Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A word of thanks to all

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Grayscale - some words to live by:

"No one is more happy than the least-happy member of the family"

(sigh)
    TRUTH
    In other words - Happy Wife, happy life .....
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Man
    (?) Wha? Wrong impression given. No strife with wife. and she's supportive of my manias as I am of hers. Plus she shoots with me and that's a real plus in my book, (She loves the Seecamp she got for her birthday). She sends me off to hunt whatever, and cooks what I drag home. My stress is just about splitting limited time over too many projects. I'm doing bedroom remodels to her spec's. Wainscoting, chair rails, color scheme, ceiling tiles. All good, But takes time.
    Always happily married (37 yrs.) Grayscale

Cast Boolits Owner

Welcome aboard Grayscale!

16ga is my favorite shotgun caliber. I have the gear to cast shot and reload the empties but haven’t run out of factory rounds yet. One day the empty cases, shot maker and Hornady 366 will cross paths.

PS. I need a 16ga slug mold to round out the kit.

Take care,
    Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Man
    Progress Report.
    Small shot is easy. Large shot is hard. I made multiple trials of larger dripper sizes yesterday. In most cases the bismuth would stream rather than drip Except at the start and finish
    of a melt. This with the lowest practical heat setting on the ladle. When just starting to flow, and with melt level dropping below the dripper inflows, I was getting 2's 3's and BB's from a .040 dripper I drilled out from a smaller aperture. This tells me that the larger shot are do-able with adaquate control. So flow rate vs head pressure vs aperture. I puzzled on that all evening, then woke this morning at O dark thirty with an epiphany. And then couldn't get back to sleep darn it. Will gather more materials and do more testing this coming weekend. If Anything works I'll report details.
    Always Experimenting, Grayscale

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale View Post
    Progress Report.
    Small shot is easy. Large shot is hard. I made multiple trials of larger dripper sizes yesterday. In most cases the bismuth would stream rather than drip Except at the start and finish
    of a melt. This with the lowest practical heat setting on the ladle. When just starting to flow, and with melt level dropping below the dripper inflows, I was getting 2's 3's and BB's from a .040 dripper I drilled out from a smaller aperture. This tells me that the larger shot are do-able with adaquate control. So flow rate vs head pressure vs aperture. I puzzled on that all evening, then woke this morning at O dark thirty with an epiphany. And then couldn't get back to sleep darn it. Will gather more materials and do more testing this coming weekend. If Anything works I'll report details.
    Always Experimenting, Grayscale
    My experience with this machine is, if you want larger shot:
    - use 1 a single hole dripper (block the other outlet off)
    - extend the drip ramp allow shot to bounce more than once for entering free fall
    - have adjustable base under the shotmaker (raise base to increase feed rate, lower to decrease feed rate)
    - TC the melt in the pan so when you find the optimum temp for your alloy you can repeat it.
    - TC the coolant tank and have a re-circulation pump (best temp I found was just under 100 degree F)

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Man
    Progress report Two.
    After several attempts, have made a prototype adjustable dripper. Testing tomorrow. It may fall flatter than day old beer, but if it works....
    Always testing, Grayscale

USMC 77, USRA 79

will be watching...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Man
    Vaguely disturbing...

Boolit Man
    Progress report Three,
    Works well as a flow rate control, but drop size still dependent on aperture vs temp vs ?. More drill bits arriving soon for further testing. At minimum its nice to
    be able to turn the flow on and off. And I finished installing the ceiling tiles, oh my aching neck...
    Always busy, Grayscale

Boolit Man
    Progress Four,
    With a (.036) aperture I can reliably produce #6's, Yay, I've reinvented the wheel. .038 and .040 produce 6's with an small admixture of 5's and 4's. Moving up to an .045 produces a mix of 45% #6,
    45% mixed 4's and 5's and 4% 3's, 2's and 1's with the remainder blobs and rejects. Temperature seems to be less a factor than head pressure as the larger shot are produced at the end of a run when
    the melt is dropping below the dripper inflow. The dripper design seems to work, now I have to address controlling head pressure over the duration of the run. But that will have to wait. Last duck season I loaded Roto Metals #6 Bis and it was outstanding. I set out to make # 6 Bismuth at a lower cost and I'm there. I've got 50 lbs. of Bismuth ( Hallmark Metals fleabay store $310 & free delivery)
    its just over a week till the beginning of dove season and little more than a month till duck season. I gotta make shot and load shells for myself and a few friends. But I'm not going to stop thinking about
    making larger shot and I'll get back to it in the spring. If larger pellets drop as an uncontrolled part of a run then I just have to figure out the random factor. When I do, I will present a full report with images.
    Going Hunting, Grayscale

Boolit Man
    Note: 1 1/8 oz. size 6.5 Bismuth at 1250 fps is a real dove smasher.
    Happy Hunting, Grayscale

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    That sounds like a wicked dove load !!

Boolit Master

I didn't think dove would be that tough to kill ..... never tried dove hunting.
    Last edited by dsh1106; 09-07-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Scott

I haven't hunted dove since high school years. My shotgun at the time was a full choked model 12 Winchester made in 1917. (I still own it) As I remember I just used low base loads most of the time with a few Pheasant loads if I was cash poor and had some laying around. With the heavier loads there wasn't much left of the bird. grayscale I've enjoyed reading about your dripper tests. Gp

Boolit Man
    Not hard to kill, but fast and erratic, great practice for duck season and very tasty too! Could have used a lighter load but my old (my Dads) Browning A5 runs best with a slightly heavier load and I love hunting with it. 1 3/8' oz. loads are great for ducks over decoys.
    28 lbs # 6 made on Saturday, Keeping busy, Grayscale

Boolit Man
    Wah! 44 lbs. # 6 made with an additional 2 lbs. of incidental 2's and 4's. Picked up a harbor freight tumbler and my Marty's Arms T shot mold arrived yesterday!!
    It's all coming together. LOOK OUT GEESE!!
    Thinking predatory thoughts, Grayscale

Boolit Man
    Load note, Duck and goose begins in less than one week and I have my heavy goose load. From Lyman # 5, 2 oz of hand cast Bismuth T shot in a Remington 3 1/2 inch mag. ( Insert evil laugh ) Patterns 96 percent through a Modified choke at 40 yards. Punches through 3/8's plywood at 50 yards. Now that's a wicked load.
    Cackling with Glee, Grayscale

Boolit Master

Have at 'em, grayscale, I see duck plucking in your future!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the thought Centershot but unfortunately,
    it was My turn for a dose of irony, Woke up Friday morning to get on the road and found that my flu shot had worked, I had the Flu. Haven't gone anywhere for days.
    My partners got seventeen ducks and Eight (!) whitefronted geese between them. (*&^%$#@) Oh well, the season, around here starts in a week and and a half,
    I'll be better by then.
    Hacking with the crud, Grayscale

Boolit Man
    I am happy to report that my home brewed shot works a treat on ducks, limited out in an hour and a half. Then I took a nap on the bank while waiting for my friend to get his limit. (He didn't, but that's just luck) I woke up to him calling to geese, the only opportunity of the day. Two whitefronts passed between us at forty-five yards altitude. My two ounce t-shot loads have now accounted for their first goose with the hope for many more. They do speak with authority at both ends of the gun! Knee deep in feathers, Grayscale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast