shoot farther than a 30-30.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

I have 2, a .223 w/ 20ga bbl and .45-70 bbl.

A .280Rem w/ .30-30 bbl.

Never had a problem with either.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have a collection of H&R Handi-Rifles. 223 to 45-70. I have shot all of them a lot over the years.
    None have broken but I do work on them to keep them in tip top shape. Have killed a few deer with them.
    I have a 35 Whelen that I hunt with most of the time. My 11 year old grandson shoots the 223 a lot.
    The 45-70 I load with Trail Boss and have a set of Williams peep sights installed and shoot 50 rounds at the range without any problems with heavy recoil.

Boolit Master

My 357 on a SB1 frame would lock up with mild loads due to primer flow. It could be unlocked by dry firing, but something in the action broke after 100ish rounds. Even fixed, I wouldn't trust it for much.

Only one of my collection right now that does not work, broken transfer bar.

I have the part, slave pin, and the knowledge, just needs 3 hands.

.223 Rem, 9mm stubb job, 7.62x39, .30-30/20 ga combo, .300BO. .444marlin, pair of .44mags, one of which does pop open on fire now and then. Alcohol swab, clean catch and strike plate and it quits again, for a while.
    Ohh and a .45 colt, pair of 12 ga, and another 20ga.

Most of those are comeplete guns but there are a couple of combo's I've put together. Like the .223rem and a 12 ga barrel, with ammo for both, in case ready to go. Same for the .30-30/20 ga combo.

I’ve had a 357 mag handirifle with a fixed 4 Weaver for the past half dozen years. I don’t load real hot, but it shoots absolutely lights out with 160gr Keith type boolits over 2400. It’s one of the more entertaining range guns, especially with young kids.

My gunsmith had turn one to shoot 327mag for me, I have not had any problems. He had the barrel made and all that gose on it for it he made himself . If I ever have some money I will think of what barrel I would have him make for it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    The two I had were NEF, one a .270 and the other a 30/30. The .270 would fire factory loads all day long but I could never make a handload that it liked too well. I dunno what happened to that rifle. The 30/30 shot everything well. Just a year or so ago I had it rechambered to 30/30 A.I. I don't recall ever killing anything with that rifle, and I've had it for over twenty years I think. My youngest son used to borrow it when he was old enough and has taken many deer with it. I used the .270 and got a truckload of deer the first year..... I like single shot rifles!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I didn't know there was anyplace to get new barrels put on them. I've shot SB-1's and SB-2's with little problems.

Boolit Buddy
    You guys that have broken transfer bars, Contact Jack First in S.D. for his repair parts kit
    for the H&R's. Costs a little but is steel and not aluminum. I've used several of his kits and
    recommend them.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    You guys that have broken transfer bars, Contact Jack First in S.D. for his repair parts kit
    for the H&R's. Costs a little but is steel and not aluminum. I've used several of his kits and
    recommend them.
    webfoot10
    The original parts were steel also, but apparently H&R did not use the proper steel or used the wrong heat treatment for the steel used.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    The CVA rifles are much better if you can find one in the caliber you want. I have one in 35 Remington and one in 300 Blackout. Both are good shooters and the triggers are worlds better than the HR guns.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    I bought a used Handi-rifle in 280 Remington on Gunbroker. At the range it would not fire (factory ammo). I sent it to H&R for repair and had them put on a 45-70 barrel while it was there. I then bought a new Handi-rifle in 44 magnum. It worked for several shots, but then quit. Back to the factory for service. Both rifles work fine now, but I'm concerned about reliability. I would like to take the 280 to Missouri to deer hunt (I live in Indiana), but don't want to get there and the rifle not function. Is this normal or have I just had unusually bad luck? Any thoughts on the matter would be helpful.
    Unless you really love the Handi .280, I bet you could sell it, buy a new Savage Axis, and pocket the difference. SB2 Handi's just keep going up in price and .280 is an uncommon chambering.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast